New to NCL / Question about Cuba

CruisingNole

I see the Sun is sailing out of Port Canveral to Cuba for $389 interior in August. Total for 2 adults with gratuity is around $1,200 and includes alcohol. This is a very low price point and I live in the area, so I'm obviously attracted to it. I have been on two cruises prior, both RCI Oasis class ships, so I'm well aware the Sun is going to be a different experience. The price just seems too good to be true with open bar included. To those who have sailed RCI Oasis class with the unlimited alcohol package, how would you compare the whole experience to the Sun?

The Oasis class ships on Royal are newer and bigger - NCL Sun is a smaller and older ship with less amenities so it would be like comparing apples and oranges. I've never been on the Sun but my research indicates that it is clean and service is good. NCl's alcohol package only includes soda and alcohol up to $ 15. It doesn't include bottled water, premium coffees or fresh juices like Royal's does but hey you're not charged on the Sun and that's a good deal. Sun will start the Cuba route in May - there is a demand for travel to Cuba so there will be 2 NCL ships on the Cuba route. We wanted to go to Cuba and booked NCl's Sun over the Empress of the Seas which is doing the same route. The Sun will go to dry dock for two weeks in April for refurbishment so that helped us with our decision too.

The Oasis class ships on Royal are newer and bigger - NCL Sun is a smaller and older ship with less amenities so it would be like comparing apples and oranges. I've never been on the Sun but my research indicates that it is clean and service is good. NCl's alcohol package only includes soda and alcohol up to $ 15. It doesn't include bottled water, premium coffees or fresh juices like Royal's does but hey you're not charged on the Sun and that's a good deal. Sun will start the Cuba route in May - there is a demand for travel to Cuba so there will be 2 NCL ships on the Cuba route. We wanted to go to Cuba and booked NCl's Sun over the Empress of the Seas which is doing the same route. The Sun will go to dry dock for two weeks in April for refurbishment so that helped us with our decision too.

Thank you for the feedback. I've read some really mixed reviews about the Sun. Apparently it was on dry dock in 2016 but recent reviews I've read indicate whatever improvements were made were minimal. Any idea what kind of refurbishments are planned for 2018? I did a search but can't find specific details.

Another reason I'm leaning towards Sun is that I live about 45 min drive from the port and Port Canaveral is really easy to get in and out of. RCI's Cuba sailings are out of Tampa, which isn't that much further (2 hours) but it's an unpleasant drive. I'm usually up late the last night at sea so the convenience of a smooth drive home that next morning really provides value to me. I've also read some not-so-hot reviews about the port in Tampa. Any experience yourself?

What date did you choose for Cuba and what rate were you able to get? I've just started monitoring prices this week.

Thank you for the feedback. I've read some really mixed reviews about the Sun. Apparently it was on dry dock in 2016 but recent reviews I've read indicate whatever improvements were made were minimal. Any idea what kind of refurbishments are planned for 2018? I did a search but can't find specific details.

Another reason I'm leaning towards Sun is that I live about 45 min drive from the port and Port Canaveral is really easy to get in and out of. RCI's Cuba sailings are out of Tampa, which isn't that much further (2 hours) but it's an unpleasant drive. I'm usually up late the last night at sea so the convenience of a smooth drive home that next morning really provides value to me. I've also read some not-so-hot reviews about the port in Tampa. Any experience yourself?

What date did you choose for Cuba and what rate were you able to get? I've just started monitoring prices this week.

Sun will go into dry dock - I confirmed with NCL when I saw that it wasn't sailing 2 weeks in April. I don't know what changes they will make and the guy I talked to was not sure.

Until 2016, we were avid Royal cruisers. Because of desire for different itineraries and a couple of bad experiences led us to try other cruise lines. We took a Panama Canal cruise on the Jade in Nov and a Western Caribbean on the Escape in Jan. The service was impeccable, the specialty restaurants better and we liked the free style. I'm sure the Sun has some wear and tear as does the Emperor . We picked Sun over the Sky because Sun will go into dry dock this year. I take reviews with a grain of salt. Besides the real purpose of this trip is to see Cuba.

We are going in October - maybe less kids since it's not spring break. Just don't pick Oct 8th week because Oct 10th is a national holiday and most places are closed. We like balcony cabins so it was $879/p

Edited by nednrom

Have been on the Sun twice, both of long itineraries to the Baltic and South America. Absolutely love her and I am very excited about her going to Cuba. Looking at doing one of the early May voyages.

Just think about how much $$$$ you will be saving.

Sun will go into dry dock - I confirmed with NCL when I saw that it wasn't sailing 2 weeks in April. I don't know what changes they will make and the guy I talked to was not sure.

Until 2016, we were avid Royal cruisers. Because of desire for different itineraries and a couple of bad experiences led us to try other cruise lines. We took a Panama Canal cruise on the Jade in Nov and a Western Caribbean on the Escape in Jan. The service was impeccable, the specialty restaurants better and we liked the free style. I'm sure the Sun has some wear and tear as does the Emperor . We picked Sun over the Sky because Sun will go into dry dock this year. I take reviews with a grain of salt. Besides the real purpose of this trip is to see Cuba.

We are going in October - maybe less kids since it's not spring break. Just don't pick Oct 8th week because Oct 10th is a national holiday and most places are closed. We like balcony cabins so it was $879/p

Thanks again for the info. You make some great points. Have you picked a tour yet? In my experience with RCI, you're better off selecting a highly rated provider via trip advisor as opposed through the cruise as it's always cheaper and just as good quality, if not better. Are you going with someone through NCL or elsewhere?

In my experience with RCI, you're better off selecting a highly rated provider via trip advisor as opposed through the cruise as it's always cheaper and just as good quality, if not better. ?

Under the recent US OFAC rules for travel to Cuba, you need to take OFAC compliant excursions with no $ going to the Cuban government. Check out the Cuba ports of call board for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks again for the info. You make some great points. Have you picked a tour yet? In my experience with RCI, you're better off selecting a highly rated provider via trip advisor as opposed through the cruise as it's always cheaper and just as good quality, if not better. Are you going with someone through NCL or elsewhere?

I have a private tour arranged for us for much cheaper 330CUC for 4 people for the whole day for walking/car combo tour with 2 classic convertible cars. I think NCL charges $200 p/p for a4 hr tour. Fertours came highly recommended and has very good reviews.

Under the recent US OFAC rules for travel to Cuba, you need to take OFAC compliant excursions with no $ going to the Cuban government. Check out the Cuba ports of call board for more info.

Yes this is important. There are just a few local companies who are familiar with that. Herdingmom, have you been there?

Yes this is important. There are just a few local companies who are familiar with that. Herdingmom, have you been there?

Yes, we were there in August on the Sky. It was before the new rules were written so we were able to book a classic car all day tour directly with a local provider. It was a fantastic tour but they do not have the US sponsorship the current OFAC rules require. Have a great cruise.

Probably such a good price because the ship is going to Cuba of all places lol

Every thread I'm reading about cruises to Cuba has some snide comment from you. Did you have the runs from a bad Cuban sandwich, or are you just a miserable person? Someone's choice in vacation destination sure is an odd thing to obsess over. Lighten up, hombre.

The Sun is going into dry dock in early April in Seattle. Refurbishment will include but is not limited to replacing mattresses, bedding, soft goods in all cabins. I’m booked on the 4/19 cruise from Seattle to Port Orlando and am certainly not complaining about virgin bedding, pillows etc, especially after this flu season.

I have a private tour arranged for us for much cheaper 330CUC for 4 people for the whole day for walking/car combo tour with 2 classic convertible cars. I think NCL charges $200 p/p for a4 hr tour. Fertours came highly recommended and has very good reviews.

I hope there was no deposit on that private tour. If so, i hope you get a refund. It looks like this will be the trip that never was.