Hotel In Rome & Transportation to/from Port

Caribbean Buckeye

We are flying into Rome three days before our cruise so we're looking for a hotel in the area across the river from the Vatican near lots of good sightseeing locations. I believe some of the popular locations are Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Piazza Venezia. We are a family of four so we'd like to find a reasonably priced room that sleeps four.

We also need transportation to/from the Cruise Port. Norwegian's prices are pretty high so we're looking for something more affordable. We are traveling with a pretty big group (at least 20 people) so a bus wouldn't be out of the question.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Easiest way is to book a hotel, then have them arrange for a private car or bus to pick up your group through one of their preferred services. Prices are more or less fixed in Rome by the tourism authority so expect to pay around $120E for a car or luxury van (mercedes) to take you to your hotel. Bring Euros too, if you try to pay in USD they will give you a pretty poor exchange rate.

For hotels, there's a wide variety of comfort and price ranges. You'll have to gauge how comfortable your family needs to be in the hotel room vs. how close and convenient they want to be to the tourist sites. Prices and star levels vary greatly.

We stayed near the Piazza Narvona a few years ago and rented an apartment through VRBO for our family of four. The owner arranged a car service to pick us up from the airport that drove us to the apartment. I believe we stayed five nights. It was wonderful staying in a neighborhood and having the extra room the apartment gave us. We were able to walk to the Vatican, the Spanish Steps and of course the Piazza Narvona. I believe we wired a deposit and then paid in Euros upon arrival.

Are you all arriving on the same flight, at the same time? This would definitely affect the type and manner of transport.

I would suggest contacting any of the frequently mentioned transport companies here, like the wonderful Rome in Limo, to see what they can do for your transportation.

For transportation I would look at Rome In Limo as CruiserBruce mentioned or another one that several of us often recommend which is Rome Cabs at http://www.romecabs.com

Do book one of these sooner rather then later as they are very popular.

For hotel in addition to the advice on this board I would also make use of trip advisor. We will be in Rome this September and I wanted to change up the hotel we have stayed at before. I looked at previous threads on this board but in the end I found trip advisor was a big help.

Keith

Thank you everybody! Based on some advice from other travelers, we used Airbnb to get a wonderful apartment with two bedrooms near the Colosseum. The owner was extremely friendly and arranged for us to get transportation to our apartment from the airport for €50. As for transportation to the port from our apartment, we are also going to ask our host if he has any suggestions for a party of 20 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums