Unlimited Internet

ellie84

Am from the UK! Sailing on Celebrity Constellation to Middle East/India in March. Interested In pre-purchasing the unlimited internet package. Anyone who has done this or knows the answer, please could you tell me whether:

a) it’s worth the money?

b) exactly how it works?

c) do you literally buy the package and then there are no other costs, you can then just use the internet on your device exactly when you want to?

d) can you use it on multiple devices?

e) how does it compare to phone provider costs/services at Sea??

Thank you in advance :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've done this many times on RCI ships in the Caribbean, Middle East and Far East and I've got a Celebrity cruise booked for next year. From what I gather they're both very similar which is not unexpected considering they both belong to the same company. From my experience on RCI ships:

a. Definitely not worth the money, quite overpriced but it is convenient to have internet access and to use WhatsApp to chat to family by voice and video back home (I need a regular grandchildren fix!). I also upload daily info and pics to Facebook.

b. If you purchase it pre cruise which we do (often cheaper than onboard), when you check in at the pier you're given a card with a code on when given your boarding card which you use to log on to the ship's wifi. Instructions are with it, very easy.

c. The unlimited internet doesn't come with any other unexpected charges. While on board I just stay logged on. Sometimes it disconnects you after a while but you just log back on.

d. If you buy the single use package you can only use it on one device at a time. If my husband wants to use it, I just log off from phone or tablet and then he logs on to his device using the same code.

e. There's no other option really for us Brits. You have to be careful outside of Europe if you don't have a ship's internet package. Out at sea the only signal that your device will pick up if your data roaming is on, is the ships which is mega expensive for pay-as-you-go.

You could use free wifi in shops, bars, restaurants etc when ashore and not bother with paying for the ship's wifi, but I like sitting on the balcony in the early morning or late at night browsing the internet. My husband also likes to follow real time football.

We're both Diamond members of RCI so we get a small amount of free internet as a perk. My husband uses that until it runs out.

Hope this helps!

Am from the UK! Sailing on Celebrity Constellation to Middle East/India in March. Interested In pre-purchasing the unlimited internet package. Anyone who has done this or knows the answer, please could you tell me whether:

We sailed on Connie for 10 days last summer and had the unlimited internet package.

a) it’s worth the money? It was a perk included in our deal. Only you can judge how much you will use it and the value to you.

b) exactly how it works? You get a username and PW. Generally it works OK across the ship but it will not set speed records! On Sea Days, a lot of users results in slow connect and response times.

c) do you literally buy the package and then there are no other costs, you can then just use the internet on your device exactly when you want to? No other costs. You can use multiple devices. However, only one device can be logged in at a time.

e) how does it compare to phone provider costs/services at Sea?? We set up WiFi Calling on our cell phones. This allows free texts and phone calls - but we had a US-based carrier. Not sure if you can do this with your UK carrier. If so- well worth it!

I hope this helps!

a) it’s worth the money?

b) exactly how it works?

c) do you literally buy the package and then there are no other costs, you can then just use the internet on your device exactly when you want to?

e) how does it compare to phone provider costs/services at Sea??

a) Subjective. Yes, if you feel the need to stay connected. I found it to be reasonably fast in Alaska, have not used in ME/I.

b) Once signed in via initial web-browser page, you have access to internet as you normally would at home.

c) Yes. Pay once and done.

d) Yes, but only one device at a time unless you buy multiple packages.

e) Not sure, as that depends on your specific wireless carrier and roaming plan. However, the likelihood of receiving a cell signal when out at sea is low unless the ship is close to shore/cell tower. 99% of the time the ship's internet service is the only one available when at sea.

Thank you so much to those that answered my WiFi question, much appreciated! So the price on my cruise planner on Celebrity website, is that the starting price (as in before Captain Club level discount, and the prevailing extra discount has been applied)?? Or is that price with those 2 discounts automatically applied?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums