Shore Excursion Ignorance

Susa

Just returned from 10-day X to Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, Aruba.

The shore excursion desk was not able to give thorough info regarding which tours were easily accessed by wheelchairs.

We had such a hard time getting mom on and off tour busses due to no lifts.

One tour in Aruba said it would be possible so we booked it. Mom didn't feel good so we cancelled her tockets day before and were glad we did - no way would she have been able to get on and off that boat (Sailaway and Snorkle - she was to just sail with us)

I thought the Special Needs Dept would be involved but they never returned my messages before the cruise.

Which cruise line?

We have learned from long experience that you must asked very pointed questions not once but multiple times. The idiots who are at the excursions desk think that "accessible" means limited walking. I never ask about a wheelchair accessible tour. I always ask "does this tour provide a wheelchair lift equipped bus or van?". If I ask about "wheelchair accessible" first, then when told it is, then ask about the lift, I often get the answer that it is accessible (the destinations) and the the transportation "only requires one or two steps up". I then usually ask them what they think "cannot walk or stand at all" means on the passenger profile. We call and talk to the excursion desk of the cruise line via phone prior to departure, then also go and talk to that staff at the excursion desk on the first day of the cruise. Better to find out that it won't be possible several days ahead of time than on the day of the tour.

This is why we nearly always book our own tours, or just plan to hire a car or cab.

My main complaint with cruise lines and their ratings of accessibilty for shore excursions is that they don't have a clue. Able bodied staff persons are the ones who catagorize excursions and they never seem to get it right. What's easy for an able bodied can be difficult, if not impossible, for a disabled person. I once did a shore excursion that said "easy walking over even surfaces", and then once on the trip I discovered it was a lot of walking on cobblestones and a lot of stairs with no railings.

Your best bet is to book private tours. I gave up on group tours a few years ago, and have never regretted it for one moment.

Some of the questions I use include - are there stairs, if so how many? I went on a tour that was listed as easy with few stairs. When we got there one place to see the Casa (house) you had to go down 80 steps, which means you have to go up 80 steps to return. I stayed up top and took pics this was in Porta V (Mexico).

Now I am luckier then most I use a scooter on ship but can walk a little on land with canes, but 80 stairs is just too much. I love snorkling but when I gave a review once I stated that the step into the boat was 18-24 inches as a warning for those who might want to try it. There are some private companies that will assist you into and out of the boat but you must talk on the phone with them first. Private tours with taxies are about the only way those that are CONFINED will be abled to enjoy this part of their vaction. Ship's tours are no good for those that require almost 100% wheelchair use. Most of their tours unless they show the wheelchair symbol are not for those in wheelchairs. In St Thomas there is an accessible tour company.

I have not yet found a shore excursion desk that could provide information about accessible tours. Generally if you can get on a bus, they suggest that you go on the bus city or country overview tours that have little walking. Once, on the Carnival Spirit, they actually had tried to document a little accessibility information, but it was not very helpful.

Ironically, the excursion desks can be wrong in either direction. For example, both Celebrity and Carnival told me that the areial tram in Colon Panama was not accessible. When my husband convinced me to go wthout him, I was surprised to find out that it was about 90% accessible if you could get on a bus (he could at the time.) First we went to a hotel (accessible), then to a native animal area which was accessible except for the small aquarium and then to the tram. The entrance to the tram was ramped so I asked our guide if they could carry a wheelchair in a tram. He told me that they have 2 cars built for wheelchair passengers and was upset to find out that the excursion desks did not know it was accessible. Even the tower at the top of the hill was ramped, and therefore accessible if you have the strength to push a chair up it.

I have found the best thing to do is not to rely on excursion desks. Research places of interest and accessibility yourself prior to the cruise and then use private vendors or hire taxis for the day.

DEL, your story really hacks me off. We were in Colon while on the Summit this past winter and I wanted to do the tram ride. When I inquired at the desk, they assured me that the trip was not at all accessible. Boy, am I mad---I could have done the tour !!!! I don't use a wheelchair, but they told me there were many, many stairs, with no handrailings and I cannot do stairs. What a pile of poop !!!

unfortunately del's story is pretty much the norm -- I've heard it sooooo often. The people at the shore excursion desk know very little (beyond the brochures) about the shore excursions, and absolutely nothing about access. Actaully most of those folks have never even been on most of the excursions. So that is the first questions you should ask if you inquire about anyting at the shore excursion desk "Have you taken this excursion yourself?"

If the answer is no, I wouldn't out any faith ina nay information they gave me -- access or otherwise.

Really, fidning your own shore excursions is the only way. And yes, the cruise liens do define "accessible" as being able to walk a few steps up the bus staris and have your chair stowed below.

Candy

just return rcl enchantment 12/19/05. I check 3 x's with rcl accessibility desk per their internet site. they even sent me a list of wheelchair access excusions. WHAT A MISTAKE!! We book Xunantunich and Marimba Lunch per their suggestion of being the only ruin a wheelchair could go on. When we arrived there was no lift to the bus and my mom panicked. Thank goodness I had 3 men who could help me lift her up the stairs of the bus. Don't use CRUISE SOLUTIONS Tours, Belize. They didn't offer any help. It came down to if we wanted to go...you better get on this bus and there was 9 of us. It was a terribly stressful day. I could have never made it with her by myself. I thought I had covered all the bases. Book a private company and TALK to them. The site itself can be rolled on (if it is not rainy season), skip the lunch....it was AWFULL! I felt bad for those others on the bus, for I know we slowed the whole tour down. When you think you have done all your homework.....do it again!

Handicapped rooms on rcl enchantment are WONDERFUL!! Toilet seat a little low and lift doesn't fit the new rooms. Bars are not on both sides of toilet...only on LEFT.

Grits is right on.

I did a shore excursion independently and asked alot of questions before hand since my mom is disabled. They told me the tour would be fine.........there was only a slight incline at the start of the tour. Once we got there we found the walk way was large river rock. Impossible for her to get around on. My mom had to pay $75 to just sit and wait.

I know the ship excursions desk doesnt know anything but alot of time the independent tour operators dont know either. So, be careful booking.

Linda

here's the deal.. most of the shore excursion staff have never actually been on a shore excursion.

so the very first question you should ask is "have you taken this tour?". If they say no, then ask to speak to somebody else. (who has taken this tour)

The shore excursion staff on vessels don't know a lot about the tours. They are just trained to take bookings.

So they don't know anything about access. Or really even the tours (outside of the brochures)

Candy

Archived