Snorkeling Expert Advice Needed Pretty Please :)

Snuckles

You all are so very kind! Thank you for responding to my request, I've been really stressing about this. Thank you.

Don't stress. The snorkeling at West Bay is very close to the beach and awesome but can get a bit crowded. If you don't like crowds when snorkeling, you might stay away from snorkel tour operators as well.

My sister once snorkeled from West Bay to West End - was out for a while because you can swim the whole way on the reef - but she loved it. Maybe a bit long for a cruise excursion.

If you're concerned about the crowd, reach out instead to one of the dive shops in West End that also drop off snorkelers - Island Diving Center or West End Divers are a few that come to mind. Even if you go out with the boat, you're very close to shore and when you get off the boat, you are in west end, the best place to shop and eat.

Back to West Bay, I don't know this guy but this is a video he did entirely free diving and snorkeling from West Bay

There seems lots of chat about snorkelling, is scuba diving not so popular because you can snorkel instead?

Roatan was put on the map by the world class diving. I think most of the members here talk about snorkeling because it takes less experience, less money and less preparation than diving.

There are several dive shops which take out cruise specific guests

There seems lots of chat about snorkelling, is scuba diving not so popular because you can snorkel instead?

Hi Tinkerbell, are you interested in diving from a cruise in Roatan? Great diving there still. I dove in May from a Carnival cruise. But I really hate the schedules when you book directly with the cruise lines. You get out so late and come back late too. So 3 locations, I booked with the cruise ship - I spent the whole morning waiting in line and getting back just as the cruise is about to leave - no time to shop and certainly no tequila tasting in Cozumel before diving. I know Roatan and booked directly with the dive shop. Got off the ship immediately, met the pickup, dove, then still had time to see the town. Lots of great dive shops in Roatan that do this all the time.

The next cruise I book, I will book all my diving in all locations directly with the dive shops. I won't book through the cruise lines any more.

For people that aren't scuba certified and like to snorkel, the snorkeling from shore in Roatan is amazing. The reef is close to shore and not very deep. I've seen way more coral and sea life there than on my own that with chartered snorkel trips at other locations. So, if you are going to snorkel anywhere - Roatan is the place to do it.

I'm sure the diving there is excellent as well.

Hi Tinkerbell, are you interested in diving from a cruise in Roatan? Great diving there still. I dove in May from a Carnival cruise. But I really hate the schedules when you book directly with the cruise lines. You get out so late and come back late too. So 3 locations, I booked with the cruise ship - I spent the whole morning waiting in line and getting back just as the cruise is about to leave - no time to shop and certainly no tequila tasting in Cozumel before diving. I know Roatan and booked directly with the dive shop. Got off the ship immediately, met the pickup, dove, then still had time to see the town. Lots of great dive shops in Roatan that do this all the time.

The next cruise I book, I will book all my diving in all locations directly with the dive shops. I won't book through the cruise lines any more.

Maybe, but don't know whether to stick with snorkelling because have heard its just as good from the West Bay beach. Do you think the seaweed will cause a problem for snorkelling/diving? Which is best for snorkelling and diving Roatan or Cozumel?

Maybe, but don't know whether to stick with snorkelling because have heard its just as good from the West Bay beach. Do you think the seaweed will cause a problem for snorkelling/diving? Which is best for snorkelling and diving Roatan or Cozumel?

There isn't really a seaweed problem there. The one year I was there when the seaweed was very bad ... it was bad all over the Caribbean.

The snorkeling is great in West Bay. I love this ... although this guy is snorkeling AND free diving. But still - all shot in West Bay.

There isn't really a seaweed problem there. The one year I was there when the seaweed was very bad ... it was bad all over the Caribbean.

The snorkeling is great in West Bay. I love this ... although this guy is snorkeling AND free diving. But still - all shot in West Bay.

Thanks, I saw this already, it looks amazing!