Is Gelato Considered Ice Cream?

plantlady104

I do not know how gelato is served on MSC ships, but gelato is not the same as ice cream in several ways even though they taste very similar. You can do a quick web search to see all the technical differences between the two, but one difference is why gelato cannot be called ice cream in the US: ice cream must be at least 10% butterfat, where gelato usually has about half that amount. Therefore, in US supermarkets, gelato cannot legally be called ice cream. As mentioned there are several other differences in how the two are made. Rather one is better than the other is a matter of personal preference. My guess is that most people could not tell the difference if they tasted both back-to-back with the same favor. That said, we still get gelato on ships when it is free and use to at home until I had to go on a sugar limited diet that eliminated both. The only cheat I make at home is to buy "no sugar added" ice cream, which is coming more popular.

Will be sailing soon on the Seaside. We have the inclusive drink package which is worded to include ice cream by cup or cone. So is that interpreted as the Gelato, as only ice cream that I know of is the free soft serve at buffet?

Sorry ........... I should have actually answered the question asked! :rolleyes: The gelato included in the package is not the soft serve kind - it's the one that's scooped from a container. There is a whole range of flavours and, I believe, they change them up occasionally. As I don't eat ice cream/gelato, I never pay too much heed to what's available.

I think the OP’s question had more to do with whether items from the gelateria would be included in the all-inclusive beverage package. Based on my read of the packages, the answer is “yes.” Soft serve is already free thus the wording of the AI packages suggests that take-away ice cream in a cup or cone (such as what is offered at the gelateria) is included. It *may* not include certain ice cream treats consumed in the gelateria, however. As always, asking MSC or your TA would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be sailing soon on the Seaside. We have the inclusive drink package which is worded to include ice cream by cup or cone. So is that interpreted as the Gelato, as only ice cream that I know of is the free soft serve at buffet?

There is no comparison between that glutinous goo that is soft serve and Italian gelato which is the real McCoy

and it is gelato on the drinks package