Walk to Emerald beach

cole'snana

Thanks so much for the great information - still have not heard back via email but good to know they are up and running - this is now on my 'short list' for upcoming port stop in St. Thomas...

Did you dock at Crown Bay or Havensight? Wondering on transportation cost?

If you follow the resort on Facebook and message there, they respond within 24 hours and always updates.

It was only a few minutes from Crown bay as we were on harmony of the seas and maybe only a few minutes more if docking at havensight. Cab fare was $4 per person to Emerald beach and so easy to get a taxi- very organized .

We decided to shop around downtown Main Street on the way home and was only an extra $2 more. There's a taxi stand outside the resort as well

The water was beautiful, the bar and restaurant were full of action, resort staff super helpful and available and chairs and umbrellas were $7pp

With any beach at st Thomas now post hurricane, take your time walking in to the water if no water shoes as branches and rocks are a bit of a norm. But then should be plentiful sandy once in:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you follow the resort on Facebook and message there, they respond within 24 hours and always updates.

It was only a few minutes from Crown bay as we were on harmony of the seas and maybe only a few minutes more if docking at havensight. Cab fare was $4 per person to Emerald beach and so easy to get a taxi- very organized .

We decided to shop around downtown Main Street on the way home and was only an extra $2 more. There's a taxi stand outside the resort as well

The water was beautiful, the bar and restaurant were full of action, resort staff super helpful and available and chairs and umbrellas were $7pp

With any beach at st Thomas now post hurricane, take your time walking in to the water if no water shoes as branches and rocks are a bit of a norm. But then should be plentiful sandy once in:)

Thanks again - will be docking at Havensight and will be packing the water shoes!!!

Also looking up the FB page! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise to St Thomas. Thanks to all who posted, it was very helpful. We docked at Crown Bay and walked to Emerald Beach following the directions given in this post. There were sidewalks all the way and it took us (walking leisurely) about 30 minutes. The water was lovely (beach shoes are needed getting in the water), there was good snorkeling to the far left next to the hill. There were 2 beach bars open and umbrellas and chairs were available (don't know cost as we just put our towels down and went in the water.) Walked back via the industrial road and it only cut off 5 minutes. We'll walk there again when we visit St Thomas!

We had our own equipment. Sorry, didn't notice if there was any place to rent gear. The fish were small, but very colorful and plentiful. It was shallow water snorkeling.We enjoyed snorkeling there and would go there again.

There was a reef, farther out,at the point, but we did not swim out that far.

Thanks, colesnana. I think you're the first poster who said there was good snorkeling there. I see fish at all the beaches in VI, and am somewhat puzzled when people say there's no snorkeling at a particular beach. I myself prefer the little fish because they don't bite. I don't like that tickling feeling.

We had our own equipment. Sorry, didn't notice if there was any place to rent gear. The fish were small, but very colorful and plentiful. It was shallow water snorkeling.We enjoyed snorkeling there and would go there again.

There was a reef, farther out,at the point, but we did not swim out that far.[/quote

If it isn't too much trouble can you tell where the reef was? TIA

Hello everyone,

we visited this beach on the 23rd and it was beautiful! we also snorkeled while there and also placed our towels on the sand. i did ask how much the chairs were and someone mentioned $7 per chair. we were there to swim and snorkel so no chair was needed. we saw lots of fish to the left by the hill. my husband also saw a bright green Eel. (glad i missed it).

we took a cab there a back to crown bay and it was $4 pp/ew.

Hello everyone,

we visited this beach on the 23rd and it was beautiful! we also snorkeled while there and also placed our towels on the sand. i did ask how much the chairs were and someone mentioned $7 per chair. we were there to swim and snorkel so no chair was needed. we saw lots of fish to the left by the hill. my husband also saw a bright green Eel. (glad i missed it).

we took a cab there a back to crown bay and it was $4 pp/ew.

thanks so much for the great feedback! Will be there next month so hoping to visit and will definitely be packing the water shoes and snorkel gear!!!;p

One more question - did u see any 'shade'? I know they have umbrellas for rent but I was told first come/first serve - so I think they have a limited supply? Wondering if there is any shade if umbrellas are not available?

thanks so much for the great feedback! Will be there next month so hoping to visit and will definitely be packing the water shoes and snorkel gear!!!;p

One more question - did u see any 'shade'? I know they have umbrellas for rent but I was told first come/first serve - so I think they have a limited supply? Wondering if there is any shade if umbrellas are not available?

You would have to take a chair closest to the resort where some of the plans are, but as the sun continuously moves, it's not permanent shade.... we got to the beach around 9am and the even an hour later there were available umbrellas. It's not a packed beach like Magen's Bay

Also for additional shade, the wonderful beach restaurant is open air and covered and the lobby has fans/AC.

We placed our towel, and sat, right under a palm tree. It was the perfect amount of shade. We also arrived at 9am, it was empty, left at noon and there were still LOTS of chairs and umbrellas available.

No water toys available here. I did see a lady bring a floaty with her. (Great idea).

Great information!! Thank you for sharing.

Since this is a resort do you have to buy a Day Pass from the resort? Or can you just use the beach in front of the property?

It's a public beach and only rental is if you wish chairs/umbrellas. No entrance fee and no day pass needed. You walk through the grounds of the Emerald beach resort to get to the beach. Again fabulous open air restaurant and beach onsite:)

There are usually taxis waiting at the resort, but if not the front desk can call you one. It will probably be open air, but no guarantee. Many taxis use vans.

Public transportation that is govt subsidized does not go directly to any beaches.

Just back from Emerald Beach on Feb. 10th 2018. Sarfari taxi was $7 p/p ea way from Havensight Pier and I had the driver return at a set time. The beach is very nice with great views, restaurant up and running with some visable roof damage. Beach chair was $7 but if you want a umbrella with chair it was $10 each.

As you enter the water there is a long line of rocks about 3 feet wide but once you pass this area there was a sandy bottom.

I FB messaged last Friday Emerald Beach about renting chairs/umbrellas and this was their reply-

Chairs and umbrellas are $7 for rent. There will be a beach attendant walking around asking if you are a guest at the hotel.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the opinions of both boca7 and Ms411. There are two routes but I agree with boca7 that the jitney/taxi is the best way for visitors to go. It is not expensive transportation and you will enjoy your day.

If you decide to walk, definitely take the Nisky Center route. The "shortcut" route is a steep hilly, winding, narrow, heavily traveled industrial road with no sidewalks. Even before the hurricanes it is/was an unsafe route to walk.

My reservation about walking the Nisky route is the heat! This route has a gradual upgrade but it is in the sun the whole way. Unless one is acclimated to exercise in a tropical climate this might not be a walk you would enjoy.

And finally FYI - I have no involvement with the taxi business, financial or otherwise. I only want visitors to have a happy healthy day and return to St Thomas for extended vacations. :)

Thank you for that because it's good to have a plan in case you can't catch the taxi back. We've had this happen half the time. We ride there with a couple who wants to return hours before us so no one comes back for us. So I've learned the hard way.

On Feb 16 we walked from Crown Bay into town, up to Blackbeard’s castle, thru the shops in town, did a tour that ended at Emerald Bay resort. We had a great lunch that was very reasonable. We had

no problem walking the route I posted on the map. I agree that the “truck route” is a bad idea. No shoulder, sharp curves and steeper.

0_DDDBB6_E_4_C01_49_B5_B6_F1_F736_EF6_F7333.jpg

4_EB3076_D_0385_4_FED_BA6_F_4_FF976_A2_FC65.jpg

980_D554_E_94_F6_4711_83_DD_8_A3_E68_E706_C3.jpg

racerxspeedy - Glad you had such a nice visit. The walk you chose is quite interesting and I'm sure you saw a lot. If one is physically fit walking is a wonderful way to see the St Thomas. I posted the information about reaching Emerald Beach via taxi because I see lots of visitors for whom walking this distance would be too great especially in the heat of the day. I wanted guests to know they can reach and enjoy this beach without incurring huge taxi fares.