Carnival Pride Review- December 10th, 2017

amrgirl95

Loving this review. Your detail is much appreciated.

Thanks!

The shrimp tacos looked amazing! I'm glad to see they have water when getting back from ports. It was a nice touch on our NCL Western Caribbean and hoped they would do something similar. Did they have chilled washcloths to refresh with too?

The tacos were really good! No, they just had the water, but no washcloths, unfortunately.

Once I finish something else up, I'll get to posting day six!

Too bad about the washcloths. At least Bahamas in February/March shouldn't be as warm as W.C. was in May.

That's true, hopefully the weather works in your favor!

Great pictures and review!

I just got off the Pride on Sunday. Had a fantastic cruise!

Thanks!

Day Six

So on day six of our trip, we were in Freeport, Bahamas. I didn’t think I had ever been before, and my mom said she had probably been a while back. Honestly, nobody in my family is exactly sure where we went on cruises before like 2009. I know we went to Bermuda on our one NCL cruise, but nobody remembers the other islands we went to. I doubt my parents could figure out where they went on cruises before I was born. Anyway, we had to be back on board that day at 1:00. I believe we got up around 8:00 that day, and made it to breakfast a bit after 9:00. I had my usual plate of pastries again.

My mom put her beads on our new buddy

enhance

While at breakfast, we could hear a crew drill going on. I believe that it started while we were in our stateroom as well, and we could hear the announcements there as well. I guess it was because of this that the emergency lights were lit up along the floor. They were also fueling the ship on the port side. After eating, we went back to the cabin to grab our stuff, then got off the ship. We were on land at 10:33 A.M.

Fueling the ship

enhance

The little emergency lights were on, and they normally weren't

enhance

And we were off the ship

enhance

Our plan for the day was to do some shopping right off the ship, and maybe get a drink, since I heard a Señor Frogs was close by. My mom asked some of the shop keepers, and heard there was another craft market nearby, so we would be going to that one as well. In one of the shops, I saw a piggy bank (shaped like a pig) made out of coconut. I thought it was pretty cute, so I went on a quest to get the cheapest one I could find. There was one store that had it for $9 I think, but I wanted to see if I could find it cheaper in the other shopping area. In most of the stores, we made our purchases the first time we went in, but for some stores we came back once we had finished. I made a mental note of what we needed to get later.

A map of the shops

enhance

These flamingos were scattered around the shopping area

enhance

The ship peeking out over the shops

enhance

enhance

There was a store selling those embroidered linens, and my mom bought some there. The shopkeeper said that most of the linens came from I think St Thomas and China. There was also a liquor store. When we went on Shiprocked last year, my dad asked if we could get him Havana Club rum. We couldn’t find it on the ship, nor on Grand Turk. On the first night of our trip this year, we were in the shops on the ship, and I messaged him and asked if he wanted anything in particular. He asked for the same type of rum, and, yet again, they still didn’t have it onboard. We went into this liquor shop in Freeport, and actually found it! There were two types, and the employee working explained the difference to us. They were two different prices as well. I took a picture to try to send to my dad to see which he wanted, and we said we would come back.

We went to the other section of stands, which was sort of across the road. My mom and I got a few little things from there. I kept seeing the coconut piggy bank, but the lowest price was $10, which was more than the other shop. My mom and I probably could have gotten somebody to drop the price, but we’re both really bad at bargaining. After we finished there, we went over to the open area near the bars. There were a bunch of food trucks that looked good, but we were in a rush and not that hungry. There was also a band playing that was pretty good. I think they did a cover of a Jimmy Buffett song. There were also more stands sort of next to Señor Frogs, but we didn’t have time to make it that far. We were planning on going to Señor Frogs, but the party atmosphere didn’t appeal to us. We also just wanted a quick drink, so we went to Fat Tuesdays and were served immediately. We both got mixed drinks. I gotthe smaller size of a Sex on a Beach, and my mom got a larger size of something. I didn’t take a picture of the menu. We also got cups of water, and my mom exchanged a couple of US dollar bills for Bahamian bills. She always tries to get coins from different countries while there, and I think these were the first bills she had gotten from the Bahamas.

The open area. The food trucks were to the right of this picture, just out of sight

enhance

The back of the pavilion where the band was

enhance

While at the bar, I tried really hard to connect to the Wi-Fi, but it just wasn’t working. There was Wi-Fi at the shops right off the ship, but I forgot to try it until we were walking away. I finished drinking faster than my mom, since my drink was smaller, and went back to the shops to get the last few items I needed. I got the coconut piggy bank, and was charged tax in the store, so it came to like $0.30 less than $10. Oh well. I tried connecting to the Wi-Fi, and was able to send my dad the picture over WhatsApp. He didn’t reply immediately, so I tried calling him over the app. It kept ringing, and my mom had found me and wanted to show me a shop closer to the bars, so I lost the signal and the call ended. We went back and ended up getting the cheaper bottle of rum, and that was what my dad wanted! I noticed a few crew members using the Wi-Fi in the port while we were there.

After we finished all of our purchases, we headed back to the ship, around 12:40. Somebody from the ship (entertainment staff?) had brought out a boom box and was playing music. The guard checking everybody’s IDs was dancing along as well. I’m pretty sure my mom ended up dancing with him for a second, but I had continued to walk and my back was to them. I brought a water bottle off the ship with me each day, and I had forgotten to finish this one, so I chugged it while we waited a couple of minutes to get on the ship. I didn’t see a trash can so I shoved the empty bottle back in my bag, assuming that security would tell me to toss it if they cared. Nobody said anything. Once we got all our purchases through security, we had to go check the alcohol. We had never done this before, but it was fairly easily. We gave the bottle, still in the bag, over to the woman working the table. We gave our room number and possibly our folio number, and she gave us a piece of paper explaining we would get the bottle delivered in our stateroom after 7:00 PM on the last night of the cruise, which was the next day. The paper told us to keep it handy, as well as the receipt for the alcohol, for going through customs.

We went back up to our cabin, and we had a new friend waiting for us. We dropped off our stuff and went up to deck 10. I grabbed my other lens and took pictures of the island while my mom relaxed. There’s a dry dock in Freeport, and you could see Holland America’s Nieuw Amsterdam in it, which I thought was pretty cool. You could also see the yellow and blue “MailBoat.” There was one just like it in Nassau, so I’m not sure if it’s the same exact one. I saw the Baleària ship, which ferries people back and forth from Fort Lauderdale to Freeport, I believe. Around 1:15, I went to go check for pier runners. There was still a long line to get on. I saw a van drop people off outside of the shops, and they all slowly made their way to the line. The ship blew the horn twice while people were in line.

enhance

You can see Senor Frogs and the shops sort of next to and behind it

enhance

I know my last post had a lot of text in it, but my next few are probably going to end up just being pictures, so I apologize in advance for that

enhance

You can see the layout of the shops here

enhance

The line to get on at 1:08

enhance

enhance

enhance

The HAL ship in the distance

enhance

A helicopter overhead. When you zoom in, you can see that it's a US Coast Guard helicopter, so I wonder what it was doing in the Bahamas

enhance

That ferry I mentioned earlier

enhance

enhance

MailBoat

enhance

The other section of shops that we went to. I wonder who all those cars in the background belong to. People who take the ferries places?

enhance

This was a building nearby. I thought the artwork was pretty

enhance

Some more ships

enhance

We started moving at 1:32. I noticed that the water in Freeport was very blue-green, and I thought it was the prettiest that I saw all trip. We watched our progression away from the island. I saw the pilot get off of our ship and onto his boat again. This time, two of them left our ship. They honked their horn and waved.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I have no idea why these pictures are more grey than the rest. I don't think it was cloudy out

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After we watched enough of sail away, my mom wanted to try out the water slide. My brother was fascinated with the green slide and would have tried it if he was with us, but my mom was not getting on that. She went on the yellow one twice and liked it. I took pictures of her going down. There wasn’t a line at all when we went. I think the green slide was closed at this time. Once my mom dried off, I took a couple more pictures and we went to get lunch.

We went to Blue Iguana Cantina (there’s a concert venue somewhat near me with the word ‘Cantina’ in its name, and I keep wanting to call Blue Iguana Cantina something else, so if I type something really wrong, that’s why. This is very off topic but it was announced a couple of hours ago that Drake Bell is coming to that venue in March so 8-year-old me is super excited). My mom got one pork taco, and I got two shrimp tacos and one pork. I think this was the time that the ice machine on the pool deck wasn’t giving us ice, so my mom went into the buffet and brought back a cup of ice that we shared. So in the picture of my tacos, the darkest sauce was the Salsa Roja, if I recall correctly, with pork. That was my favorite that I tried. The taco in the foreground on the left was shrimp with the Arbol Chili sauce, which was okay. The taco with the shrimp on the right had the Habanero sauce. I mentioned that I like spicy food, and I’m always fine with anything spicy that I eat. This sauce finally did me in. I guess I put too much on, and, after a few bites, I had to give up. I proceeded to drink a cup and a half of water, and then I went inside to the buffet for dessert. I came back with some of those sugar-coated jelly cubes that they have on Carnival (I can’t remember the name), some Napoleon pastry thing that was pretty good, and a spring roll from Chopsticks. The spring roll was good, and of course I got chili vinegar to dip it in. That’s supposed to be spicy, but this one wasn’t nearly as spicy as the chili vinegar I get from a Thai place near us.

My tacos

enhance

My mom's pork taco

enhance

Outside a window near where we were sitting

enhance

While in the buffet, I noticed an employee pushing around a cart with cookies and drinks, including water and lemonade, I guess so people didn’t have to get up to get that stuff. During breakfast, the same cart went around, but with breakfast pastries and other drinks like coffee and hot tea.

After lunch, based on my pictures, it looks like I walked around a bit. I think I tried to sit on deck 10 and read some, but it was windy and I was too cold. Some people next to me were asleep, so maybe only I was cold. At some point, we went to the “Name That Rock Tune” trivia. Neither of us had been to a trivia session on any cruise ship before, and it was pretty entertaining, even though we didn’t do too well.

By the Red Frog Pub

enhance

Once the ship was sailing, I noticed that the seas were a lot smoother compared to our two earlier sea days. The TV channel that showed the ships position also said we were going faster, about 22 to 24 knots per hour, versus 12 to 16 knots per hour that I noticed a few days prior to this.

Once trivia was over, we then went to win more ducks from the arcade! There, we met another family playing the game. They had two little kids, probably both under the age of 5 (I can’t tell age). The kids loved the game. They had won upwards of 18 ducks on this trip, and more on another cruise. So actual kids do like this game! Like I had mentioned before, my mom really wanted her own unicorn duck. I slid my card and on the first try, I was able to get her the unicorn duck. We kept playing, and probably won maybe 6 more ducks that day. We ended up with another unicorn duck, which we decided was for one of my friends. I also got a black horse duck. I have a picture of all of our ducks that I’ll post during day 7.

Once we shoved our loot in my bag, we went out on the promenade deck to watch the sunset. We also spent time watching the wake. After the sunset, we got ready for dinner. It was our second formal night that night.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We waited six minutes for our table that night. For dinner, my mom had the Chesapeake crab cake (beautifully prepared) and possibly a shrimp cocktail. For her entrée, she had the “Dual of Filet Mignon and Short Rib.” I think she liked it well enough. I’m pretty sure she said the filet was good. I had the shrimp cocktail and the four season salad for my appetizers. I had some vinaigrette on the side as the dressing on the salad, but it was really heavy and I didn’t like the taste. I also thought the lettuce tasted weird, but I ate the other vegetables on the salad. I had the grilled jumbo shrimp for my entrée. Every cruise, I hit a point where I don’t seem to want to eat much food that’s very flavorful (so basically I’m craving plain carbs, i.e. bread). I hit that point tonight. I ate some of the shrimp, but didn’t want much of it. I probably ate a couple of rolls. For dessert, I had some chocolate thing, maybe Amaretto Cake. I really regret not photographing all the menus. I don’t remember the cake, but I assume it was good. My mom had the grand mariner soufflé, and I’m pretty sure she said that the consistency was off. That could have been on another cruise though, so I’m not positive if she liked this one.

These silver shells were on some of the tables on the formal nights. I immediately recognized them as something my mom would love, and I was surprised that none of them ended up coming home with us

enhance

My salad

enhance

After dinner, my mom went to the show, which was “80s Pop To The Max”. I went to the comedy show. It was good, but it was standing room only. I do wish that Carnival had a bigger venue for the comedy shows. This one lasted 25 minutes. I went back to the room and met up with my mom, then we went to bed.

So I’m finally done with day six! I just have the last sea day and then the disembarkation day left. I’ll try to get everything done by the end of this upcoming weekend. Thanks for reading!

Your pictures are getting me so ready for our cruise! Enjoying them all, but especially the sunsets.

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Freeport. I haven't seen much about it besides "stay on the ship" or "it's just a warehouse area." We probably won't have time to explore the shops with our excursion, but it does look like there would be plenty to do for a few hours just browsing the shops and entertainment. I would agree that it is more industrial than most ports, but it doesn't look as bad as other posters made it out to be.

Your pictures are getting me so ready for our cruise! Enjoying them all, but especially the sunsets.

Thank you for the comprehensive review of Freeport. I haven't seen much about it besides "stay on the ship" or "it's just a warehouse area." We probably won't have time to explore the shops with our excursion, but it does look like there would be plenty to do for a few hours just browsing the shops and entertainment. I would agree that it is more industrial than most ports, but it doesn't look as bad as other posters made it out to be.

Thank you! Yeah, I haven't noticed many reviews of Freeport where the reviewer does much. We spent a couple of hours in port, and we rushed, so you can definitely spend more time just in that area right off the ship. My mom said that next time we're there, we'll have to look at doing an excursion, so we can get beyond the shops and bars right off the ship. I hope you enjoy your trip!

So I'm back with day seven! This day is going to have a lot more words than pictures, so I apologize about that.

Day Seven

So on our last day, we didn’t really have any plans. We wanted to relax, eat, win more ducks, and pack up to go home. There was also “Q& Awesome with Saffie” at 3:00 in the theater, and the final CLUE reveal at the same time and place. The main show that evening was the lip sync battle, but it was around the time we normally went to dinner. We planned on going to one last comedy show at 9:15. We also had the chocolate buffet and one last tea party.

We got up at 9:00, and went to breakfast a bit after 10:00. We stuck with the buffet again, even though we had nowhere to be, because we both liked the food there and the MDR brunch was probably too much food for me to eat. After eating, we went back to the room. I was going to shower, but of ourse I was dehydrated, and kept getting lightheaded when I stood up. Normally it isn’t that bad, but I felt like I couldn’t shower for whatever reason. I had noticed that the coffee shop on deck 2 had Powerade for sale, so we planned on heading there to get some.

We went and finished up our duck winning in the arcade. They had put more ducks in the machine sometime since we were there on the previous day. We then stopped by the coffee shop. I got a Powerade for something like $2.25 or $2.95. It was less than $3. My mom also got a cute chocolate covered strawberry. We went back to our room and found our last towel friend. Once we dropped off our ducks, we went to sit in the Sunset Gardens for a bit. We tried reading, but there were some people nearby that were a bit too loud for my mom.

The carrot cake you could buy at the coffee shop

enhance

My mom's chocolate covered strawberry

enhance

Our last towel animal

enhance

All of our ducks in a row

enhance

Once we finished, we went up to deck 9 for the chocolate buffet! This was really the only time we saw the buffet crowded all trip. I got in line while my mom scouted for a table. When I was first in line, a couple of people in front of me grabbed two plates, instead of one. I did that, and I think it helped keeping everything separated, so that’s something to keep in mind. I got some fruit, some fondue, a few little things, and a couple of slices of cake. The “little things” were found in one section in little bowls. They consisted of those sugared jelly cubes (the sign says they’re “jujubs”), chocolate covered orange peel (not as good as our last Carnival cruise. It wasn’t candied right this time), flavored marshmallows, and what was basically lumps of sugar. There was no chocolate sushi that I saw, which I had last trip and really liked. I think I got chocolate cheesecake then maybe chocolate lemon cake. I sat down and started to eat (after messaging a picture of my food to my dad), while my mom got her food. When we were wrapping up, the towel animal character came into the buffet and took pictures with people.

The fruit in the chocolate buffet. Those little orange things up top by the watermelon are called kumquats I think. They were pretty good

enhance

Some chocolate cakes that were available

enhance

Some of what I ate

enhance

The towel animal character in the background

enhance

My mom and I then split up once we finished eating. I think she may have gone on a pool deck to relax, and she later told me that it was a bit too chilly out to do much of that. I found a spot to sit and read. I was in some of the seats by the atrium on deck 2, off to the side. There was a super cute winter scene set up off to the side, across from the restrooms. I took some pictures of that, and went up to deck 9 to grab another taco.

The winter scene display

enhance

enhance

enhance

After that, I went to the theater for the CLUE reveal and the Q & A with Saffie. Even though I just went to the initial CLUE activity, and none of the subsequent CLUE hints, I still had an idea of who it was, and I was completely wrong. I sat up on the balcony of the theater, and only a few other people were up there. The Q & A was rather interesting. My mom didn’t go, but she later told me that she wished she had joined me for it. Now I’m going to include some possibly interesting but probably boring facts that I learned at the Q & A. I apologize in advance for all of the words that I am about to post. Feel free to skip the next (really long) paragraph.

The crew has the same Wi-Fi packages as the passengers, but theirs is just slower and a lower bandwith, but it’s cheaper. The food that crew members eat is on a 21 day rotation, but breakfast is the same. They’ll have special food nights, like sushi, crepes, ice cream, and tacos. The captain has a large cabin, but Saffie said that hers is also large, since her office is in there. The cabins get better as the crew member’s rank increases. If there’s an emergency on the ship, the life boats take everybody to land if it’s nearby. If land isn’t close, the life boats go further away from the ship and get picked up by another ship. Crew members don’t get days off, but they get hours off when they are in port. They only get sick days if they are contagious or they can’t stand up. They do work on holidays. I believe that Saffie said that her contract had her working for six months, then she had six weeks off. I can’t remember if that was a typical contract for everybody, or just the cruise director or entertainment staff. They try to keep management on the same ship for two years. Saffie did say that she will be back on Carnival Pride for her next contract. The dancers and singers are on board for six months as a group. This cast was new, and they hadn’t worked together before. They train for four to six weeks in the studio in Miami, then there is a two week transition period with both the old and new casts on a ship. Crew members can get mail. You have to send it to Carnival’s head office in Miami, and you need to know what ship they’re on, their full name, and their crew ID number. Saffie said that she worked on the ships for three years before becoming a cruise director. She previously worked in hotels and had hospitality experience. The amount of time it takes to get hired can depend on different things. It will generally take a few months from somebody’s interview. You have to wait on a medical exam, visas, and a spot on a ship. There are random drug tests on the ship. Once on the ship, a crew member generally stays at the same job until promoted.

Just as I was about to leave the theater, I noticed my mom standing in the entrance to the theater on the third floor. I had messaged her where I was, but she didn’t see the message, and still found me. We went over to the MDR for tea time. On the first sea day, they pushed a cart around with a bunch of different pastries. On this sea day and the second one, they just came around with a few different pastries on plates. They were still good. It was a nice snack, especially since I don’t think my mom had lunch that day.

After that, we finished up our shopping in the shops on board, then went back to the room. I assumed we did some packing. My mom went to do her own thing, and I finally took that shower, since I didn’t feel that lightheaded anymore (I always have slightly low blood pressure and I get dehydrated really easily). I then wanted to walk down all of the stairwells to take pictures of all the artwork. Right when I left the room, I realized the sun was setting. I ran up to deck 10 to take pictures. I thought that this night’s sunset was the prettiest all trip, but it was way too cold to stay out on the open deck for more than a couple of minutes. I noticed a few ships in the distance. After freezing, I went to work on my photo walk. That actually didn’t take that long, about half an hour. I then went back to the room and got ready for dinner.

A ship in the distance

enhance

Another one

enhance

enhance

enhance

One of the vase-like things displayed in a lot of the stairwells

enhance

A hallway on deck 1

enhance

We got our pager, and sat on the couch right by the stairs leading down to the atrium. We ended up going into the photo gallery on the port side of the ship, to look for the two pictures that my mom was in. We found one, but couldn’t find her picture with the towel animal. It had been about 15 minutes at that point, and we were getting worried because our pager hadn’t gone off yet, and our wait hadn’t been this long on the trip before. We went back to the hostess, who said that we should have been fine in the photo gallery. We sat at the bar nearby for a few more minutes, and then the hostess came up to us. We were apparently paged right after we went up to her to see if it was working, and it ended up not working. Even though they only tell you to not go to deck 9, the casino, and your stateroom, the photo gallery ended up messing with the pager, maybe due to the metal detectors/sensors nearby. Those would randomly go off, even if people weren’t walking through them.

Anyway, we finally got our table after waiting close to half an hour. My mom ate a lot that day. She had the beef carpaccio (she doesn’t like raw meat, and was convinced that it wasn’t raw, but I’m pretty sure this dish is raw?) and the mango cream soup for appetizers. She had the ricotta ravioli (cute, striped raviolis) and the cinnamon pumpkin cheese pie for her entrees. The pumpkin thing was filled with “root vegetables,” according to the waiter, and had some fried things on the side. I think it was some sort of potato? Whatever they were, they were spicy, I think. I had one last shrimp cocktail and the flatbread, which had “bbq chicken, monterey jack cheese,” on it. The chicken tasted good, but my jaw hurt at this point in the trip (I still don’t know why it did that. I was really falling apart on this trip), and the bread was really hard, so I just ate the chicken. Of course the rolls we had also hurt my jaw, but I continued to eat them. For my entrée, I had the jerk pork loin off of the port of call menu. It tasted good, but I didn’t feel like eating much at this point. I had the carrot cake for dessert. The cake was pretty dry, but the icing was good. We said goodbye to our wait staff, tipped everybody, then headed off to the comedy show.

My mom's pumpkin thing, with the fried things on the side

enhance

My carrot cake

enhance

On both this night and the previous one, I got to the lounge right before previous show ended, about half an hour early. This was really the only way you could guarantee a seat for the next show, since they filled up fast.

After the comedy show, we went back to our room to finish packing. I’ve been using my dad’s oyster shell suitcase. I’m not sure if that’s what it’s called, but it’s the hard shell one. Because of this, I couldn’t shove any extra stuff inside, and I had to make sure it closed properly. Somehow, I ended up bringing lots more home with me than I started with. Maybe because my leather jacket ended up in my mom’s suitcase on the way there (I hid things in her suitcase that she didn’t find until she unpacked. She had tons of extra space). I’m also very bad with packing to go home. When I’m packing for a trip, I pack super neatly, rolling up all of my clothes. This time, I took it a step further and put a hair tie over all of my individual rolls, so they would stay rolled up. I also had a lot of extra hair ties when I got onboard, just in case. When I pack to go home, I just throw all of my dirty laundry in the suitcase, press it down, and put everything on top. To get everything off the ship, I ended up having to put some extra stuff in a tote bag I had brought. It wasn’t too bad, since I needed to put our bottle of rum in it. I wrapped the rum in the blanket I had brought with me, and put my other souvenirs on top of that, and that solved my packing problem. At 10:27, our bags were out in the hallway, ready to beat us off the ship.

We had to be up early the next day, and tried to go to bed early, but I think this was the night we stayed up late reading. Eventually, we were off to sleep for our last night on vacation.

So that was our last sea day! I just have our disembarkation day left, then I’ll do a conclusion post. Thanks for reading!

As usual, your food pics are making me hungry :) Are kumquats ready to eat then, peel and all? Never had them but I'm up to trying new things.

I find the stairs often have cool artwork and it looks like the Pride will not be an exception.

Sorry to hear about your dehydration. I think it's very easy to happen on a ship - especially with how much extra sodium is in the food.

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us!

As usual, your food pics are making me hungry :) Are kumquats ready to eat then, peel and all? Never had them but I'm up to trying new things.

I find the stairs often have cool artwork and it looks like the Pride will not be an exception.

Sorry to hear about your dehydration. I think it's very easy to happen on a ship - especially with how much extra sodium is in the food.

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us!

Yep, you just eat the whole thing. I put the whole kumquat in my mouth at once, so I didn't see what it looked like inside. They sort of popped in my mouth like a grape, if that makes sense. I liked them.

The artwork on ships is all so nice. Thank you! I found the water to taste weird on the ship this trip, so I also probably wasn't drinking enough too.

The is for The review. Was on this cruise with you and actually did the menorah lighting in the atrium most nights

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What did you think of the menorah lighting?