Singapore-How early to check in for US flight?

Tbird58

I would read advice given with your documents or check airline website. Singapore airport is massive, once you clear customs there are lots of things you can see and do depending on which terminal you are in. There is a train, people mover to transfer between terminals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would read advice given with your documents or check airline website. Singapore airport is massive, once you clear customs there are lots of things you can see and do depending on which terminal you are in. There is a train, people mover to transfer between terminals.

Yep, I've read between 2- 3 hours and for me that's way too much time. Guess I'll do more checking. Thanks.

Yep, I've read between 2- 3 hours and for me that's way too much time. Guess I'll do more checking. Thanks.

Minimal recommend time is 2 hours before departure. Some airlines close their check-in counters 30-45 minutes before departure. Also remember there is immigration and security to do. Changi is a busy airport, if there are 4-6 jumbos leaving about the same time immigration/security will be busy. Your flight is US bound and there maybe additional screening at the gate. Some airlines like Vietnam Airlines will deny boarding at the gate if you show up within 25 minutes of departure.

Changi is one of the top airports in the world, there will be plenty of things to do,like checking out the butterfly garden.

Well you better do some checking, you are going to one of the largest Airports in the world, and you seem hellbent on trying to miss your flight.The advice given on this thread is right, ignore it at your peril

Well you better do some checking, you are going to one of the largest Airports in the world, and you seem hellbent on trying to miss your flight.The advice given on this thread is right, ignore it at your peril
If it's being given by people who can earnestly say things like "Changi is a busy airport, if there are 4-6 jumbos leaving about the same time immigration/security will be busy", I do wonder how well they really know SIN and how much they really know about how (and how well) Changi works.

I mean, when doesn't Changi have "4-6 jumbos" (and more) leaving at about the same time?

I think that two hours beforehand at SIN would be plenty of time for someone who doesn't like hanging around at airports.

If it's being given by people who can earnestly say things like "Changi is a busy airport, if there are 4-6 jumbos leaving about the same time immigration/security will be busy", I do wonder how well they really know SIN and how much they really know about how (and how well) Changi works.

I mean, when doesn't Changi have "4-6 jumbos" (and more) leaving at about the same time?

I think that two hours beforehand at SIN would be plenty of time for someone who doesn't like hanging around at airports.

Thanks...I agree. Having worked in the airline industry for almost 30 years, I know most airports want to advise more time than necessary to allow for the inexperienced traveler. I'm sure 2 hours is plenty. Doubt I want to visit the butterfly garden at 5am...:-) Thanks!

Thanks...I agree. Having worked in the airline industry for almost 30 years, I know most airports want to advise more time than necessary to allow for the inexperienced traveler. I'm sure 2 hours is plenty. Doubt I want to visit the butterfly garden at 5am...:-) Thanks!

Went there one night and there were no butterflies, then I realised it was 10 pm, they were asleep, same as my brain after flying 10 hours, 3 hour transit time and then 7 1/2 hour flight home. Did get there one other time and it was interesting. I prefer the orchid garden or the cactus garden.