Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

This is a nice tracking site, avidesiurc. The Scenic Jewel signalled 18 minutes ago near St. Goarshausen so as I write she is approaching the bend of Loreley rock! She is well on her way of making it through the Rhine gorge and then into the Upper Rhine valley tomorrow (if she stops at Rüdesheim tonight). Looking really good. According to marinetraffic the Crystal Debussy is awaiting her passengers in Lahnstein and the Viking Hild is sailing through the gorge as well! Her signalling stopped as she is going through the narrow hilly valley but you can probably pick it up around Rüdesheim later today.

More rain forecast for Konstanz (Lake Constance), the Rhine valley, the Black Forest and the Neckar valley tomorrow!

notamermaid

Thanks for the site specific to Scenic ships. I, like you Notamermaid, have just looked and am really cheered that Scenic jewel is approaching Lorelei.

I emailed Cruise mapper to ask why the last given position for Jewel was 02.02UTC and got a swift reply to say that they collect data from stations along the coast and some inland revivers are out of range. I asked whether the south end of the Rhine Gorge would be in range but they couldn't say. At least this explains why for a week I have been unable to "see" any ships in the Gorge! What lot of stressing I could have saved had I known about the Scenic site:rolleyes:

Yep, the Rhine gorge is a bit distressing as regards signals. Upstream from Koblenz minimum I find is two lost hours, three to five is standard, a few even disappear for half a day (strangely). They often come back signalling when docking Rüdesheim. Downstream is a little different where the signal is lost, but it is usually also several hours.

When looking at this photo courtesy of wikipedia one can understand why signals might not work: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Aussicht_vom_Spitznack.jpg

Edit: if you would like to know where the photo was taken, you can put the words Aussichtspunkt Spitznack into google maps. I have just tried and it worked with me.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

Hi All esp those sailing with Viking on the Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel

We sailed yesterday and hope that we can manage the 8 day journey to Basel on the same ship the Lofn.

We were told that the water level in certain parts of the Rhine is only 12 inches which is the minimum for ships to pass so if that doesnt improve there will be a ship swap.

So keep fingers crossd fir us and all those sailing after us.

Also check the Port of Amsterdam website before you embark to see where your ship will be berthed.

We found out weeks before that the Lofn was to be berthed in Coenhaven Westerhoofd and asked Viking in aAustralia about the location as they informd us in our booklet that the ship would be in the usual location near the central train station. They couldnt enlighten us about Coenhaven so we emailed the ship and were told that yes it would be berthed in Coenhaven and we had to take a taxi. After we landed in Amsterdam we calld the ship to ask what we should tell the taxi driver as Coenhaven is in a remoter part of the port . We were then reluctantly told that there is actually a Viking shuttle which takes passengers from the area bear the centeal station (de ruijterkade ) to thecship docked in Coenhaven . The company doesnt broadcast this as they want to avoid having too many people with suitcases who are embarking as the shuttle is mainly for passengers wanting to get from the ship to the town centre and back

So just be informed that there is a shuttle . If we gadnt called the ship direct we would have had to taxi there

So it pays to find out where your shipnis docked

Bon Voyage!

Good morning from an overcast, slightly cool Rhine valley. It is currently raining in the Upper Rhine valley, around Basel and Strasbourg and clouds are sweeping into the Black Forest bringing rain into the hills. That is good as we will get that back (tomorrow) in the Rhine river.

Yes, the river levels haven risen. Maxau is at 393cm, Koblenz struggling a bit with a fall overnight but back at 79cm now. The levels downstream also look more pleasant. I think that shipwreck at Emmerich might disappear again soon...

As for Kaub: I do not know what they do in the Rhine gorge, but perhaps the people just cannot help it, they are not to blame. The level is at 72cm having fallen since yesterday. It is a mystery to me where the water goes. I have been wondering if there is a giant thirsty snake underneath the rocks somewhere gobbling it all up. Oh, perhaps I have just created a new legend. ;) Alternatively and more mundanely, it is just a big hole, like I have been told is in my handbag. :D

russandcheryl, the Viking Alruna has moved since yesterday and is currently, 10:25am local time, in Breisach.

WST, thank you for the info on Amsterdam. It is indeed still tight in the Rhine gorge. Rain is coming, so there is a good chance for the Lofn to make it through. Fingers crossed for you, or we say actually: Daumen drücken! Pressing thumbs.

notamermaid

I’m currently on the Avalon Felicity, started in Basel on the Affinity but had to do a ship swap yesterday. We did the Rhine Gorge yesterday on a pleasure boat as the Affinity couldn’t make it through. We saw a couple of cruisers on our way through. One was a Viking and can’t remember what the other one was. We were in Cologne this morning and our guide told us she could walk across the Rhine now, she was fairly tall though. ;^)

Good morning from an overcast, slightly cool Rhine valley. It is currently raining in the Upper Rhine valley, around Basel and Strasbourg and clouds are sweeping into the Black Forest bringing rain into the hills. That is good as we will get that back (tomorrow) in the Rhine river.

Yes, the river levels haven risen. Maxau is at 393cm, Koblenz struggling a bit with a fall overnight but back at 79cm now. The levels downstream also look more pleasant. I think that shipwreck at Emmerich might disappear again soon...

As for Kaub: I do not know what they do in the Rhine gorge, but perhaps the people just cannot help it, they are not to blame. The level is at 72cm having fallen since yesterday. It is a mystery to me where the water goes. I have been wondering if there is a giant thirsty snake underneath the rocks somewhere gobbling it all up. Oh, perhaps I have just created a new legend. ;) Alternatively and more mundanely, it is just a big hole, like I have been told is in my handbag. :D

russandcheryl, the Viking Alruna has moved since yesterday and is currently, 10:25am local time, in Breisach.

WST, thank you for the info on Amsterdam. It is indeed still tight in the Rhine gorge. Rain is coming, so there is a good chance for the Lofn to make it through. Fingers crossed for you, or we say actually: Daumen drücken! Pressing thumbs.

notamermaid

Thank you notamermaid ... We appreciate all your info 👏

The good news first: the river level at Maxau has risen to 390cm overnight again. The bad news: today will see some nervous captains probably as the levels in the Rhine gorge have dropped, Kaub is at 64cm. Koblenz, which is just after the Rhine gorge officially, has likewise lost some water, at 61cm now. However, this is temporary till all the rain from yesterday, today and tomorrow has reached that area.

Rain is forecast for the area around Lake Constance for today, the Middle Rhine valley is bathed in sunshine this morning. Day after tomorrow will see a good rise in water levels at Maxau, Kaub and Koblenz. It is looking promising for next week.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
correction

Thanks yet again for good cheer, Notamermaid

We haven’t heard anything negative from Scenic so with your encouraging news we are bracing ourselves for a 5am pickup from home to Edinburgh airport on Monday.

The Jewel looks safe and sound at Mannheim although the bowcam pictures show that a long bow line is needed - and maybe crampons for getting ashore!

However, after a restless couple weeks of Rhine water level watching, we are now looking forward to a relaxing trip from Basel to Amsterdam.

Will post if I can.

Kind regards

Anne

Notamermaid, I have been following along on this thread and other sources of info and “watching” the Rhine rise and fall daily. We are arriving in Zurich on Sept 15 and boarding the Hild in Basel on Sept 17. Thank you for all your research and reports on the weather and all your additional interesting side notes. I am German born in Lamspringe after WWII, my mother having fled the Russians and Poles from Oberschlesien while my Father was POW in the US. We came to US as Displaced Persons when I was 5 and twin brothers were 2 1/2, settling in California. The reason I tell this story is because of my still very strong connection to Germany and some of your comments have stirred up more feelings and memories not connected to river cruising and I thank you for that. When you mentioned the locations of the rivers levels I saw my Vati’s name, Emmerich, and he has been gone now for 30 years on Aug 22. Made my heart flutter a little. And several posts ago you mentioned “Daumen drücken,” which expression my Mutti often used...she is still alive at age almost 99. So, water levels included, I have appreciated all your words and appreciate what you have contributed to my upcoming first time river cruise experience! And for all other followers for whom this is TMI, sorry about that but I couldn’t help myself.....

Notamermaid, I have been following along on this thread and other sources of info and “watching” the Rhine rise and fall daily. We are arriving in Zurich on Sept 15 and boarding the Hild in Basel on Sept 17. Thank you for all your research and reports on the weather and all your additional interesting side notes. I am German born in Lamspringe after WWII, my mother having fled the Russians and Poles from Oberschlesien while my Father was POW in the US. We came to US as Displaced Persons when I was 5 and twin brothers were 2 1/2, settling in California. The reason I tell this story is because of my still very strong connection to Germany and some of your comments have stirred up more feelings and memories not connected to river cruising and I thank you for that. When you mentioned the locations of the rivers levels I saw my Vati’s name, Emmerich, and he has been gone now for 30 years on Aug 22. Made my heart flutter a little. And several posts ago you mentioned “Daumen drücken,” which expression my Mutti often used...she is still alive at age almost 99. So, water levels included, I have appreciated all your words and appreciate what you have contributed to my upcoming first time river cruise experience! And for all other followers for whom this is TMI, sorry about that but I couldn’t help myself.....

Well it is not too much TMI for me. I love your story and thank you for sharing with the CC family. Enjoy your cruise.

Wannawander

I love your story too. Have a wonderful time on your trip. We will hopefully be boarding Scenic Jewel on Sept. 3rd Basel to Amsterdam. Leaving shortly for the airport in Toronto to Zurich. I’ll report on conditions once we board. Thanks again to all for your helpful posts.

Colleen

Wannawander

I love your story too. Have a wonderful time on your trip. We will hopefully be boarding Scenic Jewel on Sept. 3rd Basel to Amsterdam. Leaving shortly for the airport in Toronto to Zurich. I’ll report on conditions once we board. Thanks again to all for your helpful posts.

Colleen

Thanks for the offer to report conditions. Have a safe flight and amazing time!

Wannawander, welcome "home". Hoping that your cruise will be a trip down memory lane. to be remembered with relish.

Thank you for sharing your story. We are supposed to board the Hild in Trier on the 24th. Have a great cruise & let’s hope the rains continue. Also a huge thank you to Notamermaid for keeping us posted.

Edited by Norvig
Misspell

My wife and I will also be on the Opal on the 5th. It is looking much better than a week ago. It appears the she is docked in Bingen right now after sailing through the rhine gorge today.

My wife and I are scheduled to be on the Viking Mani on Sept 7th for an Amsterdam to Basel cruise on the Rhine. At this point it looks like the Mani is mispositioned due to the itinerary modifications that Viking has had to make. Hopefully, the rains will continue enough to allow things to start to get back to normal. But we would like some sunshine during our cruise.

We appreciate the updates on Rhine water levels and itinerary impacts that this thread provides.

Yes, it does seem like things are improving.

We are scheduled on Scenic Jewel departing Amsterdam on Sept. 10. Yesterday, on the Scenic Sailing Conditions website, our cruise was listed as one that might have itinerary changes.

But today the website looks like this:

"Rhine River

The Rhine River is currently experiencing low water levels. Guests will be contacted individually if deviations from the standard itinerary become necessary.

Rhine Highlights: August 27, 29; September 3, 5, 2018

Romantic Rhine and Moselle: September 5, 2018"

The cruise on the 10th has been removed! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those on the Sept. 3rd and 5th cruises. I hope all goes smoothly.

Just a quick hello to you all. River levels looking really promising at Maxau.

Boswalls and candf, you are both writing about the Scenic Jewel, sounds like you will be on the same trip from Monday. Bon voyage!

notamermaid

Thanks again, Notamermaid. Can’t tell you how comforting and encouraging your posts have been over the last 2 weeks.

Today we’ll start to pack!

Kindest regards

Anne

Are you doing the Paris to Swiss Alps (reverse order)? We are doing that in early October, Paris to Zurich. Would love to hear about it when you get back. TIA