Flying to San Jaun

Keys2Heaven

I have several questions regarding travel to San Juan, PR as part of our cruise next year (Carnival Destiny, December 10th - 17th).

1. How important is it to fly in a day early (Saturday)? Peace of mind or is this something a savvy traveler would do.

2. How important is it that we fly back the next day? (Monday). I have heard some talk about getting to the airport before noon. Unfortunately for us, the cheapest airfare I could find (can't search into December yet) is around $440 and has us on a plane in San Juan at 9:00am. Just don't know if this is possible.

What about red-eye flights?

It depends on where you are flying from.

If coming from across the country with several connections or snow country then I would fly in a day early.

On the return book a flight for noon or later to be on the safe side.

I agree with LHT 28; Do fly in a day early if you are coming from anywhere west of the Mississippi or from a snow climate, just to get a full day of rest on your first cruise day as well as peace of mind.

For the return, you can go out the same day you return, but not earlier than 12:30 or so. Disembarking can take a while, and even with early tags you can be delayed getting through customs, or to the airport. And the airport will be pretty crowded, too. Compare the cost of the early Monday flight + hotel to the cost of the afternoon Sunday flight and make your decision based on that.

We flew in 3 days early (to visit friends) and stayed a day late. There is so much to see in OSJ that we enjoyed the relaxed final day. That night we stayed at the Wyndham( I believe it is now a Sheraton) and watched the ships sail from the rooftop pool:) . I would stay over if at all possible.

Also agree about the possible weather delays!

We're heading out from Detroit, trying to fly in a day early for our May 14th cruise. We will be flying home the same day the ship docks on the 21st.

So far, the lowest airfare is $395. Should I book this or what for something lower?

Thanks for any advice. Didn't mean to hijack the OP's original questions..... ;)

Our flight from Detroit to San Juan cost us $417 including taxes. We booked through Expedia, flying in a day before our cruise on American Airlines Jan 27, and returning on US Airways Feb 4.

I chose American because it landed in Miami before San Juan, and I was thinking once we left Detroit I didn't want a stop where winter weather could delay us. However, the schedule for our flight from Detroit was delayed by 15 minutes, that will cause us to miss our early connection, so our layover in Miami will be 3 hr instead of 45 min., getting into San Juan at 5:00, and not being able to enjoy the sunshine at the beach resort that we booked

After I booked I discovered that there are very few direct flights from Miami to San Juan, and only on American, so if we are delayed by the weather we may have a long wait. If I had known that before I would not have selected American, and would have gone with US Airways for both ways, or checked out Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in SF and flew to SJU via IAD overnight. We got in to SJU around 1:30 the afternoon of departure. Luckily, we had first class so it wasn't too painful. On our return we notified them we had an early departure and were the second group off the ship. We were at the airport in 20 minutes and never felt rushed.

We're heading out from Detroit, trying to fly in a day early for our May 14th cruise. We will be flying home the same day the ship docks on the 21st.

So far, the lowest airfare is $395. Should I book this or what for something lower?

Thanks for any advice. Didn't mean to hijack the OP's original questions..... ;)

We found one in June for 405 roundtrip from Spirit.

It leaves at 7:00 am though and gets there at 1:30 after stopping in Ft. Lauderdale.

I am serioulsy thinking about going with Northwest which leaves at 9:00 am and gets there are 1:30 but it is a direct flight

I,m sure this has been covered before but would like to know your thoughts on booking our own air and /or advice on the same, we are booked on the Golden" 3/4/06. We live in Savannah, Ga. but leaving from JAX is fine with us, (easy 2 hr ride). This may be a double post...sorry,could'nt find original post.

I,m sure this has been covered before but would like to know your thoughts on booking our own air and /or advice on the same, we are booked on the Golden" 3/4/06. We live in Savannah, Ga. but leaving from JAX is fine with us, (easy 2 hr ride). This may be a double post...sorry,could'nt find original post.

If you can find it less expensive on your own at this point then book it on your own, otherwise you should be fine booking Princess Air. One suggestion if you do book Princess Air, see what it would cost you to do an air deviation and choose your own flights. That way you could choose the flights that would get you there the earliest. I know on RCI it only cost me $50 (actually free now that I'm Platinum) to choose the flights I wanted.

Myself and a group will be cruising on the Destiny in October 2006. Right now the going rate for flights from Detroit to San Juan is about $400.00. I havent been able to find anything cheaper. Although I still have time I am going to hold out for a sale on Spirit hopefully this summer. I am loking for $300.-$350 but we are willing to go up to $400.00.

Thanks for the infor DWH :)

I think I'll keep checking all the sites and hopefully find one of those sale dates that everyone talks about ....:rolleyes:

I have 4 months to the day.... :D

Good luck everyone with your flights....

SweetNLow2005, if you find something out of Detroit, please post, that's where I'll be flyin out of...

As an FYI, my fiance and I just got non-stop flights on United out of IAD-Dulles for $400 per ticket. We're traveling 4/7-4/16/06. I thought those were pretty good considering how much prices have gone up to San Juan since December. Good luck to the rest of you!

After I booked I discovered that there are very few direct flights from Miami to San Juan, and only on American, so if we are delayed by the weather we may have a long wait. If I had known that before I would not have selected American, and would have gone with US Airways for both ways, or checked out Spirit.

Be sure to note that there are also a few flights to SJU direct from FLL on AA -- it wouldn't be too hard to take a cab from MIA to FLL in order to make it if there was a problem with one of your flight.

I realize this is my totally compulsive side (is ther another one?) but I usually carry a list of alternate flights with me so that if there's a problem, I feel like I have the informaiton I need to make a decision -- so I'll be carrying both FLL and MIA flight lists to SJU covering a few airlines.

Best of luck!

Volleymasha

looking forward to 03/25/06 on the Serenade

Archived