(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

The last time I packed at the last minute for a cruise, the only long pants that I remembered to pack were part of my tux. I had to wear shorts in the MDR (the horror!) :eek:. It's only a 5 day cruise with 2 ports (Cozumel and Costa Maya). We'll probably end up throwing a bunch of things in suitcases on Saturday and hope we don't forget anything. Very much anti-anal.

That sounds like me! My wife is much more of a planner than I am. I usually start packing the day before we leave, where she has almost everything packed a week or two in advance. Her: "What if you forget your ties?" Me: "Uh, I won't wear one? Or I'll buy an ugly one the ship?" Her: "What if you forget to bring long pants!" Me: "I'll wear shorts!", etc, etc. Good times! My attitude is as long as I remember my camera gear, credit cards, ID and passport, all will be fine...

There's a "Pro" setting on smart phones? Man, I just don't use that thing enough.

We don't have many Uncles in prison. But we do love to cruise on different lines and ships. Trying the forth line this year. Heresy to some...haha

Keep em coming Harry. It makes my day!!

Did the taxi driver wait for you guys to take you back to the ship? That’s always my fear on going to the beach in the afternoon on getting back to the ship on time. But at Antigua we had a later departure time so it helps (all aboard is 5:30 and in winter time, the sun sets earlier so I would imagine the beach would start to clear after 4 PM).

St. Kitts had an all aboard at 4:30 so that would be a more risky move to stay out later.

If I remember correctly we got there around 2 and asked him to come back around 3:30, but I think he came closer to 4. The later departure did give us plenty of time. One thing I notice is we did not get to catch any of the nighttime sailaways as we were always busy doing stuff on the ship, except for that temporary return to St. Kitts. Your nighttime pictures are so pretty.

If I remember correctly we got there around 2 and asked him to come back around 3:30, but I think he came closer to 4. The later departure did give us plenty of time. One thing I notice is we did not get to catch any of the nighttime sailaways as we were always busy doing stuff on the ship, except for that temporary return to St. Kitts. Your nighttime pictures are so pretty.

We've been to Antigua twice and each time got a taxi to one of the beaches. We set up a time for the driver to pick us up and the driver was there at least 15 minutes before the stated time. The taxis we have taken have been very responsible and courteous. Wouldn't hesitate to hire them again and go anywhere on the island. It is such a beautiful island, one of my favorites. And I agree your night photos leaving the island are stunning!!

Oh, you bad man in wearing shorts to MDR.

The fashion police here at CC would have a lynch mob after you for breaking the dress code. These people should stand in the front of each deck of MDR and point out to the head waiter what people walking in is breaking the dress code and should be removed from MDR and be forced to eat at the lowly WJ.

You plan to do anything special at the 2 ports or just relax at a beach somewhere?

If you use Shutterfly for picture uploads, it’s easier than Flickr as you don’t have to do any trimming so that will make your trip report go faster. Yeah, by time you return from the cruise, I will either be done with this trip report or at the very tail end of it. It is difficult to estimate that far out as we all have other real life commitments and not always easy to find time to do this little hobby of mine.

But whenever you get back, do drop us a bone here with some fancy dancy Grand Suite picture uploads. We all have suite envy here. I’m just slumming it down on deck 2 with dirty port holes so I like to know how the privileges 1% lives…

I don't know if threatening that someone will need to eat in the WJ is really a punishment. We ate dinner three times in the WJ during our recent med cruise. It was surprisingly good, we could wear casual clothes (including shorts!), and we could eat quickly. Worked great after a long day in port when we didn't want to "dress" for the MDR. Others must have felt the same as us as the place was packed each time we ate there. When we ate in the MDR, it was 75% full at most. Trend??

For our upcoming cruise, we have a Native Choice tour of the Chacchoben ruins scheduled for Costa Maya, and will spend the day at Nachi Cocom beach club in Cozumel. We considered going to Maya Chan Beach in Costa Maya since it gets great reviews, but that would have meant that our 5 day cruise involved 3 sea days and 2 days at a beach club. We wanted at least one day where we did something active (although thinking back on it now, I'm not sure why. :D)

I switched to Shutterfly and agree that it's very easy to cut/paste. If you look at my old reviews in my signatures, you'll see a lot of those Photobucket boxes saying that I can unlock my pictures if I pay their ransom, where my carefully edited pictures used to be. Aaarggghhh! :mad: It's not the hosting site cut/paste that takes the most time for me. I shoot in RAW format with a camera and edit everything in Lightroom before turning it into a .jpg. I'm too anal to just shoot a regular .jpg image and post it straight out of the camera. What if my colors are slightly off? What if the horizon is slightly tilted? What if my picture of the pool at night is too dark? I can't live that way. It shouldn't be called OCD...it should called CDO, in proper alphabetical order. :D

OK, OK, OK...I'll post some GS pics when I get back. I'll give you the advanced GS review right now...the extra space was awesome, the bathroom was awesome, the suite perks were awesome, yada, yada, yada. I'm just worried that once you go suite, you can never go back.

That sounds like me! My wife is much more of a planner than I am. I usually start packing the day before we leave, where she has almost everything packed a week or two in advance. Her: "What if you forget your ties?" Me: "Uh, I won't wear one? Or I'll buy an ugly one the ship?" Her: "What if you forget to bring long pants!" Me: "I'll wear shorts!", etc, etc. Good times! My attitude is as long as I remember my camera gear, credit cards, ID and passport, all will be fine...

While I won't think about my clothes until Saturday, I'm off now to organize my electronics. Everything needs to be charged and properly stored in my camera bag. Priorities.

For our upcoming cruise, we have a Native Choice tour of the Chacchoben ruins scheduled for Costa Maya, and will spend the day at Nachi Cocom beach club in Cozumel. We considered going to Maya Chan Beach in Costa Maya since it gets great reviews, but that would have meant that our 5 day cruise involved 3 sea days and 2 days at a beach club. We wanted at least one day where we did something active (although thinking back on it now, I'm not sure why. :D)

Since detours and side reviews are allowed - I have done all 3.

Our Native Choice tour was very good. Much smaller group than the ones from the ship and our guide was top notch. He was able to answer questions from the group and I never felt rushed.

We did Nachi and Maya Chan 2 days back to back in Dec. It was my 5th time to Nachi and first to Maya Chan. Both were wonderful relaxing days. If I could only do one I think it would be Maya Chan. Other than the road (which is as bad as they say) everything was perfect (we even had 2 passing rain storms). I clearly enjoy Nachi since I keep going back

Sorry to read about your eye problem, I had a similar occurrence several years ago. Ever since then I never travel with Refresh Tears Lubricant Eye Drops and Refresh P.M. Lubricant Ointment, both of which can be purchased over the counter.

Hi, Jim,

Thanks for the info. I will add these items to my Amazon shopping cart and purchase them next time we go on a Caribbean cruise. I had thought I was protected from the sand with my glasses from any straight on shot but guess it came in from the side or underneath of the glasses.

Hi Harry,

I love catching up on each new instalment every day - I will be sad and at a loss when your review ends.

I love each detail and feel that I was there too! And your pictures are amazing

Keep the review going

Sarah

Hi, Sarah,

Thanks for the compliment. Appreciate you reading along. I try my best to add something nightly but with full time job and being a dad, it's not always easy to find the time and energy to do so.

Pictures are just advancement in technology making things easier and also the thick skin to stick my phone out at WJ at every buffet stations...

There's a "Pro" setting on smart phones? Man, I just don't use that thing enough.

We don't have many Uncles in prison. But we do love to cruise on different lines and ships. Trying the forth line this year. Heresy to some...haha

Keep em coming Harry. It makes my day!!

There is a "pro" setting for the newer Samsung phones. Since I don't know your phone model/make, I can't comment.

Check online to see what settings your phone has.

Here is one YouTube video on how to use the Samsung camera:

It makes your day, eh? You going Client Eastwood on me? Young folks have no idea what I'm talking about...

We didn't leave the beach until 2:30 so we were there the same time.

Yeah, there are always too many things to do every day on the cruise so it's hard to catch all the activities.

Night time pictures are better everytime I upgrade my cell phone as the aperture value on them keeps improving with every generation and that makes taking night time pictures really easy.

I don't know if threatening that someone will need to eat in the WJ is really a punishment. We ate dinner three times in the WJ during our recent med cruise. It was surprisingly good, we could wear casual clothes (including shorts!), and we could eat quickly. Worked great after a long day in port when we didn't want to "dress" for the MDR. Others must have felt the same as us as the place was packed each time we ate there. When we ate in the MDR, it was 75% full at most. Trend??

I switched to Shutterfly and agree that it's very easy to cut/paste. If you look at my old reviews in my signatures, you'll see a lot of those Photobucket boxes saying that I can unlock my pictures if I pay their ransom, where my carefully edited pictures used to be. Aaarggghhh! :mad: It's not the hosting site cut/paste that takes the most time for me. I shoot in RAW format with a camera and edit everything in Lightroom before turning it into a .jpg. I'm too anal to just shoot a regular .jpg image and post it straight out of the camera. What if my colors are slightly off? What if the horizon is slightly tilted? What if my picture of the pool at night is too dark? I can't live that way. It shouldn't be called OCD...it should called CDO, in proper alphabetical order. :D

OK, OK, OK...I'll post some GS pics when I get back. I'll give you the advanced GS review right now...the extra space was awesome, the bathroom was awesome, the suite perks were awesome, yada, yada, yada. I'm just worried that once you go suite, you can never go back.

Oh, you are a RAW shooter. My other brother in law is also into it. He spent countless hours playing with Photoshop to perfect his pictures. My ADHD doesn't allow me to sit that long for one thing.

I think you saw my pictures last year from the Freedom cruise on Chaccoben ruins. The tour was with RCI so your tour will be more personalized. Bring mosquito repellent.

Have a great time on your cruise if we don' speak before you leave.

While I won't think about my clothes until Saturday, I'm off now to organize my electronics. Everything needs to be charged and properly stored in my camera bag. Priorities.

Yeah, with all the phones/cameras/tablets, you need to track chargers and cables on every trip. With every new model of phones, they seem to switch cables and plugs and adapters. Royal pain to remember which cable goes with which phone.

Since detours and side reviews are allowed - I have done all 3.

Our Native Choice tour was very good. Much smaller group than the ones from the ship and our guide was top notch. He was able to answer questions from the group and I never felt rushed.

We did Nachi and Maya Chan 2 days back to back in Dec. It was my 5th time to Nachi and first to Maya Chan. Both were wonderful relaxing days. If I could only do one I think it would be Maya Chan. Other than the road (which is as bad as they say) everything was perfect (we even had 2 passing rain storms). I clearly enjoy Nachi since I keep going back

Of course detours are welcome. Isn't that the whole point of these forums - to help our fellow travelers?

I never believe in the concept of "hijacking" or having diversion. We are all here to share travel stories and info in an attempt to make each other's vacation 0.02% better.

So if anyone has any travel stories or pictures to share, come on over. BYO Whatever party here. My ego isn't that big or fragile to be upset over changes in topic. It's like having a meal with friends at the biggest virtual table and we all shares info/stories/pictures...

Hey, Harry,

I've been lurking, all the way from Australia, since you began your trip report. I've read your others, too, and really enjoy them. I plan to put some of your tips to use on our transPacific on Explorer in 73 days *does happy dance*

Thanks for the fabulous photos and the laughs! Cheers.

Hey, Harry,

I've been lurking, all the way from Australia, since you began your trip report. I've read your others, too, and really enjoy them. I plan to put some of your tips to use on our transPacific on Explorer in 73 days *does happy dance*

Thanks for the fabulous photos and the laughs! Cheers.

Hi, Susie,

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate you reading along.

I have always liked people that pops in to say hi and and hopefully the info I have provided will be helpful on your cruise. That's what makes it worthwhile - knowing you help your fellow travelers and making new friends.

Have a great cruise in couple months. When you say transPaciifc, how many days are we talking about here? What is your itinerary? Must be a long cruise to cross the Pacific.

(OK, back to the story line)

Now assuming we follow the story line time frame, my wife and the boys went upstairs to play mini golf with the nieces and they also took some sail away pictures. So I am going to back fill here and add in the pictures they captured.

So as you all recall, the rest of the fam went upstairs to play mini golf while I rested my eye. I guess from looking at the wife’s pictures afterward, they walked around and took pictures of the sail away as well. I think they were in the same area just moments before me as they have similar pictures.

Boys playing mini golf

enhance

enhance

Costa ship

enhance

enhance

Same deck 12 area I was in, except looking at the sky, they were here a tad earlier than me. Think that was the Seaside taking off in the background (apparently with sewage smell per reviews...)

enhance

Hey, Harry,

Yeah, it's a blissful 23 nights of cruising. We leave Sydney and head to Noumea and Lifou in New Caledonia, then to Mystery Island in Vanuatu. Next is Suva and Lautoka in Fiji, then six sea days to Honolulu and Lahaina. And then it's over to Seattle, where we'll disembark and have a couple of days before heading to Victoria, BC, on the fast ferry for an overnighter. Next day onto another ferry to Vancouver from where we'll fly home after a couple more days. So excited!!

Hey, Harry,

Yeah, it's a blissful 23 nights of cruising. We leave Sydney and head to Noumea and Lifou in New Caledonia, then to Mystery Island in Vanuatu. Next is Suva and Lautoka in Fiji, then six sea days to Honolulu and Lahaina. And then it's over to Seattle, where we'll disembark and have a couple of days before heading to Victoria, BC, on the fast ferry for an overnighter. Next day onto another ferry to Vancouver from where we'll fly home after a couple more days. So excited!!

Wow, super wow. 23 days cruise. I think you will be on first name basis with half of the ship's people by time the cruise is over.

Not that I will ever have the money to do such a long cruise but just imagine if I had to write a trip report from a 23 day cruise on top of extra days post cruise? It might take me 5 months to crank that sucker out...;p

Have a wonderful cruise. Very exciting indeed.

Anyway, so I went back to the cabin to meet up with the fam and I think we just hung out there as I don’t have any pictures and I know one of the nieces came over to our cabin to play cards with the boys. So I think I went back to rest my eyes while they played until dinner time since the eye was still bugging me and I had to go to the bathroom periodically to wipe off the excess tears coming from it.

Sigh. Not good.

There was no entertainment show tonight as there was an option to have the ice show tonight on day 6 or day 8. Seeing that day 6 was a port day, we thought it would have been too tiring to do a show on day 6 if we somehow came back late and day 8 would be easier as we would be on the ship all day so we picked up tickets for the show for day 8 instead. Unlike the Freedom, Indy makes you get tickets for the ice show in advance. On the Freedom, you just show up.

So took a picture of the guy vacuuming the carpet as we walked over to MDR for dinner.

I’m sure you are thinking, ”Dude, we know what a guy with a vacuum cleaner looks like. You don’t need to take a picture of it. You need to get out more often…” yes, while that last part may be true, that’s not the point here.

I’m sure nobody ever wonder about this (at least average normal person wouldn’t), but I’m just curious on how much sand does the average ship collect on a Caribbean port day? Meaning if each passenger comes back from the beach with let’s say X ounce of sand on their feet/clothes and then deposits them in the ship upon boarding, how many pounds would that be? I’m sure the hallways and stair cases tend to have more sands on Caribbean beach days than an average day.

Anyway, I like numbers so these kinds of math questions intrigue me as I wonder how many pounds are in all the portable vacuum cleaners ship wide when they empty them after each port.

Yeah, yeah, I know the rest of you don’t care so you can just skip the picture…

enhance

The dinner menu tonight is called Thyme.

OK, here is another one of those Andy Rooney minutes. Yes, I realize none of the younger crowd knows who Andy Rooney is (Hint: he was a backup singer to Selena Gomez on her last worldwide tour) and I am dating myself in mentioning his name, but whatever.

So as Royal in their “old menu” (supposedly to be changed out soon as it already been done on some newer ships), they name the menu after some sort of spice. Our dinner theme for tonight is “Thyme” (see the not very straight picture below). They usually follow it with some sort of historical explanation on what it is and how it’s used.

Now typically I don’t read this as I have no time to read it. By time I look through the selection to decide what I want to order and then share my thoughts with the family on what they will order (and see if we need to order extra something to share), the waiter standing next to me ready to accept my order. But if you have time to read this, it's interesting.

If your phone or monitor doesn’t allow zooming in, here is what it says about Thyme – “It pairs well with lamb and is wonderful addition to our al dente pasta dishes”.

So you want to have lamb tonight to see what Thyme tastes like with lamb. Except when you look at the main course listing, there is NO LAMB. We had lamb last night but not tonight. Ehhh? I thought it pairs well with lamb? Why aren't they offering lamb tonight instead of last night? How does that work when they say it pairs well with lamb but it's not on the menu?

Now I didn’t go back to the first 5 nights to cross reference if there is a correlation between the theme and the offerings for that night so I don’t know if it’s just tonight that they didn’t pair up the . But I’m sure someone trolling these forums will do so and tell me that I am wrong such that in 4 of the previous 5 nights as there is a correlation of the main title and the actual offerings…

Anyway, it’s just another one of those “only that dummy Harry guy cares about” topic…

enhance

enhance

Edited by harryfat1

I believe this was the fish cake

enhance

Typically the soups are blurry in pictures as the auto focus can’t really lock in on the water surface as it bounces back at a different angle. For tonight soup, I was trying to line up the reflection of the chandelier from above to be inside the soup such that it looks like I am having chandelier as a topping for the soup.

enhance

Yeah, these dumb little things we do to amuse ourselves…

As we have little ones in our group, there is a kids’ menu on the table nightly before we even walk to our table. Finally remember to take a picture of one tonight.

enhance