embarkation at galveston

sunsetme

I have cruised out of Galveston on Carnival, Disney, and Royal Caribbean and have not had any major issues with traffic. At times there is a lot of cars, but the most I have waited on busy days has been about the times it takes for three or four red lights to pass. The traffic officers do a good job keeping the flow moving. Its also easy to park and ride to terminal or park and walk across the street to the terminal. I have waited in extremely long slow lines to board Liberty of the Seas in Galveston which from my experiences have been longer then in other ports.

Take Broadway/45 to 22nd street. Turn left and takes you straight to the port. Avoid Harborside Drive if you can.

At least 12 cruises out of Galveston chiming in...

Agree, if driving, stay on the South side of the island until you get to 20th street (or better yet stay in one of the new hotels on the east side of the island).

RCCL cruisers do have to pass through the Carnival terminal to get to their ship but it’s not as long as it seems (5 mins tops).

Don’t be deceived by the parking lot that markets itself as closet to the RCCL ship, it does not help being closer because you can’t cross the highway as a pedestrian there, you need to walk back east to cross between the RCCL and Carnival terminals. I drop DW with the Carry on and even at that lot I’m back in 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread has convinced me to not do self carry next time we sail from Galveston! We’ll take a nice high number and take it easy. It’s only an hour drive home for us.

We do self carry but leisurely wait till the last possible time to get off the boat. Took about 15 minutes from walking out of our room to get through customs. Line is shorter if you have passport. Took 5 minutes longer for our group that didn't.

Sailed out of Galveston twice in the last year. 1st time parked in long term lot and walked. Walk wasn't too bad but as others mentioned once inside the congested drop off point, it could get hairy if you don't pay attention to traffic while walking. 2nd time we had friends drop us off right near the entrance, piece of cake, no issues. Our 2nd Galveston sailing, it was the fastest ever for us to get on the ship.

Thanks everyone for your responses. We will aim to arrive at 10:00am, meaning we won't get there until about 10:30. Getting DH and DD out and on the road to anywhere always takes longer than anticipated, so I often tell them we need to be someplace earlier than we actually do!