NCL Breakaway - first time on NCL in years

krisean

We just booked the Breakaway departing Feb 16. The last time we sailed on NCL was a gazillion years ago on the Norway.

We have sailed a bunch on RCCL so we are not new to cruising. Would love any advice/info on NCL and the Breakaway about things that are not to be missed.

What specialty restaurants do you love?

What time can we get onboard? We are used to arriving at the pier around 10:30am and getting on the ship as soon as possible. Not sure if NCL works the same.

TIA

We just booked the Breakaway departing Feb 16. The last time we sailed on NCL was a gazillion years ago on the Norway.

Breakaway is a lot bigger than the Norway :) Essentially a RCCL Quantum Class ship size.

We have sailed a bunch on RCCL so we are not new to cruising. Would love any advice/info on NCL and the Breakaway about things that are not to be missed.

FreeStyle Crusing. MTD on steroids. Show up when you want, where you want for dinner in complimentary dining rooms. Always get a 2-top. No "Formal Nights", NCL embraces "Dress up or Not" allowing shorts in all dining rooms except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue (where gents need to have long pants and a polo shirt).

What specialty restaurants do you love?

Cagney's Steakhouse and Teppanyaki are the most popular restaurants and will sell out during prime time dining hours. We like Ocean Blue. If the weather is nice, sitting outside on the Waterfront for dinner is lovely (nice = not too hot, not too cold, not to windy, not raining)

What time can we get onboard? We are used to arriving at the pier around 10:30am and getting on the ship as soon as possible. Not sure if NCL works the same.

If you just booked, you probably got a poor "time to arrive at port". These times are not enforced. Show up between 10:15-10:30 to beat the crowds at security and check-in. The ship will begin General Boarding between 11:15-11:30. The Buffet opens at 11:30. O'Shehans pub opens at 11:30. The Taste and Savor MDRs open at noon. Grab a quick bite, then begin exploring the ship.

TIA

I posted Breakaway restaurant menus and food pics on this link https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

Go to your MyNCL account to check-in. You can try to book shows (Rock of Ages and Burn The Floor) and specialty dining now. If there are no preferred times, book them as soon as you embark. The easiest way is to use the touch screen kiosks in public areas around the elevators. Pick a show/restaurant, time, and scan your room key to make a booking.

Onboard, you can also book one comedy show (early shows are family oriented, late shows are 18+). We usually book one show, and go standby to others.

There is a dinner show, Cirque Jungle Fantasy, if you are a Cirque fan. Well worth the money. Like up at least 1 hour before show times for the best seats.

The Ropes Course with walking the plank over the edge of the ship is great. And the water slides are great (but the water slides may still be inoperative due to damage from the bombcyclone).

Well you are going to find the Breakaway a new experience for sure. It is very different from the Norway. Specialty dining: We love all of them, but Le Bistro is always our first choice, with Modernos next. As for MDR be sure to go to the Manhattan Room.

As for dining, in the MDRs just come when you want, but the best time to avoid the crowds is before 6pm or after 7:00. Dress as you like, but do dress tastefully, Shorts and allowed in most venures except Le Bistro and Manhattan room. also maybe one of the other MDRs.

Arrival at the pier whenever. Even if your are asked what time you are arriving, nothing is written in stone.

Have a great trip and hope you enjoy your NCL experience. We liked the Breakaway but still prefer a slightly smaller ship, others love the mega ship experience. BTW if you do not make reservations for specialty dining before you leave make sure you do it as soon as you get on the ship. The choice times are gone before you can blink your eyes.

We're on the same cruise. If you haven't checked yet, there is a roll call.

I would book your dinner res now if you want to go to any of the specialty restaurants. Our faves are Cagney's and Le Bistro.

Hopefully the weather warms up for us

When you check in you will be given a boarding number. If general boarding begins at 11:30, all boarding numbers should be called by 12:00. They normally call groups of numbers.

Cabins won't be ready, so a nice lunch at Taste or Savor on deck 6 is always good. Use your beverage plan and have a cocktail. A nice alternative to the first day buffet nightmare.

Last time I sailed BA, on sea days there was a small breakfast buffet at Moderno on deck 8. Margaritaville on deck 16 has a nice assortment of breakfast items, and its semi-outdoors, so it's perfect for breakfast once you are in warmer climes.

On sea days, there are themed buffets at Moderno. Mexican, German, Indian etc. You can also get hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches right there at Cagney's.

Do try the Shanghai's Noodle Bar, if you happen to find it open. And be sure to try Ocean Blue and Cagney's. The Prime Meridian Bar between Moderno and Cagney's is a nice place to have a pre-dinner cocktail.

Garden Café food is good IMO, even for dinner. Things like suckling pig, and shrimp skewers. Not too shabby.

The Waterfront is a nice area to hang out. Pool deck is a madhouse. It's a nice ship, but I do prefer the 2,400 passenger sized ships more. The lines for going ashore and disembarkation are awful.

If you are doing a ship excursion from Port Canaveral, you will probably receive some priority disembarkation. Last time I cruised BA, I was solo and not in the Haven, so when ship docked in San Juan around 4pm, I just waited until the lines were gone. A couple beers and some chicken wings at O'Sheehans helped me pass the time.

Have a great time.

When you check in you will be given a boarding number. If general boarding begins at 11:30, all boarding numbers should be called by 12:00. They normally call groups of numbers.

Cabins won't be ready, so a nice lunch at Taste or Savor on deck 6 is always good. Use your beverage plan and have a cocktail. A nice alternative to the first day buffet nightmare.

Last time I sailed BA, on sea days there was a small breakfast buffet at Moderno on deck 8. Margaritaville on deck 16 has a nice assortment of breakfast items, and its semi-outdoors, so it's perfect for breakfast once you are in warmer climes.

On sea days, there are themed buffets at Moderno. Mexican, German, Indian etc. You can also get hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches right there at Cagney's.

Do try the Shanghai's Noodle Bar, if you happen to find it open. And be sure to try Ocean Blue and Cagney's. The Prime Meridian Bar between Moderno and Cagney's is a nice place to have a pre-dinner cocktail.

Garden Café food is good IMO, even for dinner. Things like suckling pig, and shrimp skewers. Not too shabby.

The Waterfront is a nice area to hang out. Pool deck is a madhouse. It's a nice ship, but I do prefer the 2,400 passenger sized ships more. The lines for going ashore and disembarkation are awful.

If you are doing a ship excursion from Port Canaveral, you will probably receive some priority disembarkation. Last time I cruised BA, I was solo and not in the Haven, so when ship docked in San Juan around 4pm, I just waited until the lines were gone. A couple beers and some chicken wings at O'Sheehans helped me pass the time.

Have a great time.

We have started doing exactly that regardless which ship we are on. Get on the ship, head for O'SHeehans for wings or whatever and a drink or two. The first time we did it that way was on the BA. It works wonders, keeps the spirits high, fun people watching and helps pass the time. ;p