Cabanas on GSC

dodge9

Thinking about getting a Cabana when we are there in August... are they close to the water? How far away are they from the main beach area? Is this area only restricted to those that have cabanas or can others still come to the beach area? I am not supposed to be in the sun a lot, but will have my friends and cousins that enjoy all that. I don't want to be totally secluded from anyone that doesn't get a cabana, but thinking in August it may be a smart move for me. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The cabanas are somewhat secluded. They are a little ways back from the water, and have a fairly steep ramp. If there is anyone in your party with mobility issues, that could be a problem. The beach is a smaller, public area; anyone can come, but it tends to be less crowded because most people stop at the first or second beach & don't continue down to the cabana beach. We totally enjoyed our cabana, found the drinks service to be a wee bit slow, but it's a great way to spend the day without getting fried to a crisp in the sun.

The cabanas are somewhat secluded. They are a little ways back from the water, and have a fairly steep ramp. If there is anyone in your party with mobility issues, that could be a problem. The beach is a smaller, public area; anyone can come, but it tends to be less crowded because most people stop at the first or second beach & don't continue down to the cabana beach. We totally enjoyed our cabana, found the drinks service to be a wee bit slow, but it's a great way to spend the day without getting fried to a crisp in the sun.

So you wouldn’t recommend a cabana for people with mobility issues? We were talking about getting a cabana for our time on GSC but we have two family members who use scooters & canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, I don't think they would work for scooters. They used to have stairs, but for some reason the stairs were taken out & a ramp put in, but the area wasn't extended... which results in a nearly 45° or thereabouts ramp. Way steeper than your typical accessibility ramp.

The ramps are ridiculously steep. I have zero mobility issues and found it hard on my knees climbing up. Which resulted in our party of 11 making minimal trips back and forth. We had a few that stayed in the cabana all day, and some that stayed at the beach all day. Anytime someone DID go up, you'd hear the rest of the group yelling "Oh bring me down a mat, bring me a beer, bring a towel" because nobody wanted to make the trek back up the ramp of doom. :')

Thank you for this information. Can you see the ocean from the Cabana? We do have two with mobility issues, but I don't think they are going on the island, so we should be okay there. Trying to decide if the teenagers would be happy here or at the main beach area... I think I like the shade of the cabana lol

Perhaps a photo would help. We are standing at the front of Cabana 4, which is one of the large cabanas. The photographer is standing at the back, where there are some nice sofas & a low table. The Ramp of Doom slopes away from us down to a paved walkway that run between the cabanas & the beach. Once across that, the beach slopes down to the water. There's maybe ten or twelve rows of loungers, and a few clamshells. There's also a lifeguard station that we're blocking, which was manned all day. It's one of the smaller beaches, but wasn't at all crowded, since most people stay up by the buffet. The buffet is a bit of a hike, but restrooms are reasonably close. Please ask if you have any more questions!

Edit: well, jeez, that photo turned out so small after I resized it for the site requirements. I can email the original (larger) photo on request.

CabanaQueens_small.jpg.f89c880df0a854501c3501535eb0cefd.jpg

Perhaps a photo would help. We are standing at the front of Cabana 4, which is one of the large cabanas. The photographer is standing at the back, where there are some nice sofas & a low table. The Ramp of Doom slopes away from us down to a paved walkway that run between the cabanas & the beach. Once across that, the beach slopes down to the water. There's maybe ten or twelve rows of loungers, and a few clamshells. There's also a lifeguard station that we're blocking, which was manned all day. It's one of the smaller beaches, but wasn't at all crowded, since most people stay up by the buffet. The buffet is a bit of a hike, but restrooms are reasonably close. Please ask if you have any more questions!

Edit: well, jeez, that photo turned out so small after I resized it for the site requirements. I can email the original (larger) photo on request.

Thanks I am looking at one of the large cabanas. As long as I can see the ocean from my lounger I am happy. Was it a hot day when you went... we will be there in August. Just wondering if you get any real breeze from the ceiling fans too. As you can tell... I am not the beach goer of the group... I am a leukemia survivor and not permitted to be in the sun so much... I burn very easily. Thank you for all your help and advice and the photo. In your opinion as well... would you rent it again? THANKS!

I would totally rent again... in fact, I can't see myself going to GSC again without making arrangements to rent or share a cabana. It made the day so much nicer. I, too, can't take a whole lot of sun :-)

I was there last week, so, not very hot. In fact, the water was a little too cold for swimming. I dipped my toe & then retreated to the cabana to admire the view, which is lovely. I have also visited GSC in August, when the water is bathtub warm but the sun is quite punishing. Didn't have the cabana that time, so I can't tell you about the fans, but the sides are open & catch breezes well.

I think the small cabanas are at the same level as the large ones, just a little further down the paved pathway -- but I couldn't say for sure, we didn't venture that way.

Thank you for the information. You mentioned that the buffet is a bit of a hike... Can you tell me how close the nearest bar is? Priorities... :)

The closest bar to our cabana was the Bacardi Bar, which was about a three-minute leisurely stroll back up the paved walkway. The buffet is past that, another few minutes. We weren't in a hurry that day :-)

But, also, the cabana attendants will bring you drinks. They didn't come around quite as often as we would have liked during the peak lunch-hour time, so we started ordering two drinks every time we saw them. In the afternoon, it got a bit better, because some folks were already headed back to the ship & they weren't as busy.

The closest bar to our cabana was the Bacardi Bar, which was about a three-minute leisurely stroll back up the paved walkway. The buffet is past that, another few minutes. We weren't in a hurry that day :-)

But, also, the cabana attendants will bring you drinks. They didn't come around quite as often as we would have liked during the peak lunch-hour time, so we started ordering two drinks every time we saw them. In the afternoon, it got a bit better, because some folks were already headed back to the ship & they weren't as busy.

Yes, I'd read that about the attendants... I'm sure they are busy, but asking for 2 at a time makes sense! Thanks so much. I do hope we make it to the port!

I would totally rent again... in fact, I can't see myself going to GSC again without making arrangements to rent or share a cabana. It made the day so much nicer. I, too, can't take a whole lot of sun :-)

I was there last week, so, not very hot. In fact, the water was a little too cold for swimming. I dipped my toe & then retreated to the cabana to admire the view, which is lovely. I have also visited GSC in August, when the water is bathtub warm but the sun is quite punishing. Didn't have the cabana that time, so I can't tell you about the fans, but the sides are open & catch breezes well.

I think the small cabanas are at the same level as the large ones, just a little further down the paved pathway -- but I couldn't say for sure, we didn't venture that way.

THANKS for ALL your help! I reserved the Cabana and can't wait. You have been great answering all my questions!

Do you know if you can use the shore excursion credit from various cabins? Eg. if we have one person reserve the cabana for $800 but the 8-9 people have $50 shore excursion credits, can NCL apply each of those cabin's credits towards the total?

I am pretty sure you can only use one credit, since the price goes under only one reserved name.

The small cabanas are a way from the ship and the buffet area. But you can ask the cabana boy to get you food from the buffet.

Also at the end of the day I was tired from the sun and activity we did, we asked for a ride to the tenders and they accommodated us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone - We're cruising in a couple weeks. I've never been to GSC. How would I rent a cabana? How many people does the smallest or the largest accommodate? Is there a specific beach that only provides cabanas? TIA!!

Hello everyone - We're cruising in a couple weeks. I've never been to GSC. How would I rent a cabana? How many people does the smallest or the largest accommodate? Is there a specific beach that only provides cabanas? TIA!!

If there are any cabanas left, they are available on the shore excursions page for your cruise. The amount of people they hold are in the descriptions on the website -- I don't know offhand.