Just back from Curacao

Giantfan13

We just got back from Curacao. We do not do beaches or snorkel, so we just decided to wander about this wonderful city. It is extremely attractive with vibrant colors of the building. Since we did not dock right in the heart of the city, we walked to it (about a 15 minute, easy walk). There are many stalls selling all sorts of goods (probably most made in China), along the way, but it was interesting just looking and hondeling with some of the sellers. We walked to the pontoon bridge and over it.

We did walk to the Jewish Synagogue and was very offended that you cannot even look inside without paying for a tour $10 PP. We did not want the tour, just to look inside as we have done in many, many synagogues all over the Caribbean and the world. If they wanted a donation, I would have gladly given it, but there is simply no reason to ask some one to pay just to visit any sort of place of worship.

Anyway, as we wondered about, we found some sort of street vendors away from the regulars, and saw the exact same items for a lot less money. Sorry, I do not recall the street, but if you wander off the main streets, they are all over the place and DO hondel with them.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the information! Which ship were you on? I've heard that many ships are docking further away from the heart of the city. Glad to know it's only a 15 minute walk. We're doing a tour in Curacao, but we're in port until 8PM so we want to also tour the city, marketplace and bridge. I saw the synagogue on a local television show. Disappointing that you could not go inside. Thanks for letting us know about the $10 fee.

Thanks for the information! Which ship were you on? I've heard that many ships are docking further away from the heart of the city. Glad to know it's only a 15 minute walk. We're doing a tour in Curacao, but we're in port until 8PM so we want to also tour the city, marketplace and bridge. I saw the synagogue on a local television show. Disappointing that you could not go inside. Thanks for letting us know about the $10 fee.

We were on the NCL Breakaway. There was another ship docked right by the pontoon bridge. Don't know if it was the size of our ship, or just the other one being there first.

While we were walking back, on the pontoon bridge, they sound this loud horn and all of a sudden the bridge started to move. We were just at the end, and we hopped off, but they had closed the gate so no other people could go on. There had to be well over 100 people on the bridge when it started to swing open. I think it was just to let a small harbor boat out (or in) and then it swung closed again. No particular time table for this, just the luck of the draw.

We have been to many of the synagogues in the Caribbean and we never had to pay to enter. We just got back from Rome, and every church is wide open for anyone who wishes to visit or pray. It wasn't the money, but I was told you had to pay to enter a place of worship, and that bothered me. As I said, if they let you in and ask for a donation, I always give one. We are of the Jewish faith, and you should just have to pay to enter a synagogue. Just my opinion.

Cheers

Len

Cheers

Len

Thank you for the info! We will be sailing in, in March, and wanted to do something other than beach/snorkeling. Good to know the better priced vendors are on the side streets as well!

We bought a sort of metal sign, that was very colorful, said Welcome from Curacao and was about 12 inches around. We saw the same thing at vendors by the ship and along the way into town, anywhere from $25-$30. We bought ours from a vendor on a side street for $16. She asked for $20 but after some friendly hondeling and threatening to just walk away, we made the sale. Hondeling is an art and they expect you to try. The vendors off the main streets are more apt to make a deal as they just do not have the foot traffic as those on the main roads.

Cheers

Len

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...