Questions about Alaska cruise Glacier Bay

lovevacadays

We loved the Promenade deck. Following suggestions on these boards, we went all the way forward (you go up a short flight of stairs) to a covered deck (important if it happens to be raining) that wasn't very crowded, where we could easily see both sides of the ship as it rotated. Our weather was so glorious (although it was very cold early in the morning so we were in our down jackets to start with), the Commodore actually rotated the ship twice. After lunch (great seafood buffet that day), we went back to our port balcony cabin to enjoy the views as we left Glacier Bay. We enjoyed our balcony because we were blessed with beautiful weather all week. (The main reason we pay extra for the balcony, however, is because I get seasick really easily and need to be near fresh air.) There are many places on the ship to enjoy the views without paying for a balcony.

enhance

What a beautiful photo.....

My wife and I are taking our very first cruise and first time to Alaska as well. We are on the Ruby, taking the May 19th sailing. We also selected a full obstructed view on deck 8. We've seen pictures of the views from these rooms and they don't look bad to me.

I had not had an obstructed view cabin in a long, long time...and in August enjoyed one with little obstruction on a Scandinavian cruise on Crown.

I took some of the most interesting photos from our cabin with the scenery outside being framed by the window.... very cool......

Just the opposite for us, we will never go to Alaska without a balcony. We have taken 12 cruises to Alaska, every day of the cruise affords you great opportunity to see this magnificent area at its best. We have never had a day that we haven't seen either a bear, whale or absolltely beautiful snow capped mountains and waterfalls from our balcony. For as many balconies as there are on the sides of a Princess ship, I am always amazed that so few people are out there to see Alaska's beauty. MANY times I have been out on the balcony and yelled 'WHALE' and no one heard me, maybe they were watching TV or sleeping.

I think cruisers get used to being on other area cruises where there is nothing to see but the sea, so when they go to Alaska they don't bother to take the time to smell the roses (enjoy a scenic cruise) . We will be back in Alaska again this season, we never tire of its beauty.

As I understand it, for at least the past six years, the Seattle RT cruises departing on Saturdays go to Glacier Bay: sea day, Juneau, Skagway, GBNP, Ketchikan, Victoria. Seattle RT cruises departing on Sundays go to Tracy Arm: sea day, Ketchikan, TAF & Juneau, Skagway, sea day, Victoria. The Ruby was previously on the Sunday runs (we were on the Ruby for a Sunday run in 2015), but it's now on the Saturday runs and the Emerald is on the Sunday runs. TAF is stunning and the price is usually cheaper on the Sunday runs, but I find the Saturday runs more relaxing (too much gets crammed into three days on the Sunday runs).

• 2 months later...

are there any "obstructed view" balconies that save you some money over regular ones? I know there are obstructed OV, but I really like a balcony for the fresh air, privacy, etc others have mentioned and love the cold - so will probably sit out there a lot. But wouldn't mind an obstructed view to save some coin and just go on deck during glacier bay. Right now, splurging on a Caribe deck balcony for 2019 trip....still time to change though.

Oh this thread makes me so excited!! We have booked a Denali Explorer 12 night land/cruise tour for late June 2019 onboard the Royal with our 6 year old son. We have booked a delux balcony cabin. This is our first time to Alaska! I can't wait! The photos on this thread are beautiful!!

I can't wait to do some whale watching shore excursions - especially the photography based one! :)

are there any "obstructed view" balconies that save you some money over regular ones? I know there are obstructed OV, but I really like a balcony for the fresh air, privacy, etc others have mentioned and love the cold - so will probably sit out there a lot. But wouldn't mind an obstructed view to save some coin and just go on deck during glacier bay. Right now, splurging on a Caribe deck balcony for 2019 trip....still time to change though.

The Royal class does have obstructed view balcony cabins.