Chilkoot Tour in Skagway question

abba1102

We are interested in taking the Bennett Scenic Journey in Skagway which is 8 hours long. Our cruise the Island Princess is in port from 7:00-8:30. On the tour website it says for our ship the tour would start at 9:30 so that would put us getting back at 5:30. Even though our ship doesn't leave until 8:30, has anyone ever had issues with tours/trains running late? I know we have a 3 hour cushion but it still makes me a little nervous.

Also, any reviews on this tour?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you book this excursion through your ship, the ship will not leave without you. The trip to Lake Bennett on the train is great. You will have a private car with tables and an amazing box lunch. My car had only 12 passengers so there was lots of room on the connecting ramps to take photographs during the ride.

Train pictures (Note private car with tables for the Lake Bennett passengers):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/white-pass-yukon-railroad/

Here is a link to my photos from Lake Bennett:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/canada/yukon-territory/lake-bennett-yukon-territory/nggallery/page/1

Enjoy your planning.

We are interested in taking the Bennett Scenic Journey in Skagway which is 8 hours long. Our cruise the Island Princess is in port from 7:00-8:30. On the tour website it says for our ship the tour would start at 9:30 so that would put us getting back at 5:30. Even though our ship doesn't leave until 8:30, has anyone ever had issues with tours/trains running late? I know we have a 3 hour cushion but it still makes me a little nervous.

Also, any reviews on this tour?

You will be fine to book this with Chilkoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely book with Chilkoot again. Their business depends on getting passengers back in plenty of time, so there should be no concerns about missing the ship. As others said, if the train has a delay, those on the ship excursion on the train will also be delayed, so the ship will wait for the train.

We took the bus / train combo to Emerald Lake in May and loved it. We added the dog cart ride with lunch at Caribou Crossing. We were back in Skagway at least 2 hours before boarding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums