Which Itinerary?

WassupBro

I would choose the 2 days in Cabo over a stop in Mazatlan, especially since the State Dept has issued a travel advisory for the Mexican state of Sinaloa, where Mazatlan is located.

Edit ro add: We are on the 2/24 sailing, which includes Mazatlan, only for schedule/price reasons. We plan to stay on the ship in Mazatlan though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

We cruised the itinerary that includes Mazatlan in 2010 and it felt very unsafe. There were armed soldiers everywhere. We were actually on the Splendor cruise just before it caught fire (got off the ship the day before.) I believe when they started sailing that itinerary again, Mazatlan was not included due to dangers. There was a several year stent where Mazatlan was not included as a stop due to it being very dangerous with high crime against tourists. I personally would pick overnight in Cabo.

The problems in Sinoloa are like saying don’t visit Los Angeles because Oakland is dangerous.

Personally, I’d look for a Cabo/Puerto Vallarta overnight itin. Last choice would be Cabo Cabo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love Mazatlan. Have cruised there before and also stayed a week. Will be cruising there again in March. Have not had trouble in the touristy areas and in old town by the church and Mercado.

We’ve all given you our opinions. It depends on what you’re looking for and your comfort level.

If you want a Mexican Experience then do the itin with Mazatlan. If you want a more American Experience then do two days in Cabo.

PV and Mazatlan are Mexican cities, dating back to 1851 (PV) and 1531 (Mazatlan). Mazatlan’s Central Mercado was built in 1899. Cruise Ships dock at the commercial port in Mazatlan. Very interesting watching them load a car hauler.

Cabo was a small fishing village until the mid 1970’s. The Marina looks like any modern marina in the States. Might as well be in Long Beach.

The problems in Sinoloa are like saying don’t visit Los Angeles because Oakland is dangerous.

I don't know. Normally I'd agree with that, but the info on the State Dept. website says violent crime is widespread in Sinaloa:

Sinaloa state – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime. Violent crime is widespread. Criminal organizations are based and operating in Sinaloa state.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel in most areas of the state. In areas where travel is permitted, the following restrictions are in place:

• Mazatlan: U.S. government travel is permitted only in Zona Dorada, the historic town center, and direct routes to and from these locations and the airport or the cruise ship terminal.
  • Los Mochis and Port Topolobampo: U.S. government travel is permitted within the city and the port, as well as direct routes to and from these locations and the airport.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

I don't know. Normally I'd agree with that, but the info on the State Dept. website says violent crime is widespread in Sinaloa:

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

So

they’re saying stay in the tourist zone. That’s not hard to do.

We’ve all given you our opinions. It depends on what you’re looking for and your comfort level.

If you want a Mexican Experience then do the itin with Mazatlan. If you want a more American Experience then do two days in Cabo.

PV and Mazatlan are Mexican cities, dating back to 1851 (PV) and 1531 (Mazatlan). Mazatlan’s Central Mercado was built in 1899. Cruise Ships dock at the commercial port in Mazatlan. Very interesting watching them load a car hauler.

Cabo was a small fishing village until the mid 1970’s. The Marina looks like any modern marina in the States. Might as well be in Long Beach.

I get what you're saying, but I grew up in the LBC area. Parents are still there. Cabo is a LOT nicer than Long Beach. That's why I don't mind the Mexican Riviera cruises. They typically leave out of Long Beach or San Pedro and Cabo is most definitely an upgrade from those two ports.

PV might have a slightly nicer beach, but it's pretty run down mostly so I feel you can argue at least Long Beach is nicer than PV. Both pretty Americanized.