New to cruising with Diabetes

sashas_mom

I thought of another question. We will be getting off th ship each day. In the past we have eaten at roadside places but I admit they don’t offer the healthiest food' date=' the food I eat now. Can we take food off the ship? I can bring a fabric lunch bag with me. I know the hotels would be fine, but they are usually expensive. Found any good places you’d recommend? We will be renting a car every day.[/quote']

Many ports you can only take factory sealed food off the ship.

Thank you all' date=' this was very helpful. I look forward to our cruise and feel a lot better about this aspect.[/quote']

I've been type 2 for over 15 years and that would be 15 cruises. My numbers are the best when I cruise...lol. I order from the regular menu,

There are plenty of options and only you really know what foods spike your blood sugar.

Breakfast..It does take willpower not to indulge on the great pastries in the breakfast buffet. Love the mushroom and spinach omelettes..also lox and half bagel..they also have peanut butter in the am and whole wheat bread (ask if you don't see it out).

Lunch is salad time for me..with plenty of fresh veggies and nuts. There is a carving table for grilled meat most of the time, too

Dinner..I ask for sauces to be put on side. I personally hate the sugar free desserts. So I order whatever I like on the menu..have a spoonful or two and push it away. BTW..I don't want you to think I have great willpower..I don't...When we use to eat at traditional dining, most waiters realized to take away the dessert as soon as I pushed it away. Now we eat freestyle..so I am on my own....

Drinking..I rarely anymore and I miss this the most. I did hear that they might start carrying the brand Skinnygirl on board..low cal alcohol..if they do I will really enjoy a vodka with anything diet...lol

Do a lot of walking. (stairs if you can)..drinking water..ship gym treadmill (ekk)..swimming in the lotus pool if on your ship and of course dance..zumba in the day and "disco" at night.

Bring from home whatever "emergency bar" you usually carry with you..esp for excursions. Also take peanut butter sold in little packs on the cruise. Ask for fruit in your room incase you "drop" at night.

If you are using any needles..your room steward will get you the proper disposable container. Frio has a great cooling wallet if you have to carry insulin and it is TSA approved.

Having diabetes is not the worst condition to get...okay..truthfully it sucks major!!! I'm in year 16 and it still pisses me off when on vacation..but I am still able to go on vacation and that is great.

Enjoy you cruise!!

I thought of another question. We will be getting off th ship each day. In the past we have eaten at roadside places but I admit they don’t offer the healthiest food' date=' the food I eat now. Can we take food off the ship? I can bring a fabric lunch bag with me. I know the hotels would be fine, but they are usually expensive. Found any good places you’d recommend? We will be renting a car every day.[/quote']

No, you can't take food off (maybe some packaged energy bars or something like that) But you shouldn't have any trouble finding suitable options in most restaurants. They aren't advance prepping hundreds of meals and have more flexibility with swapping out a few elements of your order in a timely fashion than the ship's galley. For specific recommendations, people would need to know your destinations -- maybe posting for suggestions in the CC section for the region you're traveling to would be helpful

I've been type 2 for over 15 years and that would be 15 cruises. My numbers are the best when I cruise...lol. I order from the regular menu,

There are plenty of options and only you really know what foods spike your blood sugar.

Breakfast..It does take willpower not to indulge on the great pastries in the breakfast buffet. Love the mushroom and spinach omelettes..also lox and half bagel..they also have peanut butter in the am and whole wheat bread (ask if you don't see it out).

Lunch is salad time for me..with plenty of fresh veggies and nuts. There is a carving table for grilled meat most of the time, too

Dinner..I ask for sauces to be put on side. I personally hate the sugar free desserts. So I order whatever I like on the menu..have a spoonful or two and push it away. BTW..I don't want you to think I have great willpower..I don't...When we use to eat at traditional dining, most waiters realized to take away the dessert as soon as I pushed it away. Now we eat freestyle..so I am on my own....

Drinking..I rarely anymore and I miss this the most. I did hear that they might start carrying the brand Skinnygirl on board..low cal alcohol..if they do I will really enjoy a vodka with anything diet...lol

Do a lot of walking. (stairs if you can)..drinking water..ship gym treadmill (ekk)..swimming in the lotus pool if on your ship and of course dance..zumba in the day and "disco" at night.

Bring from home whatever "emergency bar" you usually carry with you..esp for excursions. Also take peanut butter sold in little packs on the cruise. Ask for fruit in your room incase you "drop" at night.

If you are using any needles..your room steward will get you the proper disposable container. Frio has a great cooling wallet if you have to carry insulin and it is TSA approved.

Having diabetes is not the worst condition to get...okay..truthfully it sucks major!!! I'm in year 16 and it still pisses me off when on vacation..but I am still able to go on vacation and that is great.

Enjoy you cruise!!

I won't touch the sugar free stuff either -- even before my diagnosis. And I've read a few studies that indicate the artificial sweeteners are actually bad for diabetics. Like you, I prefer a few bites of real food over a whole dessert with who knows what chemical additive.

I haven't given up cocktails yet -- just modified selection and intake. But I'm also pre-diabetic, so I don't spike anywhere near other people I know with diabetes. I know so many people with BG levels quadruple or more than mine-- can't figure out how they tolerate it.

Agree wholeheartedly on the walking -- it's so easy on a cruise ship to get in some extra exercise to help manage your levels. We take the stairs, walk the promenade and lots of dancing ;-)

Thank you again��. Guess I should have mentioned we are going to Hawaii land of the pulled pork in sauce I can’t have....and most places to stop at are little joints that don’t have salads or turkey sandwiches. Guess we’ll have to scope out the hotels where I’m sure to find something. It is disappointing I can’t bring my own off the ship to be safe. Yes, this sucks.....big time.....but I’m very grateful I’m getting back to cruising, which we love, we are Elite, and I was too afraid to do before. It’s our 40th and we just had to celebrate on a cruise. You all have helped tremendously.

Thank you again��. Guess I should have mentioned we are going to Hawaii land of the pulled pork in sauce I can’t have....and most places to stop at are little joints that don’t have salads or turkey sandwiches. Guess we’ll have to scope out the hotels where I’m sure to find something. It is disappointing I can’t bring my own off the ship to be safe. Yes' date=' this sucks.....big time.....but I’m very grateful I’m getting back to cruising, which we love, we are Elite, and I was too afraid to do before. It’s our 40th and we just had to celebrate on a cruise. You all have helped tremendously.[/quote']

Hi Sasha's mom...Wow..going to Hawaii..a fantastic cruise. I did it post diabetic and don 't remember having any problem with food. Good thing is that you are in USA and the hotels will have menus for low carbs and gluten free and even lactose free. Plus it will be easy to ask waiters for sauce on the side. Okay..pulled pork..can't put sauce on the side. Once you get this first cruise over, you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it really is...just have to get use to the I can't have that ###. Interestly, my upcoming March cruise will be my first with insulin..at least I am going to be in the same time zone..east coast to caribbean. I will tell you that I have traveled a lot in the past 15 years and twice to Europe where I was a little concerned about going off schedule with meds because of time differences. It does work out..This coming spring I am going on a river cruise to Europe and am ready to figure out a long trans Atlantic flight..time difference and limited menu..adding the insulin use. It will work out. PS..If "sweet n low" is your favorite sugar substitute (coffee/tea)..carry some with you.. it seems to be the one a lot of places don't carry. (plenty on ship)

Hi Sasha's mom...Wow..going to Hawaii..a fantastic cruise. I did it post diabetic and don 't remember having any problem with food. Good thing is that you are in USA and the hotels will have menus for low carbs and gluten free and even lactose free. Plus it will be easy to ask waiters for sauce on the side. Okay..pulled pork..can't put sauce on the side. Once you get this first cruise over, you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it really is...just have to get use to the I can't have that ###. Interestly, my upcoming March cruise will be my first with insulin..at least I am going to be in the same time zone..east coast to caribbean. I will tell you that I have traveled a lot in the past 15 years and twice to Europe where I was a little concerned about going off schedule with meds because of time differences. It does work out..This coming spring I am going on a river cruise to Europe and am ready to figure out a long trans Atlantic flight..time difference and limited menu..adding the insulin use. It will work out. PS..If "sweet n low" is your favorite sugar substitute (coffee/tea)..carry some with you.. it seems to be the one a lot of places don't carry. (plenty on ship)

Hi Brandee. Thanks for this. I just thought of the time changes and wondered how that would go. Did you just stay on your regular schedule according to what time it was where you were? If I remember correctly, we set our clocks by an hour a little at a time when crossing. I’ve done sooo well since I was diagnosed, because I am very careful. This will really throw me, not having complete control, but your encouraging words and the others are very helpful. We’ve done three Transatlantic and other cruises to Europe and many others, all before this. It will be a challenge, but this whole thing has been a challenge and while it panicked me at first, I have now learned how to deal with it and am more relaxed. I only started going to restaurants a couple of weeks ago and it’s been 1 1/2 years since my diagnosis. You are right, once I get the hang of it when cruising, I will be okay with traveling again.

Hi Brandee. Thanks for this. I just thought of the time changes and wondered how that would go. Did you just stay on your regular schedule according to what time it was where you were? If I remember correctly' date=' we set our clocks by an hour a little at a time when crossing. I’ve done sooo well since I was diagnosed, because I am very careful. This will really throw me, not having complete control, but your encouraging words and the others are very helpful. We’ve done three Transatlantic and other cruises to Europe and many others, all before this. It will be a challenge, but this whole thing has been a challenge and while it panicked me at first, I have now learned how to deal with it and am more relaxed. I only started going to restaurants a couple of weeks ago and it’s been 1 1/2 years since my diagnosis. You are right, once I get the hang of it when cruising, I will be okay with traveling again.[/quote']

Hi sasha's mom

Regarding medication (oral and trulicity..once weekly and insulin nightly) . I take my meds before breakfast and dinner and at bed..so the time changes according to where I am. California to Hawaii is an hour per day change on the cruise, so it really should not make a difference. I also did that when travelling to Europe..the 14 day Med cruise and the 14 day Baltic cruise with pre and post days in Europe. I will admit those were changelling and I was a little "concerned" about the nine hour flight to and from. But it works out. If you are in control of your diabetes and it sounds like you are...you should not have any problems shifting your med schedule. Of course, now that I have to use daily insulin (once at bedtime) I will have to just adjust the amount if my numbers are too low or too high the first day of travel.

My doctor tells me to be a little high on travel days to give me the comfort of not dropping too low while in flight. Talk to your doctor..he/she knows your history.

Actually on days with excursions I tend to eat a bigger breakfast..but always carry sugar pills with me. (I have never had to use them).

Regarding medication..luckily diabetes medication has come a long way over the years. Most of the pills and insulin is slow released so it should make it easier to travel and adjust dosages without over or under medicating. My dear aunt..who I obviously take after, cruised constantly..the original Love Boater..she took insulin bottles, and syringes with her. She did that 30/40 years ago.

Edited by BRANDEE

I do have Type 2. It’s been a year and yes' date=' I watch my Carbs, etc. and have done very well with my numbers. However, we eat at home so I’m able to completely control what is in a recipe and what I eat. This will be a new challenge for me, so I thought your tips would be helpful and appreciated. Has anyone found sugar free desserts they enjoy occasionally? Any good chicken dishes or fish dishes you especially liked or disliked? I just envision myself eating what they call chicken breast, and I call hockey puck, every night.:([/quote']

I have to be gluten free. And I am what some MD's would call "Pre-Diabetic" so I must be careful. IMHO there are more choices if you do not have to worry about gluten (like me)

We just came back from a cruise on the Royal and I think there were lots of good choices! Yes, there are always lots of carbs to choose (breads, rolls, pastries, pasta, rice, etc.) It is sooo tempting, but folks like us must forgo that..and move on "down the line" ;)

But even in the Horizon court, there were plenty of salad fixings, fish, etc. Sometimes fish can be "blah" but more often, the fish will have some wonderful light sauce on it.

If you get lucky, you will have a choice wonderful selection of fresh seafood!

As for desserts, I noticed that there were more offerings of sugar free desserts in the buffet and definitely great choices in the dining room.

You really will do fine. IMHO, the larger newer ships have the better food and better choices, but even on the old ships you will never go hungry!

This time, in the International Cafe (Royal), they had marinated mushrooms, and marinated shrimp daily! And they had the sugar free desserts and gf desserts, too!

As a pre-diabetic, I am learning, too, what triggers higher BS and that "blah" feeling....

As for the desserts, they usually have sugar free mousse, and even ice cream.

You will have to come back and tell us what you thought of the diabetic appropriate food selections!

I do have Type 2. It’s been a year and yes' date=' I watch my Carbs, etc. and have done very well with my numbers. However, we eat at home so I’m able to completely control what is in a recipe and what I eat. This will be a new challenge for me, so I thought your tips would be helpful and appreciated. Has anyone found sugar free desserts they enjoy occasionally? Any good chicken dishes or fish dishes you especially liked or disliked? I just envision myself eating what they call chicken breast, and I call hockey puck, every night.:([/quote']

My mom was recently diagnosed with T2 and we were on the Emerald in November. She had no problem with the sugar-free desserts offered. She really enjoyed the sugar-free mango cheesecake she had one night. They will take really good care of you.

I have a no-salt diet due to being at risk for congestive heart failure. If you are concerned speaking with the maître d or head waiter the day you board. I was brought the menu every night for the next day and preordered. They will accommodate your needs. The head waiter I dealt with daily had a long list of passengers he saw nightly with special food needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Meats usually come with some kind of sauce or gravy in it...,.avoid this. I always ask for them not to be put on my meats. If you prefer, you can chose to have them on the side thus controlling the amount you eat. There is a high fat content to sauces/gravies and sugar in some. No sugar added desserts are limited. I didn’t search all the responses but exercise is important. Being a retired nurse, I could go on and on but don’t want to repeat what others have said.

Edited by garagesalegran
misspelled word

I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes about 8 years ago - didn't really come as too big a surprise, considering that my Great Grandfather, Grand Father and Mother all had Diabetes - The Doctor told me that it was just a matter of time for me. 6' 3" and around 190. So not a "fatty" by definition. Ran (usually 3 miles a day) and "tried" to eat right. Did me no good. The old bug caught up with me.

My Sugar is well controlled, however. Usually in the 105 -110 range, I take Metformin and 7 units of insulin per day.

Here's my question: My DW and I have traveled fairly extensively since we retired but never had a problem carting my pen and my meter. Hell, 9 times out of 10 the TSA never asked about it. Will the Ruby ask any questions about storing my pen in the fridge?