Dinner Wear Questions

gymrat

Hi All,

I'll be on the Celebration ship for the E Carribean June 26.

icon_cool.gif

Does anyone have any info on the required evening wear? I was curious if there are any themed nights, say, hawaiian? I know there are formal nights as well, will they kick me out if i'm not in sequins or rhinestones? (joking) Can i get away with dressy casual for the formal nights?

What about the kids, can they get away with a polo shirt and nice slacks for the formal evening?

Also, when someone says you can bring on booze, would two bottles of wine per person be an "excessive" amount? Would they charge you to bring it on board or just a corking fee?

Thanks

Two strikes against you already, a Polo shirt on Formal night, and smuggling booze, wait till the regulars read this post, especially Danno, you're gonna get flammed, you're gonna get flammed!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

I won't start the flame but will say: Formal is formal, dark suit, tux!...no you won't get thrown out but you also will be under-dressed (well maybe you'll get tossed)

We dressed our 8 yo Gradson in a white shirt, dark slacks and a tie....he looked cute, ate fast and asked to be excused early so he could run upstairs and take the tie off. (They served him at a different pace)

Our kids brought a couple bottles of wine onboard...there was a corkage fee in the dining room.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04 Mexico

Celebrity Infinity 5/05 Alaska

Mercury Cruise 3/13/04 & Amtrak Train trip 4/04 Pic's

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

A polo shirt is a big no on formal night. On a casual night it is just fine. Two bottles of wine per person is not excessive, although the wine list is quite good.

Splurge and buy some dressy formal attire, you will enjoy the voyage more if you feel you are dressed accordingly. Bon Voyage

DENISE

Next up Celebrity Summit 10/15/04

Carnival Fantasy 2/95

Carnival Fantasy 2/97

Carnival Facination 1/98

Dawn Princess 11/98

Sun Princess 11/99

Celebrity Century 10/00

Dawn Princess 5/01

RCCL Adventure 3/02

Dawn Princess 9/02

Grand Princess 9/03

Star Princess 1/04

gymrat:

Celebration--isn't that a Carnival ship? I hear they are very picky about taking any booze/wine/etc. on board.

I think if you post your question about what to wear on the Carnival forum, you may find it to be less formal than the Celebrity ships. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy cruising! icon_cool.gif

I get to flame Newt, he answered the question without picking up that the poster was on the wrong board. You may need that get out of jail coupon Newt.

Don

gymrat, the Celebration is a Carnival ship and not Celebrity. You should post this on the Carnival board.

The Celebration is a less formal ship and you can probably get away with not dressing in the fancy gowns and sequins. If you were on one of Carnival's Spirit Class ships, that would not be the case, but the Celebration is one of their older ships and therefore not as fancy or formal as their Spirit Class ships are. Carnival has gotten really picky about bringing on alcohol and they may take it away from you if they find it.

Darcie

OOPs.........10_12_3.gif....guess I too need new glasses! At least he will be well dressed on the Carnival ship.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04 Mexico

Celebrity Infinity 5/05 Alaska

Mercury Cruise 3/13/04 & Amtrak Train trip 4/04 Pic's

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Well, I guess i am about to open a hornets nest about the dress codes on the "Millenium," because I saw everything walking past the evening meal greet crew at the door to the formal dining room on several nights on my cruise this year: bluejeans, peddlepushers, shorts and even tanktops! Our table inquired of the Maitre-d, and several ships officers, and always got the same basic reply: "We are not fashion police!" I saw so many pairs of blejeans on this cruise, I thought it was either some kind of western theme cruise, or they just had a lot of passengers from Montana and Wyoming on this cruise! It really took away from the "special" ambiance of a cruise, and felt like we were eating at a McDonald's restaurant on Saturday afternoon! I mentioned it to the ship's rep at the Cruise Critic party,

and got pretty much the same response. So it is my guess that this is a Celebrity Line policy. Perhaps it has something to do with staying competitive, or something like that. Anyone else experience this, or have any ideas why Celebrity isn't enforcing it's own dress code?

Hiicon_smile.gif

Quote by bovs:

-----------------------------------------------

"Anyone else experience this, or have any ideas why Celebrity isn't enforcing it's own dress code?"

---------------------------------------------

The Dress Code debate.....there have been ships and sailings where the dress code has been enforced. I have read posts on here where people have been turned away from the dining room when dressed inappropriately.

I have no idea why it is not done all the way across the fleet.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

As for women's formal attire I always feel well dressed and I wear very dressy black pants and glittery tops -- I always feel great.

Voyager of the Sea -- September 2001; Galaxy -- May 2002; Zuiderdam -- September 2003; Summit -- April 2004; CAN'T WAIT -- SUMMIT OCTOBER 2004

The formal nights on any Carnival ship people dress for the occasion. If it's not a gown and tux/dark suit and tie, you will see a nice cocktail dress and suits. If you do not want to dress for formal nights there are alternative restaurants. Most cruisers go with the flow. There are a few, as with any cruise line, who are "on vacation" and refuse to pack/dress the formal dresses and suits but IMHO it's a case of whatever floats your boat icon_biggrin.gif

Peanuts

Summit 02/07/05

Miracle 3/1/04 and 3/6/04

Legend 2/03

Triumph 2/02

Fascination 1/01

Sea Princess 12-99

Elation 2-99

Archived