(Slightly less so) Cheapo dad's trip report on Independence of the Seas

When you come back from an excursion and get back onto the ship, DO NOT just walk into the nearest elevator on deck 1 as everybody and their cousin is piling into it. You will be packed like sardines and most likely be stuck with people sweating and reeking of suntan lotion. Ewww, not good.

Instead, walk up 1 flight of stairs and go across to the other side of the ship and take those elevators. Those elevators should be relatively empty as they would only be used by people already on the ship, not people coming back from excursions. e…

Here is my tip: Always take the stairs (if you are physically able) and you won't gain a pound from all the over indulging on food and drinks. Our kids sometime complain, but they know taking the stairs is good for them. At least there is no complaining about overcrowded elevators. 😀

We used to buy souvenirs at each island for everyone on our first few cruises. After about 10 cruises to almost all the same islands, I now just get something for the grandsons (usually tee shirts for the toddlers and pool towels for the older boys) and an ornament/magnet for me and our grown daughters, and only if it's a new port! I've really cut down -- that doesn't mean I don't spend an inordinate amount of time in all the shops... :o

Same as our visit from last time, the gate to the end of the road is closed. I assume that gate has not been opened for many years? Anyone ever been on the other side?

Can't get there from here...

enhance

Anybody ever been here?

enhance

I've been out there a few times, and most recently on our 2016 Oasis cruise. We went first thing in the morning and they even had a security guard out there.

When the waves rush into the rock formation it makes a sound like a dragon is breathing, which I'm guessing is where the zip line got it's "Dragon's Breath Flight Line" name from.

I'm a big fan of your reviews! I've got some catching up to do!

Hi, Brandon,

Guess that dog must be a fixture at the beach looking for whatever leftover food people toss at the beach.

So who recommended this beach to you guys? Did you research this on your own or heard from word of mouth?

We went to the beach at 4 of the 5 ports. I would say this one was the prettiest of all the ones we saw. I could do without the crowd but then you know people tend to flock to the nicer beaches. Next time we go to Antigua, I would opt for a smaller beach like Turners or some lesser known places.

Our original plan was to go on a tour that included stingray city and valley church beach. However, we found it was cheaper to do stingray city through the ship and go to a beach on our own, and left us more time to visit the uncle in prison haha. On the way, the driver recommended Jolly Beach more as he said valley church was smaller and more crowded, so we took his word for it. I do agree about going to a smaller/quieter beach, since there are so many on that island.

Aren’t you supposed to be getting ready for your upcoming cruise in 9 days? What are you wasting your time hanging out with us instead of packing? What islands are you going to? Come back and show us how the other 1% lives in the Grand Suite (per your signature on the PC).

Technically the cruise will be 2/3 over when day 6 is in the books. But I think it’s more like 70%+ done as we took more pics on St. Maarten and San Juan, as well as having a whole day pre cruise. So the last 3 cruise days will be faster than the middle 3 days as I am not a big sea day fan. So I think we might be a tad lower at 1,500 as all days are not weighted equally.

Funny...DW and I were just talking about how we haven't spent one minute getting ready for our upcoming cruise. It's actually a little worse in that I have a business trip to Florida before our cruise, and we leave on Sunday (5 days). I need to pack both business wear and cruise wear. The last time I packed at the last minute for a cruise, the only long pants that I remembered to pack were part of my tux. I had to wear shorts in the MDR (the horror!) :eek:. It's only a 5 day cruise with 2 ports (Cozumel and Costa Maya). We'll probably end up throwing a bunch of things in suitcases on Saturday and hope we don't forget anything. Very much anti-anal.

We are looking forward to experiencing the GS. We splurged for the GS because it's only 5 days and our daughters are not joining us (both away at College). You will reach the same point before you know it. Time flies as your kids grow up. I'd like to say that I will report back, but I can't commit to that at this point. I've enjoyed doing long reviews with lots of pictures in the past, but as you know better than most people, that takes a LOT of time. I haven't had time lately, for many reasons, and never found enough time to post the hundreds of pictures that I picked from our Med cruise last fall.

BTW...in case you are ever again lying in bed with your eyes closed contemplating the meaning of life, the answer is 42. (Google it)

We are cruising the east coast of Australia. Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef and back. Mostly people from US on roll call, some lucky ones doing b2b or even b2b2b.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

It makes sense to do a longer B2B cruise for Americans flying all the way down there. I would either do a combo land/cruise vacation or b2b, depending on the cost/itinerary.

Same for Europe. If we had to fly hours to get to Europe, I wouldn’t just do a basic 7 day cruise and then go home.

Are you sure MSC Seaside had that "new ship" smell? It's getting some pretty horrible reviews over on the MSC board...apparently there is a sewage smell that has permeated a lot of the ship.

It has been very entertaining to read all the awful reviews...I went over there to check it out thinking it would be an interesting ship to try but NOPE - sounds like MSC has a big (smelly) problem with their new build!

Yeah, I saw that the Seaside has very low ratings at CC last week. I hope they get their issues resolved somewhere the line as MSC is betting big time in outing new ships in the North America market. More competition is good in keeping the prices low.

We didn’t smell anything from the outside walking by.

As we typically don’t repeat cruise ships (we like to explore new ones), after awhile we will max out here at RCI and need to move other newer cruise ships to try things out so I do hope MSC has their act together for us to try as well as other new ships from Carnival/Celebrity and the list goes on.

I'm also hoping you were able to get the sand out of your eye- that is the WORST feeling. I actually travel now with eyewash and a little eyecup- that happened to me once and it was terrible.

Thanks for the thought on the sand. (Spoiler alert) - No, it didn’t come out that night…

Yeah, I need to start adding that to the packing list next time we do a beach related cruise. You don’t realize how often your eye blinks until it hurts every time you blink.

I agree with you, luv1cruise, and others who have been in on the shopping discussion. The houseful of cruise souvenirs is a testament. Until reading your trip reports, I didn't realize I had so many uncles in prison! :o But each got visited in due time, and I still have the stuff and the memories. The magnets are on the fridge all positioned like a map. (You know those little rubber state-shaped magnets?) The US is up on the freezer, and the Caribbean is arranged further south on the fridge. I've got my fleet of ship models. I still wear my favorite ship t-shirts. And don't even ask about the mug collection! :eek: I love souvenirs, and dare I say that I drop more on the sea pass in the logo shop than in the bars and specialty restaurants. If I ever wrote a trip report, people would be bored by day 3, "I ate, and then I stopped in the logo shop again to see if they had any new mugs that they'd been holding out on me." And I laughed, because like you, I could win spa time and it would be a waste. That's what's so great about cruising. Whether it's splurging on comfort, experiences, or stuff, everybody can do their own thing. Happy cruising to all!

I’ve always said a cruise vacation is the ultimate buffet. Thousands of people can be on the exact same sailing but doubtful any two families will have the same exact experience (as you would on a bus tour). There are people reading this from our sailing but I’m pretty sure they will tell you that they had a somewhat similar but yet different cruise experience than ours.

We don’t cruise just to shop so we won’t be going with the cruise ship’s “professional shopper person” to go into the jewelry stores to buy the high end jewelry. We shop as part of the tour or we see stores as we walk around town. As that’s part of the process, I document it in my trip report. But souvenir shopping will never be as sexy/fun as taking a picture of an alcoholic drink with a little umbrella on it. So people don’t talk about it as like we don’t talk about our relatives in prison.

Yeah, it’s good to know the family tree on what shady relatives we all have…;p

Harry,

I am still reading as well. I had a business trip last week and fell behind but now I am all caught up.

Speaking of shopping - we once had a group in the next cabin that spent evenings on the balcony planning their next port shopping. It reminded me of how I used to plan a Disney World Trip.

We were talking and they were surprised I did not bring an extra suitcase to fill up, I am not much of a vacation shopper - much prefer the beach

They seemed to have a great time on the cruise (and so did we)

I also enjoyed the rock pictures

This is the first review I've read of yours. I try to catch up every night and will be sad when it's over. I plan on reading all of your older ones when this one is done. This is by far the best review I've ever read on CC, the pictures are amazing and your style is unique and entertaining.

One question concerning the elevators when returning from port days: do you know if there are any ways to avoid the crowds on the Harmony?

Here is my tip: Always take the stairs (if you are physically able) and you won't gain a pound from all the over indulging on food and drinks. Our kids sometime complain, but they know taking the stairs is good for them. At least there is no complaining about overcrowded elevators. 😀

We are not an athletic of a family to walk all the way up to deck 11 or 12 from deck 2 where our cabins are. We set the limit of 3 decks at most for walking up and down on the stairs as we regularly walk up and down between 2 and 5.

I think if I had to walk from deck 2 to 11 to go to WJ for breakfast and lunch, I will either need oxygen mask by time I labor up to deck 8 or just go to MDR instead as that’s much closer on deck 3.

Hmmm, let’s see – we want to walk up to deck 3 or deck 11 to eat the same free food? Decisions, decisions…

Also for the ladies in formal dresses wearing high heels, most will not want to deal with the stairs. Especially on the mega ship like Oasis class ships where you have cabins on deck 14 and have to walk up and down to deck 3 of MDR for dinner on formal nights in heels or men’s formal shoes, that won’t be much fun.

We used to buy souvenirs at each island for everyone on our first few cruises. After about 10 cruises to almost all the same islands, I now just get something for the grandsons (usually tee shirts for the toddlers and pool towels for the older boys) and an ornament/magnet for me and our grown daughters, and only if it's a new port! I've really cut down -- that doesn't mean I don't spend an inordinate amount of time in all the shops... :o

Yes, I agree if you do the repeat visits, then souvenir shopping is less of priority. But we will always walk inside a store if there’s time just to see what’s in there and maybe buy something for people back home. That’s why we try to do either new ship or new ports, just to have something new to see/explore as we don’t cruise to relax so new ports/ships play a major part.

I've been out there a few times, and most recently on our 2016 Oasis cruise. We went first thing in the morning and they even had a security guard out there.

When the waves rush into the rock formation it makes a sound like a dragon is breathing, which I'm guessing is where the zip line got it's "Dragon's Breath Flight Line" name from.

I'm a big fan of your reviews! I've got some catching up to do!

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to have you as part of the “party”. Take your time reading as we are only on day 6 of 9.

Thanks for the info on the Dragon’s breath area. Now that really has me wondering on what are the criteria for them to open the gate? Originally we thought it was closed years ago after it became unsafe but if you were able to go in 2016 and we couldn’t in 2014 or 2017, what made your sailing special that they would open it?

I just re-read your post and you said you went there first thing in the morning. Now I wonder if the time of the day makes a difference as both times we went, it was in the late afternoon. Maybe the security dude only works up to lunch time?

Our original plan was to go on a tour that included stingray city and valley church beach. However, we found it was cheaper to do stingray city through the ship and go to a beach on our own, and left us more time to visit the uncle in prison haha. On the way, the driver recommended Jolly Beach more as he said valley church was smaller and more crowded, so we took his word for it. I do agree about going to a smaller/quieter beach, since there are so many on that island.

Thanks for the info. One advantage of the bigger beach is that you can spread out more if there is a big crowd.

Keeping in mind of the ballot stuffing issue at TA that Jim talked about last week, here is there list of top beaches in the area. But I’m sure some of these are personal preferences.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147242-Activities-c61-t52-Antigua_Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

Did the taxi driver wait for you guys to take you back to the ship? That’s always my fear on going to the beach in the afternoon on getting back to the ship on time. But at Antigua we had a later departure time so it helps (all aboard is 5:30 and in winter time, the sun sets earlier so I would imagine the beach would start to clear after 4 PM).

St. Kitts had an all aboard at 4:30 so that would be a more risky move to stay out later.

Funny...DW and I were just talking about how we haven't spent one minute getting ready for our upcoming cruise. It's actually a little worse in that I have a business trip to Florida before our cruise, and we leave on Sunday (5 days). I need to pack both business wear and cruise wear. The last time I packed at the last minute for a cruise, the only long pants that I remembered to pack were part of my tux. I had to wear shorts in the MDR (the horror!) :eek:. It's only a 5 day cruise with 2 ports (Cozumel and Costa Maya). We'll probably end up throwing a bunch of things in suitcases on Saturday and hope we don't forget anything. Very much anti-anal.

We are looking forward to experiencing the GS. We splurged for the GS because it's only 5 days and our daughters are not joining us (both away at College). You will reach the same point before you know it. Time flies as your kids grow up. I'd like to say that I will report back, but I can't commit to that at this point. I've enjoyed doing long reviews with lots of pictures in the past, but as you know better than most people, that takes a LOT of time. I haven't had time lately, for many reasons, and never found enough time to post the hundreds of pictures that I picked from our Med cruise last fall.

BTW...in case you are ever again lying in bed with your eyes closed contemplating the meaning of life, the answer is 42. (Google it)

Oh, you bad man in wearing shorts to MDR.

The fashion police here at CC would have a lynch mob after you for breaking the dress code. These people should stand in the front of each deck of MDR and point out to the head waiter what people walking in is breaking the dress code and should be removed from MDR and be forced to eat at the lowly WJ.

You plan to do anything special at the 2 ports or just relax at a beach somewhere?

If you use Shutterfly for picture uploads, it’s easier than Flickr as you don’t have to do any trimming so that will make your trip report go faster. Yeah, by time you return from the cruise, I will either be done with this trip report or at the very tail end of it. It is difficult to estimate that far out as we all have other real life commitments and not always easy to find time to do this little hobby of mine.

But whenever you get back, do drop us a bone here with some fancy dancy Grand Suite picture uploads. We all have suite envy here. I’m just slumming it down on deck 2 with dirty port holes so I like to know how the privileges 1% lives…

Harry,

I am still reading as well. I had a business trip last week and fell behind but now I am all caught up.

Speaking of shopping - we once had a group in the next cabin that spent evenings on the balcony planning their next port shopping. It reminded me of how I used to plan a Disney World Trip.

We were talking and they were surprised I did not bring an extra suitcase to fill up, I am not much of a vacation shopper - much prefer the beach

They seemed to have a great time on the cruise (and so did we)

I also enjoyed the rock pictures

Hi, Barbara,

Thanks for reading along.

With many airlines nowadays charging extra for the suitcases, it's not much incentive to bring extra luggage to just shop unless you drive to the ports. If one travels frequently, there is less urge to buy that much on every trip unless you have a big family to give these gifts to.

There will be few more rock pictures later this weekend.

This is the first review I've read of yours. I try to catch up every night and will be sad when it's over. I plan on reading all of your older ones when this one is done. This is by far the best review I've ever read on CC, the pictures are amazing and your style is unique and entertaining.

One question concerning the elevators when returning from port days: do you know if there are any ways to avoid the crowds on the Harmony?

Thanks for the compliment.

The pictures are better on this report as the cell phone technology is better but I was more funny in previous trip reports so the content might be better.

There's no magical way to avoid the crowd. All I was trying to say is go where the people are not so you can have more space in the elevators. The ship only docks on one side of the pier so try to use the elevator on the other side if you come back from the tours.

So as I lay there in bed semi drifting between awake and asleep, I felt the ship moving. Oh, we are sailing away. OK, forget it. Not resting anymore. I need to go to deck 12 to catch the sail away. Grabbed the phone and headed for elevator.

The eye drop made my eye hurt less but the sand is still there. That sucker is stuck as stuck could be.

Realized I had forgotten to take a picture of the sign by the elevator. So here it is.

enhance

First picture is time stamped at 6:23 as we have already pulled away from the pier. I just walked around and took some night time pictures. Ships always look pretty at night time when lit up.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I like this picture as it’s taken from outside the glass into the inside of the ship. You can see the glare reflection of you look at the right hand side. Unique angle as unless you can fly or be on a cable, you can’t get this perspective otherwise looking at WJ.

enhance

Moving over to the other side of the ship. Costa ship is still there

enhance

enhance

enhance

Photos can be fun if you use your imagination a bit. This one I imagine it is some sort of space saucer flying overhead to invade the pool deck. Similar to the beginning movie opening of Star Wars movie where you see the Star ship flying over your head.

enhance

enhance

This one just shows how far cell phones have come to be able to take a clear picture at night. No special setting needed. Just use the auto setting and any dummy dad can just click the button and have a picture. But the ability to take a picture at night and see a clear image way down there is amazing.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

There was one picture I took that is not the default auto setting. I had originally taken the first picture in auto but thought it was a tad too dark into auto setting and as I had time, I switched over to the pro options and played around with the settings to get slightly more light to it. As I am not good at this in moving between the different phone menus and using their slide gauges, it took awhile to get the right combo I wanted. If I was on a tour or with the family, there’s no way I can take this picture in pro setting unless I practice enough doing this at home to know the menu well and can do it on the fly.

Nah, that’s ok. The default auto setting is good enough for me. That’s just my personality. I rather have 100 adequate pictures of different spots instead of 5 really good ones that are framed and photo shopped for hours to make it just right. I’m a volume shooter. But I’m sure the photo enthusiasts will disagree with me.

I use the pictures to help me tell a story. For the real photographers, their picture is their story.

Auto setting (A tad too dark)

enhance

Pro setting by adding in more light

enhance

Sorry to read about your eye problem, I had a similar occurrence several years ago. Ever since then I never travel with Refresh Tears Lubricant Eye Drops and Refresh P.M. Lubricant Ointment, both of which can be purchased over the counter.

Hi Harry,

I love catching up on each new instalment every day - I will be sad and at a loss when your review ends.

I love each detail and feel that I was there too! And your pictures are amazing

Keep the review going

Sarah