American Express Platinum and HAL

ksmaxey

The the Chase Sapphire offer the lounge access when flying?

Yes, to the Priority Pass Lounges only though (it is only for Chase Sapphire RESERVE).

I really like their phone service. On a recent cruise I lost my card and discovered this just before we left port. Called the 800 number and in a matter of minutes had the card cancelled and a new one on the way to my home address. I was stressing out over this, as after we left port I would be out of phone contact for 5 days! Thanks Chase Reserve.

Edited by DaveOKC

I've had great customer service from AMEX over the years-the best of any of the credit cards. As far as lounges with the Platinum card, you get the Priority Pass Select, the Centurion lounges, and a few others (it's a new chain that is at my local airport-Score!) Also, with AMEX, as opposed to some of the other cards, you get to bring 2 guests in for free-or at least for now.

I've had great customer service from AMEX over the years-the best of any of the credit cards. As far as lounges with the Platinum card, you get the Priority Pass Select, the Centurion lounges, and a few others (it's a new chain that is at my local airport-Score!) Also, with AMEX, as opposed to some of the other cards, you get to bring 2 guests in for free-or at least for now.

I got the Priority Pass right away with Chase Res. I am fairly certain for many years when a Platinum feature it was limited to the user and guests had to pay additional. Amex may have changed this but it was something that Chase offered right away. Centurion Clubs are very nice but if you don't frequent the few airports they are at they are at not much good.

I had been pleased with Amex Customer service but experienced several serious slip ups the last few years. They did always throw some points at you if you were unhappy with something.

I now use my Reserve for all travel and could not be happier with the point flexibility and value.

I asked my HAL PCC about this credit and she knew nothing about it???

Perhaps that should tell you something about PCCs and booking direct :). There are quite a few benefits when booking though a decent cruise agent...not the least is saving 7-10% over booking direct (once you factor in OBCs). And we have often gotten an extra OBC from AMEX (you do need a Platinum card) and once even got an extra $100 because all the CLIA (Cruise Line International Association) had a month long promotion if you booked with a member agency (just about all the decent Cruise Agencies are members).

Getting back to AMEX Platinum vs Chase Reserve...it is an interesting ongoing battle and all the cardholders and the beneficiaries. One advantage to AMEX is their relationship with Delta Airlines. If you have a Platinum Card it does get you free entry (guests pay $29) to any Delta Sky Lounge...if you happen to be flying on Delta.

Hank

I know AMEX changed this as I flew to Vegas and back with 2 friends and was able to bring them in a lounge for free in JFK and into the Centurion Lounge in Vegas. And yes, you are right about the Centurion Lounges as I have never been to one before and probably won't get to one again for some time as they aren't in the airports I use.

• 8 months later...