Review: 7-Night Western Cruise on Liberty of the Seas (with 150+ Pictures!)

UMDelt

Liberty of the Seas Review - Continued

COMING UP NEXT:

More stateroom pictures

Thanks for taking the time, I hope to cruise out of Galveston someday and always enjoy seeing Freedom class pictures.

On Freedom and Voyager Class ships, you’re able to access the bow of the ship! No photo collection is complete without a few snapshots of the bridge.

25205338947_1489ba9209_o.jpg

Agreed. So far on three attemps Royal has thwarted my attempts to get to the bow on the Oasis class. I'll be working on doing so on Symphony. (not buying a suite)

Edited by BillOh
This forum software is annoying.

We will be traveling on the LOS less than a year from now (I still eagerly count each day down). I'm definitely going to be having lunch at Sabor now that I've seen those photos! Glad to know I can take some dessert to-go if I fill-up on all the other deliciousness.

I did my first Sabor lunch on Freedom, glad it looks as good here.

We'll be sailing on Liberty in exactly 3 months time, also in a GS! I'd be interested to hear how you found the suite lounge and the concierge.

bearded - allow me to give my two cents. We love the suite lounge on Liberty and Jorge will be the concierge on your sailing. He's great.

UMDelt - great review, keep it up. Sabor is our fave!

Enjoying this review!! We are on the LOS with this same itinerary in July. It will be our first cruise with Royal. We have been on one Disney cruise, and are so excited to be on the Liberty!! Thanks for taking the time to do this, it is appreciated!!

Enjoying this review!! We are on the LOS with this same itinerary in July. It will be our first cruise with Royal. We have been on one Disney cruise, and are so excited to be on the Liberty!! Thanks for taking the time to do this, it is appreciated!!
We'll be on her this Sunday, the 11th in a Grand Suite. Thank you for taking your time out to do this with all the wonderful photographs! :-)

My pleasure! Enjoy your cruises and come back and let me/everyone know how it went!

We too were on this sailing as well as the week before. I agree, Margaret was awesome. We had her 3 nights the week before. Enjoying your review, since we were on there with you!!

She greeting us - BY NAME - every morning in the Windjammer. She truly had that Royal "WOW!"

Thanks for taking the time, I hope to cruise out of Galveston someday and always enjoy seeing Freedom class pictures.

My pleasure, Bill!

Being a life-long Parrot Head, I remember how excited I was to visit a Margaritaville restaurant for the first time. That was several, several years ago. Now, they’re flippin’ everywhere, including 2 of 3 ports we visited this trip!!! They’re the Starbucks of the cruise circuit. But that didn’t stop me from snapping a picture in front of a classic Buffett lyric:

40096916721_b1fd27ee04_o.jpg

For you non-Parrot Heads, this is from the Buffett song, A Pirate Looks At Forty

39385358624_e8b852794b_o.jpg

40096916281_a6a13c6ce0_o.jpg

See those clouds? It was about to POUR

DW and I have been to Cozumel quite a few times - most recently this past March. We booked an excursion, but that didn’t stop her from darting toward the over-priced jewelry once we disembarked the ship. Fortunately, our excursion couldn’t wait for those “priceless” items (the same items that are sold in every store you visit, BTW).

39385359684_a3b1302625_o.jpg

12 Metre America's Cup Challenge… but then again, does a sign need a caption?

The America's Cup Challenge is pretty cool. They’re two racing sailboats from the late 1980s that competed in the actual America’s Cup. The point of the excursion is to race against one another - that simple. Everyone is a member of the crew, so it’s certainly no joy ride - they put you to work! I’ve done this excursion in St. Maarten a few times and it’s always a thrill. Although, it’s a photo-finish each and every time… wonder if it’s rigged. (Pun intended.)

COMING UP NEXT:

12 Metre America's Cup Challenge pictures

I was excited to visit Grand Cayman. I’ve sailed to the Caribbean many times, but this was a new port of call for us. It was also my birthday, so DW promised to do only things I wanted to do… except for shopping. I couldn’t escape shopping on my own birthday. Aw well, “happy wife, happy life” ’n all… :D

39227616395_dd8f8b55a5_o.jpg

Sea salt on our balcony railing

I started my day running on the top deck to enjoy the morning sun. If I had one gripe about Voyager/Freedom class ships, it’s the jogging track. Who thought it would make sense to combine an exercise track and a sun deck with chairs together!? Seriously. Oasis class ships were designed well, having a large track around the promenade (life boat) deck connecting to the gym.

39227618855_1328de3a2c_o.jpg

Sunbathers + Runners = Smart idea?

39227618715_fcd60dd6c3_o.jpg

39227618545_6a0b2605bf_o.jpg

Ladies and gents, the former Legend of the Seas

COMING UP NEXT:

More Grand Cayman pictures

Unlike Cozumel, there’s no dock for cruise ships; passengers must board tenders. Earlier tenders were prioritized based on excursions. We had a relatively early booking, so we were one of the firsts to go ashore.

39227618355_937382d07d_o.jpg

These guys didn’t want to wait for the tender

28346143249_ec1ea85919_o.jpg

Waiting for the tender to fill could take a while, especially if you’re the first onboard. The actual trip to shore was rather quick; only 15 minutes or so. Not too bad at all!

28346142989_2c01b8d7a6_o.jpg

Like any port, they bring cruise passengers to a shopping center. (Go figure, right?) We only had a few minutes before our excursion, but DW was hungry. The only quick food in the immediate area was a hot dog stand. Let’s just say they won’t be handing out “hot dog awards” anytime soon to this establishment, but I guess what would one expect!?

28346143129_e8a2928425_o.jpg

We came all this way… for a hot dog…

I couldn’t help but snap this picture while waiting for our excursion:

39227617785_2a839469cc_o.jpg

Our excursion was fantastic. We went “snuba” diving. It’s a cross between snorkeling and scuba. To describe another way, think of “snuba” as “scuba with training wheels.” You having a breathing apparatus just like scuba, but your tank is floating on raft ~20 feet above the surface. The depth you dive is completely up to you and your comfort zone. Gorgeous fish, lobster, and a large shipwreck were just some of the awesome sights we saw. Unfortunately, my Canon camera isn’t waterproof and I don’t own a GoPro, so no pictures.

39227617515_20740948b0_o.jpg

COMING UP NEXT:

More Grand Cayman pictures

39385358624_e8b852794b_o.jpg

I LOVE this photo! The Triumph was the very first ship my significant other and I sailed together (it was actually our first anniversary we celebrated!). And the LOS is going to be our next ship to celebrate our next big event- my graduation and acceptance to grad school!

It's fun to see them side-by-side like that!

Thank you, this photo really brought a smile to my face this morning!

Also on this Sunday! Did you sign up for the meet and mingle?

Cathy

Yup, sure did Cathy -- can't wait to meet everyone. We also will make a swing by the Solarium bar around 2:30 p.m. on Sunday since some others on here will be hanging out for an informal get together. I'll probably be wearing an Indian Motorcycle shirt of some sort and jeans since it's not supposed to be real warm, and perhaps even raining. :-) I don't care as long as I'm not here in Minneapolis where it's cold and snowy.

I look forward to meeting you!

Diane (and Tom) Yazzie

We had speciality dining reservations later that day, but were eager to try the “Sabor Modern Mexican” restaurant onboard for lunch. Our waiter, Luis, was absolutely fantastic and truly took pride in his work.

Was Sabor's lunch extra price? We haven't tried it yet but might on our April 15th cruise.

The Ump

John

Loved your review. Will be on the ship in May. Question: Did the ship ever feel crowded to you?

We are on Liberty with you on 5/20. We went last year the same week and the pool area can get crowded but that’s about it. Also noticed your name Texas Tennis. Do you play? My whole family plays. My team won USTA 18+ Nationals this last year.

Loved your review. Will be on the ship in May. Question: Did the ship ever feel crowded to you?

Thanks! For the most part, no. There were a handful of expected crowds. Few examples:

• Windjammer (especially when we boarded on day 1 - literally, it was standing room only to eat your food)
  • Sporadic times in the Royal Promenade, especially when there's a jewelry sale and tables are set up in the aisles
  • As mentioned before, pool areas on sea days

But for the most part, it never felt "overcrowded" on the ship at all.