Shadowmeboy's Star studded Christmas Mexican Riviera review!

shadowmeboy

The train looks like a lot of fun and has terrific views. Is that why you chose not to fly and instead take a 33 hour train ride? I'm also really curious as to what the sleeper car and roomettes look like. Is there a bathroom in there or is it communal?

The train looks like a lot of fun and has terrific views. Is that why you chose not to fly and instead take a 33 hour train ride? I'm also really curious as to what the sleeper car and roomettes look like. Is there a bathroom in there or is it communal?

The plane would have been quicker, but it was more expensive post-Christmas/pre New Years. The train was a little less even with the roomette. We have always wanted to do the Coast Starlight either down to LA or back from it. We had the time to do it.

Roomettes had two seats facing each other. The seats become the lower bed. The upper bunk is latched up, and comes down at night. I couldn't get a good picture of the beds down. There are family bedrooms and other bedrooms that have a private restroom. The roomettes use the communal bathrooms. One upstairs and 3 downstairs. There is also a changing room and show downstairs. This is on the Superliner equipment that Amtrak uses on its routes from Chicago westward and in the West. In the east, some of the tunnels aren't as high, so they have to use different equipment.

The plane would have been quicker, but it was more expensive post-Christmas/pre New Years. The train was a little less even with the roomette. We have always wanted to do the Coast Starlight either down to LA or back from it. We had the time to do it.

Roomettes had two seats facing each other. The seats become the lower bed. The upper bunk is latched up, and comes down at night. I couldn't get a good picture of the beds down. There are family bedrooms and other bedrooms that have a private restroom. The roomettes use the communal bathrooms. One upstairs and 3 downstairs. There is also a changing room and show downstairs. This is on the Superliner equipment that Amtrak uses on its routes from Chicago westward and in the West. In the east, some of the tunnels aren't as high, so they have to use different equipment.

Thank you for your answer. I've always wanted to try a train trip.

Thank you for your answer. I've always wanted to try a train trip.

We had previously gone from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder. That was a 46 hour train trip that turned into 50. We also traveled in a roomette on that trip. They work for two people.

Thank you very much for your review of your train ride. Am enjoying seeing the photos and comments. Have gone only to Oakland on Amtrak and now you gave me the idea to do all the way to Vancouver and return by ship to California. During your duration, how many meals came with the roomatte? Where there passengers that slept on their chairs overnight all the way from LA Union Station to Seattle? Did you book the train tickets yourself?

Paiagirl

Edited by paiagirl
forgot to put my name

Thank you very much for your review of your train ride. Am enjoying seeing the photos and comments. Have gone only to Oakland on Amtrak and now you gave me the idea to do all the way to Vancouver and return by ship to California. During your duration, how many meals came with the roomatte? Where there passengers that slept on their chairs overnight all the way from LA Union Station to Seattle? Did you book the train tickets yourself?

Paiagirl

The Coast Starlight will take you as far as Seattle. You will then have to take the Amtrak Cascades into Vancouver or other transportation. From LA, you will get Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

We saw a few people getting on the train in LA that we saw again in Seattle. We did not venture into Coach, so I am not sure exactly how many went all the way in coach. I wouldn’t.

Yes, bought our own tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_0801-L.jpg

We finally arrived in Salem, Oregon's Capitol.

DSCF0578-L.jpg

They are growing sod for people's lawns.

IMG_0803-L.jpg

DSCF0579-L.jpg

Christmas trees are a major agricultural commodity in Oregon, especially in Clackamas County. These trees are a little past prime Christmas tree size!

IMG_0804-L.jpg

DSCF0580-L.jpg

IMG_0807-L.jpg

I know this area well because I graduated High School in the area. This area was home for almost 10 years.

DSCF0587-L.jpg

The Pudding River

DSCF0588-L.jpg

DSCF0589-L.jpg

Susan had crossed over the hall to another roomette that was going to be empty and our car attendant said we could take pictures from.

IMG_0808-L.jpg

Pudding River from her side.

DSCF0590-L.jpg

Running alongside Oregon 99E towards Barlow and Canby.

DSCF0591-L.jpg

Crossing Barlow Road (M)

IMG_0809-L.jpg

The City of Barlow and Barlow Road (S)

IMG_0810-L.jpg

IMG_0811-L.jpg

DSCF0592-L.jpg

Climbing the grade up into Canby, OR (M) - you are looking at Canby Ford.

DSCF0593-L.jpg

Susan and I sat on opposite sides of the train for a little bit to get pictures of Canby and Oregon City area. I graduated from Canby, so we go back from time to time. It's also really cool to see it from the train.

IMG_0815-L.jpg

(S)

DSCF0597-L.jpg

Coming into the main part of town now. (M)

IMG_0816-L.jpg

That used to be a really good restaurant, so sad to see it run down. (S)

DSCF0598-L.jpg

The train tracks and 99E divide Canby in half. I am looking south on my side.(M)

IMG_0817-L.jpg

Start of downtown Canby (S)

DSCF0599-L.jpg

(M)