TransAtlantic Questions

BDRebel

We have done a couple TAs during April and found that the first 6 days to Ponta Delgada aren't too bad weather wise, after that the further north you go the cooler/colder it gets. Last year we did the layer look with clothes further north we went, sea conditions were for the most part good, one day was a bit rough with T-storms, and when we got to Germany it was a mix of clouds/rain/sun and unusual snow flurries in Berlin. Just make sure if you're going north to be prepared for a mixed bag of weather, that's really the only thing that really stood out to us, other than that a great trip. We're on the FLL to CPH TA leaving April 15th, love the sea days of doing NOTHING but relaxing.

The sea days is a big reason why I booked!

Thanks for the advice on the weather and temps.

Does the ship provide on-board entertainment different than what they do for Caribbean cruises (stage shows in the evening, quartets around the lounges during the afternoon/evening)?

We have done 4 TA cruises. Three have been West bound and obviously one has been East bound. One thing to think about is you will loose an hours sleep on 6 of the nights on an East bound cruise due to the time zone change. If heading West you would gain the hour. We find that there are more daytime activities on TA cruises than on Caribbean cruises

The sea days is a big reason why I booked!

Thanks for the advice on the weather and temps.

Does the ship provide on-board entertainment different than what they do for Caribbean cruises (stage shows in the evening, quartets around the lounges during the afternoon/evening)?

Yes to the evening shows in the theater, usually a comedian is onboard also, quartet plays between the Atrium and pool area, more in the evenings in Atrium, people dance at night in the atrium, people watching is great, we usually do late dinner in MDR, last April the food and service was really good and if we didn't like the menu we usually go to the burger place and in the evenings will do bbq, we don't usually eat in the buffet, mornings are usually room service for B fast, CG was good, you'll have 3 formal nights if I remember correctly, all in all being a large ship with a great crew we had a blast and that's why we're doing this TA again and will fly back to CPH in Sept. to sail back to NYC on her also.

Thanks, all, for the input -- I am looking forward to it even harder now!

We are visiting Ponta Delgada (Portugal), Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark. Do they all accept Euros, or should I get the local currency (planning on getting money exchange at my local bank prior to leaving -- is this a good idea?)

Thanks, all, for the input -- I am looking forward to it even harder now!

We are visiting Ponta Delgada (Portugal), Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark. Do they all accept Euros, or should I get the local currency (planning on getting money exchange at my local bank prior to leaving -- is this a good idea?)

Portugal, Belgium, France, Netherlands are all Euros and Denmark is Danish Krone. We get Euros in Ponta Delgada at an atm at one of the banks, usually better exchange rate, just make sure the card you use has little to no international fees, check with your bank.

Visas--generally not in most European countries, yes to Russia (but these generally come with tours as they won't let you go off on your own). Check with Princess or your TA as to specific countries. The ones listed in the post above do not need visas for US citizens.

We've one 8 transatlantics. LOVE them--best cruises ever!

First off, you will love the Regal. We sailed her now, must say four times. We did a TA on Royal Princess a few years back from Fort Lauderdale in April and the weather was pretty fabulous all the way across. No rain, pretty warm and when we got to Barcelona, they were having a heat wave. Very warm. I remember taking the train the Montserrat for the day (also really cheap = maybe 10 euros return per person.) We spent several days post cruise in Barcelona. On the TA, there seems to be port lectures which depending on the lecturer can be very interesting and informative from everything from astrology to psychology. You do not get all those shopping lectures either (some but not much) and there is no shopping to be had for the first 6 or seven days. Always something to keep you busy - sometimes I was running myself wragged to do it all!!! Three formals. So tens of thousands of photos ( if you are so inclined). Ended up using both my coffee cards (Elite) that I exchanged from the liquor I do not need. As it is so nice to sit in the International Café with a latte, etc. Oh, by the way, the IC is so much larger on Regal than on the other Princess ships. I can't wait to do it again. We are on a Transpacific in April out of Japan.