FCC Expiring

2552phxcrzr

I have an FCC that I need to use for a cruise booked by March this year and taken by March next year. 2019 plans are already in place, so we booked a cruise that works with this year's existing plans.

Here's the problem ... it's a good problem to have, but I'd like to see if anyone has had a similar one and how they handled it. We'll be talking to O, of course, but being informed before making the call is always a good thing ;)

Using round numbers to make the example easy ...

Total fare with air included is $13,500

Total fare without air is $11,500

FCC is $10,000 -- $5000pp (which we will apply before final payment in May)

The cruise is considered a GV and has a $3,000 deposit

So far so good.

If we opt out of O air, the balance due after the deposit is paid will be less than the FCC ... $8,500.

Will O refund the $1,500 difference? Will they give it to us as OBC? Do we lose the $1,500 overage from the FCC?

Is it possible to apply only one of the FCC's and keep the other for another cruise? I'm asking the question, but it might be a moot point in this instance since there is a March 2018 deadline for using the FCC and our plans are such that I am unable to book another cruise that will fit into our timeline. Another option would be to upgrade to a higher category cabin, but I really don't want to lose the extended veranda ... that is more important to me than actual cabin space.

Another question. Since the FCC has a March 2018 deadline, would I need to advise O prior to the deadline, or is it enough that I have the cruise booked prior to the deadline?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'm confused about Oceania's FCC.

On Princess, you buy an FCC for $100 each. It is valid for 2 years; if not used by then, the $100 is refunded. The FCC is used as the deposit for a future cruise (instead of paying the usual deposit, but can't be used for a world cruise deposit) and some amount of OBC is given for the cruise you book using the FCC as the deposit. The amount of OBC is determined by the length of the cruise. The FCC can only be purchased onboard, but can be used as a deposit anytime for the next 2 years.

So....is this done the same way on Oceania? If not, can someone explain how it works on O, please?

I'm confused about Oceania's FCC.

On Princess, you buy an FCC for $100 each. It is valid for 2 years; if not used by then, the $100 is refunded. The FCC is used as the deposit for a future cruise (instead of paying the usual deposit, but can't be used for a world cruise deposit) and some amount of OBC is given for the cruise you book using the FCC as the deposit. The amount of OBC is determined by the length of the cruise. The FCC can only be purchased onboard, but can be used as a deposit anytime for the next 2 years.

So....is this done the same way on Oceania? If not, can someone explain how it works on O, please?

There is a similar O FCC to what you describe, don’t remember to details off hand, but we’ve bought and used them for deposits. This was an FCC issued to us by O for some ship-related issues we experienced on the RTW that could not be resolved. It’s got a 1 year deadline on it ... not unlike FCC’s issued by Celebrity for an onboard problem or critical problems, such as for serious port changes/cancelations due to thruster issues.

You need to discuss this directly with O or via your TA.

Presume you have a FCC for a cancelled cruise or incident, which have specific terms unique to the incident. We had one for the Insignia fire which had specific dates of usage and other terms. We had to use the entire amount at once.

The other FCC is the one you purchase on board which has a $1500 value and is valid for 2 years and is refundable anytime during the 2 year period.

The other FCC is the one you purchase on board which has a $1500 value and is valid for 2 years and is refundable anytime during the 2 year period.

Do you actually pay $1,500 for it? Is this as a deposit? What perks does it come with? If none, then what's the point of it?

This was an FCC issued to us by O for some ship-related issues we experienced on the RTW that could not be resolved. It’s got a 1 year deadline on it ....

Princess has something similar, but they call it Goodwill credit. I got a large amount of it after we had a fire on a ship. The next cruise had to be booked by a year later.

Paul's post # 4 in this thread is spot on.

Oceania did not offer Future Cruise Credits in this form prior to the merger, and the Norwegian version (if they are adopting that model) have rather stern restrictions upon expiration.

Oceania credits which were issued to make up for specific "incidents", as Paul pointed out, ALWAYS carry with them rules and regulations specific to the original circumstance.

To avoid disappointment, DON'T ASSUME, look to your source material.

Do you actually pay $1,500 for it? Is this as a deposit? What perks does it come with? If none, then what's the point of it?

Yes it acts as the deposit when you apply it to a specific booking during the 2 year period. The other advantage is that it gets you the same booking onboard discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is definitely a higher amount than what Princess and Celebrity charge, but the one we bought had a slightly lower amount compared to actual deposit amount ... $700pp rather than $750pp. We applied it to a cruise that had a $750pp deposit and we didn't pay anything extra.

For us, the amount isn't so critical -- we buy these FCD[eposit]s only when the cruise we want has not yet been opened for booking. Whether we pay a lower deposit now or later, eventually we are going to have to pay the entire cruise fare at some point anyway. True, the cruise line has our money until we use the FCD ... so be it ... their cruise line, their rules.

The FCD, from what I recall, came with some extra OBC ... small amount that we had applied to the cruise we were on when we bought the FCC and it came with the onboard booking discount that would not have otherwise been possible because the itinerary was not open for booking.

Paul's post # 4 in this thread is spot on.

Oceania did not offer Future Cruise Credits in this form prior to the merger, and the Norwegian version (if they are adopting that model) have rather stern restrictions upon expiration.

Oceania credits which were issued to make up for specific "incidents", as Paul pointed out, ALWAYS carry with them rules and regulations specific to the original circumstance.

To avoid disappointment, DON'T ASSUME, look to your source material.

Aware of the restrictions, so not assuming ;-) I have an email into O and will follow up with phone call if necessary. I was essentially curious if someone had used an FCC (for an incident) that was higher than the potential final payment and how it was handled. I can't imagine this happens all that often, but I could be wrong. We'll see what O has to say ... my alternative would be to apply the FCC now and pay off the minimal remaining amount so the cruise is paid off in full.