Itinerary opinions Western/Cozumel vs eastern/St Thomas

Alh1978

Hi! I am trying to decide which cruise to book. Same ship (carnival magic) in July. One week does western to Cozumel, grand cayman and mahogany bay maybe Falmouth can’t remember... Other does Eastern to Amber cove, st Thomas, gr turk and San Juan. I have not been to either and would like opinions from people who have been to these places. I am going with my husband and three kids age 7, 9, 10. Nobody is super adventurous and typically enjoy beaches and will be doing a helmet dive which occurs at both itineraries. Any input is appreciated!

Hi! I am trying to decide which cruise to book. Same ship (carnival magic) in July. One week does western to Cozumel, grand cayman and mahogany bay maybe Falmouth can’t remember... Other does Eastern to Amber cove, st Thomas, gr turk and San Juan. I have not been to either and would like opinions from people who have been to these places. I am going with my husband and three kids age 7, 9, 10. Nobody is super adventurous and typically enjoy beaches and will be doing a helmet dive which occurs at both itineraries. Any input is appreciated!

Hi there

You will have a great time with either itinerary. My suggestion is to flip a coin, go on one this year and go on the other the next time. Quite easy.

have a great cruise

They are both good ones, tough choice!

We did mostly beach days on both itineraries. Not that telling you what we did will help you decide, but you never know. (Hubby, two teen/preteen boys and I.) Cozumel we went to Playa Mia: beach and small water park; Grand Cayman (my favorite on this itinerary) we swam with the stingrays and Mahogany Bay was just a beach day (it can get quite crowded). We also stopped at Belize when we did this route and we went cave tubing which is pretty neat!

Amber Cove has a pool right by the ship, we hung out there for a bit and went back on the ship, I wish I had done more research on this port; St. Thomas we went over to Trunk Bay on St. John (my favorite on this itinerary); Grand Turk was yet another beach day at Jack’s Shack and San Juan we walked to one of the forts and explored the area.

Maybe that will give you some ideas🤷*♀️. Either way I believe you will have a great time!

Heidi

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think either itinerary sounds great. Having been around the Caribbean for years with my grand kids, I've got to ask if your kids have every seen a Spanish fort from the 16th century, or a city from that same time frame. What I'm suggesting is visiting the port of San Juan on the eastern itinerary. del Morro and San Cristobal guard the walled city, and are National Monuments, and for kids are just too cool. Check it out online, and ask you kids.

Agree with those who indicate that they are both good. Our first cruise over 25 years ago was on a similar eastern Caribbean itinerary. Our second was on the western. While certainly different from each other, they are both good - especially if you've never done either. Maybe just flip a coin and then plan your second while on board the first for the other. :)

Agreed. Either would be great. I prefer the Eastern Caribbean. If you do Western, I suggest Belize & Roatan. Belize has cave tubing, which is awesome, and Roatan has a great beach. In the east, St. Thomas, San Juan, & Grand Turk are among my favorites.