Heathrow - London - Dover / Question about transfers and hotel

F02

I intend to transfer from Heathrow to London, spend a few days there for sightseeing and then transfer to Dover for a cruise.

I would appreciate advice about the transfers and a hotel - if possible based on experience.

Thank you.

Working backwards, the easiest and cheapest way to get to Dover is the direct train from Victoria. This suggests that one of the many hotels in the Victoria area would be a good choice. Victoria is an excellent base for seeing the major tourist sights like Buckingham Palace, The Houses of Parliament (sadly with the tower all covered in scaffolding), The London Eye and Westminster Abbey, to mention a few. It is also easy to catch a river taxi down the Thames to Tower Bridge and The Tower of London.

This also means that the National Express coach from Heathrow to Victoria Coach Station would be the simplest way to get to London.

I suggest that you use Tripadvisor or any other hotel search engine of your choice to find a hotel within your budget in the SW1 postcode. When you have a shortlist, post them here and see what others say.

The Dover bit is easy as there are two trains that go there. The High Speed from St Pancras to Dover Priory (just over an hour) or the 'slow train' which usually goes from Victoria but sometimes from Charing Cross or London Bridge, depending on time of day and if there are any engineering works. That one takes about 1 hour 45 minutes. Short taxi ride to the cruise terminal (not sure if your ship will have a shuttle). So I guess it depends where you stay in London and how quickly you want to get to Dover! Heathrow to central London has several options (tube, train, taxi, bus) which I'm sure others on this forum can explain.

... or the 'slow train' which usually goes from Victoria but sometimes from Charing Cross or London Bridge, depending on time of day and if there are any engineering works.
I think that there are normally direct trains from Charing Cross and London Bridge (it's the same train that starts at Charing Cross and calls at London Bridge on the way) throughout the day, so it's not really a "sometimes" thing. That means that staying near those stations would be just as convenient for getting to Dover as staying near Victoria.

I think that there are normally direct trains from Charing Cross and London Bridge (it's the same train that starts at Charing Cross and calls at London Bridge on the way) throughout the day, so it's not really a "sometimes" thing. That means that staying near those stations would be just as convenient for getting to Dover as staying near Victoria.

But not as convenient for Heathrow. I forgot to mention that there is also a direct coach from Victoria to Dover. From previous posts, I gather that the driver will stop off near the Cruise terminal if asked (before he loads the luggage though)

But not as convenient for Heathrow.
That's true. But as there is no ideal hotel location in London, it might help someone who is assessing the balance of all the relevant factors to know that the train service from Charing Cross to Dover Priory is actually not bad. Speaking personally, if I were visiting London I'd certainly prefer my hotel to be nearer Charing Cross than Victoria.

There’s not a great choice of hotels near Charing Cross. There’s the Charing Cross Hotel itself and the Royal Horseguards Hotel which is even more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There certainly isn’t the selection of cheaper options often suggested in Victoria, but there are at least half-a-dozen good 4 and 5 star hotels round Charing Cross [emoji846]

The Charing Cross Hotel is now the Amba Charing Cross.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There’s not a great choice of hotels near Charing Cross.
There certainly isn’t the selection of cheaper options often suggested in Victoria, but there are at least half-a-dozen good 4 and 5 star hotels round Charing Cross
:D

Including some which might feel privately insulted to be rated with a mere 5 stars.

Thank you for offering additional help. I believe to need it.

From the information I received and liking to have it simple, I conclude that I should stay near Victoria Station. If I get a bus that goes directly from Heathrow to Victoria Station and another that takes me directly to the port of Dover and if I stay within walking distance of Victoria Station, I am least likely to forget part of my 3-piece luggage.

My search for hotels was unsuccessful. Probably I will have to consider hotels that are more expensive than what I usually pay for a city hotel.

What would be useful to know:

• What bus, where to get it and if I can pay by credit card or how much to expect to have to pay from Heathrow,
  • What hotel at most 600 meters walking distance from the bus stop and how to get there,
  • and the same for the bus to Dover.

Thank you for offering additional help. I believe to need it.

From the information I received and liking to have it simple, I conclude that I should stay near Victoria Station. If I get a bus that goes directly from Heathrow to Victoria Station and another that takes me directly to the port of Dover and if I stay within walking distance of Victoria Station, I am least likely to forget part of my 3-piece luggage.

My search for hotels was unsuccessful. Probably I will have to consider hotels that are more expensive than what I usually pay for a city hotel.

What would be useful to know:

• What bus, where to get it and if I can pay by credit card or how much to expect to have to pay from Heathrow,
  • What hotel at most 600 meters walking distance from the bus stop and how to get there,
  • and the same for the bus to Dover.

National Express have a bus from Heathrow to Victoria - depending on which terminal you are at either leaves from outside the the terminal or from the Heathrow Central Bus Station. Website says it's £5 one way. Check out their info here: https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/destinations/london/heathrow-to-london

The bus to Dover will leave from Victoria Coach Station and will take over 3 hours (at least - traffic can sometimes be appalling as it's one of the busiest ports in the UK). Best check that they will go to the cruise terminal though. They go to the ferry terminal but that's not very near the cruise terminal. TBH, if you're staying in Victoria, way easier to take the train and then the short taxi ride. But if it's the coach, again check the National Express website.

If I get a bus that goes directly from Heathrow to Victoria Station and another that takes me directly to the port of Dover ...
The bus to Dover will leave from Victoria Coach Station and will take over 3 hours (at least - traffic can sometimes be appalling as it's one of the busiest ports in the UK). Best check that they will go to the cruise terminal though. They go to the ferry terminal but that's not very near the cruise terminal.
I have in the past seen it said that the coach driver isn't really supposed to do this. It can't be too frowned upon, but I wonder whether that means that it cannot be relied upon. And if the coach driver won't drive to the cruise ship part of the port, then I suspect it'll mean needing a taxi from central Dover, in which case you might as well have taken the train to begin with.

Thank you Philbeach Traveller and Globaliser.

You definitely add some points to take the train and then a taxi. I believe to keep the options open by staying close to Victoria station. So, I plan to decide once I am in London.

Hotels in London generally are expensive and as you might expect, popular areas are more expensive still. To save money, I suggest that you plan to eat out as hotel restaurant prices are also high.

The coach to Dover is generally much cheaper than the train and if the driver will stop at the cruise port, so much the better - if not then the taxi fare is the same as if you caught the train.

Normally, if you're on the Dover coach and want to get off before they stop at the coach station (or ferry port), then you need to take your luggage on board and not in the luggage compartments below. If you have large luggage then this won't be an option. Stop by Victoria coach station when you're in London and ask if they are planning to stop at the cruise terminal that day as they may have other passengers going there and just might do it. Good luck!

Thank you for your further inputs about

Please, let me ask if anyone has any thoughts about the Park Plaza Hotel – other than that it is not cheap?

There are three of them....which one?

Are you choosing it for location or for quality.

Prices seem fair for what they are.

The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is an excellent hotel in a great location. Members of my family stay there when visiting London.

Park Plaza Riverbank is slightly less well situated, but should not be ruled out (I used to live nearby!).

Park Plaza Park Royal is well outside central London and I would not recommend it for your purposes.

Not to be rude, but if you find the Park Plazas expensive, you may need to revise your expectations. Rates there often represent decent value for that class of hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please, let me ask if anyone has any thoughts about the Park Plaza Hotel – other than that it is not cheap?
There are three of them....which one?
The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is an excellent hotel in a great location. Members of my family stay there when visiting London.

Park Plaza Riverbank is slightly less well situated, but should not be ruled out (I used to live nearby!).

Park Plaza Park Royal is well outside central London and I would not recommend it for your purposes.

Given the context of the previous discussion, isn't it likely that the OP is asking about the Park Plaza Victoria?

It looks like there are eight of them now: Westminster Bridge, Riverbank and Park Royal; but also County Hall, Sherlock Holmes, On the River, Waterloo and Victoria.

Crikey, a proliferation of Plazas. The three I mentioned were the ones I know (actually I know 'on the River', I see, but I thought it was a different group).

Your earlier comment still applies for me - I'm sure it's a fine hotel, but would have to be a much better rate for me to stay in Victoria rather than Westminster Bridge/Waterloo.

'Sherlock Holmes' - was trying to work out how they'd changed the pub into a 4 star hotel, but I see it is in Baker Street [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all.

Please excuse me for not specifying, that I effectively meant the Park Plaza Victoria. I was completely focused on having simple trip segments and the distance fromVictoria Station that I did not realize that I should have specified.

The location being important and not reading any negative comments for this hotel and rather positive ones for the other hotels of the group, I decided to book the Park Plaza Victoria hotel. I realize that there is always a matter of luck, however well the research was done.