Antarctica ? South America ?

helenandfrank

World cruisers (and anyone else who may wish to join in) - I am curious if Mr Hagen spoke about expansion plans / new ships / new itineraries when he spoke to you at the gala gathering prior to LA departure. If he did - any mention of Antarctica and South America being added as new destinations in 2020 or beyond ? Thanks for any information.

World cruisers (and anyone else who may wish to join in) - I am curious if Mr Hagen spoke about expansion plans / new ships / new itineraries when he spoke to you at the gala gathering prior to LA departure. If he did - any mention of Antarctica and South America being added as new destinations in 2020 or beyond ? Thanks for any information.

No mention of any excursions to Antarctica- Could work in their 2019 WC but don’t think so

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a new South America itinerary on their website that amyr pointed out to me. It looks really interesting.....but they are not including Antarctica....which I think Viking Ships would be better suited for than some of the others going there.....

Found this cruise ... which is not yet on sale in Australia apparently (found it in the Viking Canadian website)

South America & the Chilean Fjords

Buenos Aires to Santiago

18 Days

Sail dates Dec 2019 and Jan / Feb 2020. Assume this is what others have referred to. Looks good.

Edited by helenandfrank

Found this cruise ... which is not yet on sale in Australia apparently (found it in the Viking Canadian website)

Buenos Aires to Santiago

18 Days

Sail dates Dec 2019 and Jan / Feb 2020. Assume this is what others have referred to. Looks good.

That is the one! Wish Antarctica would be added! But an awesome expanded itinerary to SA!

Buenos Aires to Santiago

18 Days

It's not on sale in the UK either. I saw it on the US website. It always annoys me that we don't have equal access to the same cruises. By the time new cruises appear on the UK website, the best value cabins are already showing as booked. :(

SaveSave

We are two time Viking customers. This looks tempting but we put down a deposit on a Norwegian SA cruise for 2018-2019. Really tempting though.

Anyone know what ship this might be on, and how to look up the amenities for that ship?

We are two time Viking customers. This looks tempting but we put down a deposit on a Norwegian SA cruise for 2018-2019. Really tempting though.

Anyone know what ship this might be on, and how to look up the amenities for that ship?

The amenities will be the same for all the ships, they're virtually identical, so any reviews you read here will likely apply to the new ship Viking Jupiter.

Zitsky, I did the exact same itinerary as the Viking on Princess several years ago. It's a wonderful trip, but it is most definitely a 'cold weather' cruise, and I don't know anything about the Norwegian ships, but take a good look at the deck plans. That Princess ship had four outdoor pools and A LOT of open deck space, all of it unusable. It was really built for warm waters. That made the inside spaces really crowded on sea days since the folks that usually congregate outside on decks and at pools were competing for inside space all day, which was often tables in the buffet, etc., and it was impossible to find a place to sit anywhere.

The Viking ships have tremendous indoor space and it will make a huge difference on this itinerary, IMO. They put the lid on the main pool, and no matter how cold it is outside you can still sit in there and swim. You have all the little living rooms on Deck 1, the pool and Wintergarden, the two story Explorers Lounge upstairs, just tons of space to enjoy a sea day inside.

Edited by amyr

Very, very unlikely to see any Viking or most other major cruise operator sail to the Antarctic due to fuel restrictions implemented following the sinking of the MS Explorer off the Antarctic Peninsula in 2007. Ships are now banned from burning or carrying heavy fuel oil and must instead use marine gas oil, which is cleaner but considerably more expensive. Story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/8654371/Fuel-regulations-send-Antarctic-cruise-costs-up.html