Cruise Norway

water-rat

There doesn't seem to be a good place to ask this question so am asking it here since NCL is only line I've cruised with so far.

My question is this: Does anyone know anything about the cruises that go along the coast of Norway? Do any of the major cruise lines do so?

I've looked at cruisenorway.com and am having them send me a brochure, but I'm hoping for some information from someone who's had first hand experience.

Thanks. Oh--might there be a message board somewhere for Norway coastal cruises that I just haven't found yet?

We did the Norwegian Coastal cruise several years ago (7-00), on Nordnorge, which at the time was one of the newer ships on that run.

We enjoyed the trip from Kirkenes to Bergen very much.

You can find some information under "Other Cruise Lines", Cruise Critic.

Princess has a nice 14-day Norwegian itinerary on the Sea Princess for next June, round trip from London.

Norwegian Coastal would be on the "Other Cruise Lines" forum.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

We had a fabulous cruise to Norway in June 2004 on Holland America's Westerdam. The midnight sun north of the Arctic circle is unbelievable, and the scenery is very dramatic. Be sure to choose a cruise that makes several stops in Norway, not just the city of Oslo. Trondheim, Flam, Geirangerfjord, Bergen, and Stavanger were all fantastic ports.

Celebrity sends the Constellation on one per summer...We did it this past July...But it's a bit more than just Norway...14 nights...Dover to Le Havre to Cork to Dublin to Belfast to Glasgow to Olden to Geiranger to Bergen to Copenhagen and back to Dover...We really enjoyed it...

Crystal does the North Cape cruise once a year in late June. Go to the crystalcruises.com web site and pull down destinations -- it is under Northern Europe. It was our all time favorite cruise. Besides Oslo, we went to the North Cape, Trondheim, Tromso, Flam, Geiranger, and Stavanger. All the ports were beautiful with waterfalls and clean, clear lakes. Our cruise also ported in Antwerp, Belgium.

The Norway cruise to do if you can only do one, is to the North Cape via Norways inside passage between mainland & Lofoten Is. None of the cruise lines mentioned (except the Nordnorge) have ships small enough to get along the inside passage as there are 3 bridges across to the Lofoton Is. Fred Olsen is a smaller operator mainly for UK market but always gets about 35/40 US passengers on this trip. 2 ships are ex Royal Viking line with several modifications recently. We did this cruise on F O's Black Watch a few years ago & it was a superb experience. Believe me inside passage Vancouver-Alaska has nothing on Norways inside passage! Look at fredolsencruises.com for details. I understand many years ago they had a well respected TA set up in USA & are well thought of in UK but you will get a slightly older passenger than in typical Caribbean boats.

Waterrat - Here's our review of the NCV 17 day Grand Norway we took in May of this year.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189561

Here's the Norwegian Coastal Voyage site.

http://www.coastalvoyage.com/millennium_ships.shtml

And here's the Grand Norway info.

http://www.coastalvoyage.com/independent.shtml

We would take this cruise again anytime. May was a good time to go as it was the last of the reasonably priced trips, the weather was mostly good (cold, but then we have lived in Florida for 9 years), and it was 24 hour sunshine above the Arctic Circle. This trip and our trip to China in 2002 have been the 2 best trips we have taken, by far.

21 big ship cruises (including Crystal and the QM2), China, Norway, Danube River cruise just 2 weeks ago and various trips around the US.

I'll try to answer any questions at thirdparty@tampabay.rr.com

Archived