Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Newark Airport

buggins0402

I will be cancelling some flights for trip that was supposed to be next week. One was a paid flight on UA. I’m thinking I might be able to salvage some value out of the tickets if I do a change and use it for a flight after our cruise in August (if UA doesn’t hammer the change fees too hard). The problem is UA only flies non stop to DTW from Newark.

Question...how much aggravation factor does Newark add, as opposed to LGA? There appears to be a shuttle from the port to Newark. Anyone with experience on the shuttle? What would be a comfortable time to look for flights taking into account the travel time from the Manhattan terminal?

As a side note, the other flights I cancelled were FF’s on American and Delta. American charged a redeposit fee for the miles, but the miles are already back into the account. I also put in a request for refund on the website for premium seat fees that I had paid, but I don’t know if I’ll have any luck there. Delta said they would waive the redeposit fee and asked for our physician’s number. I don’t know if they’ll actually call. Miles have not yet reinstated.

Friends used Dial7 after our Insignia cruise this past August. They weren’t flying but their car was at a hotel by EWR. They thought service was good and reasonable. We were the only ship disembarking so it was not super crazy but it was the Thursday before Labor Day. You probably need to look to see how many ships are in port that day that are embarking and disembarking plus what day of the week. On embarkation day (a Sunday)there were two mega ships and the Insignia. It took a long time at the port as there were many cars, cabs, and limos. I would probably look for flights early afternoon. I always like more time so I don’t stress.

Check on the East Coast Departure board as well.

Hope you can get things worked out.

Patty

A much easier trip from EWR to Manhattan than from LGA. Newark should not take much more than 30 or 40 min. and LGA is a mess to get out of before you even reach the highway. Also the cruise terminal is on the west side not too far from the tunnel. Good luck.

A much easier trip from EWR to Manhattan than from LGA. Newark should not take much more than 30 or 40 min. and LGA is a mess to get out of before you even reach the highway. Also the cruise terminal is on the west side not too far from the tunnel. Good luck.

+1 EWR access is much better than LGA. LGA could take hours and many ppl end up bailing out of cabs and walking the last 1/2 mile.

Thanks all...this does help. It sounds like Newark will be worth the extra transport cost. Come to think of it, I once booked a DTW-LGA-JFK-Brussels. It was a rainy Friday afternoon when we landed at LGA and despite 4 hours between landing and getting to JFK, we missed the flight to Brussels. Traffic was horrid.

I think I’ll look at the mid afternoon flights in case the ship is delayed. Now hopefully United won’t charge an arm and a leg for a change fee. I haven’t checked the number of ships in port, but it is a mid week date, so that might help.

Further to the review how the various airlines are handling the cancellations ... AA refunded the upgrade fees already and still waiting to see the DL miles back into my account.

Thanks all...this does help. It sounds like Newark will be worth the extra transport cost. Come to think of it, I once booked a DTW-LGA-JFK-Brussels. It was a rainy Friday afternoon when we landed at LGA and despite 4 hours between landing and getting to JFK, we missed the flight to Brussels. Traffic was horrid.

I think I’ll look at the mid afternoon flights in case the ship is delayed. Now hopefully United won’t charge an arm and a leg for a change fee. I haven’t checked the number of ships in port, but it is a mid week date, so that might help.

Further to the review how the various airlines are handling the cancellations ... AA refunded the upgrade fees already and still waiting to see the DL miles back into my account.

Uber is very good at Newark and should not cost any more or maybe a little than from LGA. Have a great cruise.

We've had great experience with Dial 7 car service, many times. And as others have written, from the Manhattan terminal, the ride to Newark Airport is much shorter and quicker than the ride to LGA.

We've had great experience with Dial 7 car service, many times. And as others have written, from the Manhattan terminal, the ride to Newark Airport is much shorter and quicker than the ride to LGA.

Thanks, I will look Dial 7 up. Booked a 2:30 flight on UA out of Newark to use what was left of our ticket values (not much after $100 change fee per ticket).

DL ended up winning my ticket cancellation contest. No fees, miles redeposited, and taxes credited. AA came in second...with only $175 in redeposit fees, taxes credited, and upgrade fees returned. UA came in last ...but that was a cancellation of a paid ticket on a code share, so it probably isn’t fair to compare.