Please help us decide ... (cross posted)

Jamli

I apologize up front about the length of this post.:o Also, I am cross posting it on all three cruise lines. I am plannning a summer Caribbean cruise for our family of four: DH and I are in our early fifties and have two kids 20 and 15. We have cruised many times in the past, mainly RCCL, Carnival, and Disney and our absolute favorite cruise was on NCL Escape Haven. Costs prohibit booking Haven this year so we are faced with a choice that we can’t seem to make. Our options are:

1. MSC Seaside in the Yacht Club -the price and perks are great but we would all be in one cabin (YC1). The private pool and restaurant are definitely the high point for this option. We have never sailed on MSC before and are a bit leery of the Seaside reviews, but haven’t read many on the YC.

2. Carnival Vista Havana Area - we would sail in two cabins, a Havana Aft Balcony and a Havana Inside. The aft cabin on hold and only one available is on 7th floor next to the aft wrap-around and is smaller than the others. It has no couch area.

This cruise is 8 days and goes to the Southern Caribbean which we love. We have been to the ports before but have never been on the Vista. Love the private pool area but a little bit afraid that so much of the entertainment centers around 18+ comedy shows that would exclude our 15 year old. I should add that as my daughter has gotten older she prefers to hang out with us or her brother, so I doubt she’ll go to the teen club.

Also, we have generally preferred the MDR on Carnival more than Royal, but haven’t sailed either line in a few years.

3. Harmony of the Seas - we would sail in two cabins, an ocean side balcony across from a boardwalk balcony. This is the least expensive option but they are all within $1000 with the Vista being the most expensive, but it is one day longer.

We have never sailed on an Oasis class ship before and the activities look amazing for our kids. The shows also look great. The down side is no private pool area or restaurant and our daughter is six months shy of being able to go to the solarium or adult pool, which are 16+. I am a little bit concerned if we would be able to find lounge chairs by a pool without setting a 6:00 am alarm.

Time constraints only allow us to take one vacation per year or two, so I want to try to make the best choice possible. I know it’s ridiculous but I am actually losing sleep over this.

So if you’ve made it this far thank you and I’ll briefly summarize - which would you pick: Seaside Yacht Club with 1 suite, Vista Havana southern Caribbean with a small aft balcony and an inside, or Harmony with two balconies? :)

Being its more of a family cruise...Activities alone the Harmony wins hands down!! I have cruised on the Vista and in Havana. Its a great experience and makes it alot more relaxful....but your kids will likely hang at the main pool area where all the action is and more kids their age will hang out....so other than peace and quiet for you and your husband...your paying a premium for the kids staying in a Havana cabin. I will be sailing in YC on Seaside in March.... but again....it doesn't appear to come close to what Harmony can offer activity wise.

We are trying the Seaside YC with our family of 5 together in one cabin next year. Space will be tight, but the kids are old enough to spend their days on the slides and we can relax at the quiet pool. I like the idea of having them meet some kids from other countries, and the idea of a big ship to explore while still having a calmer area to retreat to. Reviews are mixed, I agree. The YC reviews seem positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums