Southampton to New York and return

Johnno3c

Hello and a Happy New Year to you all.

Apart from Cunard, are there any other cruise lines that sail out from Southampton to NY and allow for a stay and then sail back to Southampton?

Thanks for any help that is provided.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Johnno3c

what was a good idea last year many of our passenger,s were doing the repositioning cruises back to Miami and Fort lauderdale with R.C.I Independance and Navigator and getting Amtrack back to New York having a few days site seeing before embarking on Q M 2 back to Southampton, but i thought the best one was N.C.L Jade to greenland boston arriving New york picking up Q M back to the UK ,then you can try the service on both ships that last one was very popular and the Jade is back over this year, a little bit confusing but i hope it helps.

I noticed that you can book 9 July 2019 Dover to New York on Sea Princess getting to New York 21 July 2019. Cunard have Queen Elizabeth leaving New York 24 July 2019 and Queen Mary 2 leaving New York 28 July 2018.

If you wish to sail both ways the first or last leg of a world cruise are going to be useful at least one way or look at the main cruise lines repositioning after a season in a region. Cunard home is fairly likely to come up as an option to return. World cruise sectors are sold initially as a large unit but then smaller sectors are offered later on. I once booked return air tickets with Westjet a year before booking the cruise sector knowing the prices of air escalate with time whilst last leg world cruise sector prices can plummet. To do this economically I booked refundable air in case the outbound cruise sector price held or was sold out.

Studying the correct cruise search engine will reveal where ships are going. Royal Caribbean transatlantics are generally cheap and it is helpful if you can tolerate starting or finishing in Europe with a short flight or Channel Tunnel solution. Similarly the US can be sorted out with an Amtrak train journey.

Regards John

Hello and a Happy New Year to you all.

Apart from Cunard, are there any other cruise lines that sail out from Southampton to NY and allow for a stay and then sail back to Southampton?

Thanks for any help that is provided.

The answer is no there are no lines which offer this service. As said above you could use a repositioning Cruise one way but you would still have to use Cunard the other.

Thanks for the information folks I appreciate all the possible suggestions.

I like the sound of the Sea Princess from Dover but I am slightly concerned that Cunard may be too stuffy and not as relaxed as say Princess/P&O which we find just right tbh.

I will continue with my investigations and keep you all posted. [emoji106]

Thanks for the information folks I appreciate all the possible suggestions.

I like the sound of the Sea Princess from Dover but I am slightly concerned that Cunard may be too stuffy and not as relaxed as say Princess/P&O which we find just right tbh.

I will continue with my investigations and keep you all posted. [emoji106]

I have been on a few Cunard Transatlantics, the last being Queen Elizabeth final leg of world cruise NY to Southampton and on this one it went direct no intermediate ports but it went slower than a typical QM2 crossing adding two days as I recall. This was because the cruise fitted in with half-term holiday. otherwise we would have embarked in Ft Lauderdale. Basically Cunard is not much different from Princess but you need to simply wear a jacket every night for dining and the swimming pools are kept hot even in winter. They have a Golden Lion pub on each ship for pub lunch and trivia quizzes and on the world cruise people seemed more diverse. So a bit more British in atmosphere. Generally I have found passengers are very friendly and more interesting as they are from different countries. The captains seem quite amusing with the children's disco parties I have even seen a girl from the ENTs crew getting a selfie sitting on his knee at the party. The parade of chefs got well supported in Britannia MDR with people spinning napkins, banging tables and cheering. I think this was day 98 for some of them and parade 6.

Regards John

I noticed that you can book 9 July 2019 Dover to New York on Sea Princess getting to New York 21 July 2019. Cunard have Queen Elizabeth leaving New York 24 July 2019 and Queen Mary 2 leaving New York 28 July 2018.

If you wish to sail both ways the first or last leg of a world cruise are going to be useful at least one way or look at the main cruise lines repositioning after a season in a region. Cunard home is fairly likely to come up as an option to return. World cruise sectors are sold initially as a large unit but then smaller sectors are offered later on. I once booked return air tickets with Westjet a year before booking the cruise sector knowing the prices of air escalate with time whilst last leg world cruise sector prices can plummet. To do this economically I booked refundable air in case the outbound cruise sector price held or was sold out.

Studying the correct cruise search engine will reveal where ships are going. Royal Caribbean transatlantics are generally cheap and it is helpful if you can tolerate starting or finishing in Europe with a short flight or Channel Tunnel solution. Similarly the US can be sorted out with an Amtrak train journey.

Regards John

Hi John....what you have said sounds a good way to do it but the Sea Princess that leaves on the 9th July is a 46 night cruise. Are you allowed to disembark at New York and will the fare be adjusted accordingly?

Hi John....what you have said sounds a good way to do it but the Sea Princess that leaves on the 9th July is a 46 night cruise. Are you allowed to disembark at New York and will the fare be adjusted accordingly?

The Sea Princess is doing a World Cruise from Australia around 106 days complete voyage. Typically Princess will sell this or divide the voyage into a number of shorter "World Cruise Sectors" of around 40 days or so. Later on they sell shorter sectors then shorter still sectors. It is a bit like selling carpet off the roll eventually customers buy the remnants of what's left. The sector I outlined is a 12 day sector or segment as some lines call them. This is the sector you would need to book. This is advertised on one online agents site. Transatlantic sectors on Princess cruises starting and finishing in Australia are often left with a low price. I think this is due to customers starting and finishing points with the customer base being mainly American and Australian neither group if they do a significant sized sector seem to do the transatlantic part. Princess have tried to make the Transatlantic part more interesting in recent years. A few years back it was just a few ports between UK and USA which meant that I have seen the final fare nearer departure plummet to £999 per person. As I said previously one year I banked on this and booked return Westjet airfare, premium economy at a good price about a year ahead, on a refundable basis, and waited for the cruise price to drop nearer sailing. £999 per person is not a bargain if you book Transatlantic airfare last minute, so competition from other cruisers is not strong near sail date. Westjet charge $75 penalty per person on cancellations where you have booked refundable. They charge $0 if you accept the refund in Westjet Dollars which I do not know how long remain valid. This was my fallback plan on sailing out flying home.

Regards John

Thank you for the detailed explanation....as you say to get the best and perhaps available sector it would maybe have to be a later booking. The return would have to be on Cunard as my husband cannot fly any more....due to health reasons....but it is certainly worth considering.

The Sea Princess is doing a World Cruise from Australia around 106 days complete voyage. Typically Princess will sell this or divide the voyage into a number of shorter "World Cruise Sectors" of around 40 days or so. Later on they sell shorter sectors then shorter still sectors. It is a bit like selling carpet off the roll eventually customers buy the remnants of what's left. The sector I outlined is a 12 day sector or segment as some lines call them. This is the sector you would need to book. This is advertised on one online agents site. Transatlantic sectors on Princess cruises starting and finishing in Australia are often left with a low price. I think this is due to customers starting and finishing points with the customer base being mainly American and Australian neither group if they do a significant sized sector seem to do the transatlantic part. Princess have tried to make the Transatlantic part more interesting in recent years. A few years back it was just a few ports between UK and USA which meant that I have seen the final fare nearer departure plummet to £999 per person. As I said previously one year I banked on this and booked return Westjet airfare, premium economy at a good price about a year ahead, on a refundable basis, and waited for the cruise price to drop nearer sailing. £999 per person is not a bargain if you book Transatlantic airfare last minute, so competition from other cruisers is not strong near sail date. Westjet charge $75 penalty per person on cancellations where you have booked refundable. They charge $0 if you accept the refund in Westjet Dollars which I do not know how long remain valid. This was my fallback plan on sailing out flying home.

Regards John

I have just looked on the Princess site for the cruise you mention and all accessible staterooms are taken. This cruise would have been ideal but I will check Cunard to see if they have availability. This is unfortunately the problem I have in securing an accessible stateroom, they sell so quickly but surprised they have all gone this far out..

Onwards and upwards hey?