Kids onboard accounts

Price31

Not really. If they can charge to your account, what method you have set up to pay that account (OBC, cash, CC, DC) is irrelevant. Each card needs to have an on board account secured by either a CC. DC. or cash. You MIGHT be able to limit the daily spend on their cards. There has been mixed results in attempting to do that.

Sounds like My only option is to confiscate the cards unless they need them.

When I took my kid cousins... I did not back their account with my credit card and instead put $50 on their card in cash once onboard. There was no issue with this.

That's what I'd like to do, pay the dsc upfront and put cash on their acct

i was wondering, can I just buy onboard credit for my kids to limit their spending and remove them from my CC? Not sure they will know when to quit if they go to the arcade.

We block our kids cards and have them make their purchases through us. We heard a horror story from a customer service person on one of our cruises. Apparently some parents let their 3 kids run wild and they ran up over $8000 in arcade charges. I don’t think my kids would do that but I’d rather not tempt fate. It really hasn’t been too much of an inconvenience to do it that way if anything it forces them to spend time with us when they want to do some arcade games.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is not $1 per minutes. It is anywhere from $1 to $5 per game, some of which take a matter of seconds to play such as the claw machine or key hole games. Remember you sign that you will be responsible for all charges made to your account. You have no leg to stand on if your kid runs up any given amount of charges. You will not be allowed off of the ship with making good on the amount you owe.

If NCL has a system in place where they can have kids run up an $8000 bill playing games (without COGS to NCL) without expressly disclosing it then I guarantee they will lose in court (in fact they wouldn't even fight it). And if we are in a US port I also guarantee that they will eventually let you off even if you have not paid your bill.

They don't have anything set up for kids to do anything. They have services that are fee based. All passengers are allowed to use these services. If a parent lets their child use services unsupervised that is on them not NCL. The fact that game room is not free is fully disclosed. Also the CoGS is irrelevant. To address that point though there is never zero CoGS. There is always opportunity costs, which, I assume you comprehend since you are aware of the term CoGS.

BTW I did not say you have to pay the bill before you leave the ship, you just have to make it good. That can be in the form of signing a promissory note that is 100% legally binding.

Unless they expressly disclose that kids through normal play can charge that much money they would have no chance of collecting. And in a US port they will eventually have to let you off even if you refused to pay, charge, sign IOU, or promise a sack full of marbles.

Unless they expressly disclose that kids through normal play can charge that much money they would have no chance of collecting. And in a US port they will eventually have to let you off even if you refused to pay, charge, sign IOU, or promise a sack full of marbles.

I'm curious how that would be disclosed other than the signs in the Arcade ? Some of those games are $5 a go.

It is disclosed that the games are not free and it is disclosed how much each game costs to play. If someoen's kid is not very good at math it is not on NCL.

I've been there and read the signs. I was asking how/where he thought it needed to be disclosed.

They disclose that kids anyone can play and that there is a charge. Anyone can play as much as he wants. It is prima facia that the amount you owe is directly a result of how much you play. You can spend thousands at the bar on a cruise if you drink the expensive stuff, they do not have to have a sign that says if you drink a lot your bill will be higher. Your argument is absurd.

Please cite the law that states that signage is required of any specific amount being possible to accrue as well as what that amount is.

Actually no they do not HAVE TO let you off of the ship with you paying or making arrangements to pay what you owe. You are guilty of 'making off without payment' and you will be jailed if you refuse to pay or make arrangements to do so.

There is a difference for charges well beyond expectations unless reasonably disclosed...NCL would lose in court but it would never get that far...and sure...they could call the police but in the end they have to let you off the ship without paying (and we both know if wouldn't get that far).

Think of it this way. What if NCL had a magic luck floor tile that cost $10,000 and your child accidentally stepped on it (and this wasn't disclosed when you signed the charge statement)...would you be expected to pay? Or what if the kids club charged $100 per chicken nugget.

Edited by fastpitchdad

I'm curious how that would be disclosed other than the signs in the Arcade ? Some of those games are $5 a go.

Sorry I missed this. Unless they disclose that signing up for the ship cards could allow your minor children to rack up charges to NCL playing video games that could incur charges in multiples of the amount of money you paid for this cruise.

If NCL has a system in place where they can have kids run up an $8000 bill playing games (without COGS to NCL) without expressly disclosing it then I guarantee they will lose in court (in fact they wouldn't even fight it). And if we are in a US port I also guarantee that they will eventually let you off even if you have not paid your bill.

In most cases it would never get to a point where you would owe any money (except to your credit card provider) because they charge the credit card in batches and will lock out the onboard account if a charge fails. It wouldn’t get anywhere close to $8000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most cases it would never get to a point where you would owe any money (except to your credit card provider) because they charge the credit card in batches and will lock out the onboard account if a charge fails. It wouldn’t get anywhere close to $8000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking that it would be between you and your credit card card company at that point. If your cc charges went through of course they'd let you off the ship. Although there is that Youtube video of a women being detained from debarking for non-payment and creating quite a ruckus.

It is not $1 per minutes. It is anywhere from $1 to $5 per game, some of which take a matter of seconds to play such as the claw machine or key hole games. Remember you sign that you will be responsible for all charges made to your account. You have no leg to stand on if your kid runs up any given amount of charges. You will not be allowed off of the ship with making good on the amount you owe.

Well then ncl is very very stupid if they haven't figured out a way to manage and monitor arcade usage charges. Or figured out a way to monitor usage on cards tagged for minors...period...anywhere on the ship.

Yes I know the arcade is there for ncl...to make money on their pax at absurd rates...but it doesn't take a genius to know that it's a VERY SMART business practice to just tag minors cards and let's just say....perhaps at every $100 charge total....to just block the account from further usage ....until the parent oks the removal of the block

Technology can do this stuff

Ncl should recognize this is a good business practice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Best rule.

1- Know your kid

2- Know in advance what activities my charge things to your account.

3- No matter what, understand that you are responsible for charges unless you can prove you didn't make them!

Doesn't matter if your 10yo has the money knowledge of a 60yo business tycoon that's so tight he ****s diamonds or if your 17yo is so carefree that they will buy sodas and games for their buddies.

Hell I've seen people that end up with a bar tab that's borderline more expensive than just buying the beverage package plus gratuity. Now imagine sitting on a ship for 7+ days and enjoying a few sniffers of Louis XIII Cognac while sitting in the cigar lounge enjoying some fine hand rolled bliss. Beverage package isn't touching that bill.

If you don't want to risk it or don't trust your kids with that much responsibility- make their card a room key only or put it to a cash account. If you put their card on your cc be prepared for the charges. i doubt NCL is going to wait til final day to at least hold funds on a cc if you get spend happy.

NCL isn't my kids babysitter, I don't care how old they are.

Best rule.

1- Know your kid

2- Know in advance what activities my charge things to your account.

3- No matter what, understand that you are responsible for charges unless you can prove you didn't make them!

Doesn't matter if your 10yo has the money knowledge of a 60yo business tycoon that's so tight he ****s diamonds or if your 17yo is so carefree that they will buy sodas and games for their buddies.

Hell I've seen people that end up with a bar tab that's borderline more expensive than just buying the beverage package plus gratuity. Now imagine sitting on a ship for 7+ days and enjoying a few sniffers of Louis XIII Cognac while sitting in the cigar lounge enjoying some fine hand rolled bliss. Beverage package isn't touching that bill.

If you don't want to risk it or don't trust your kids with that much responsibility- make their card a room key only or put it to a cash account. If you put their card on your cc be prepared for the charges. i doubt NCL is going to wait til final day to at least hold funds on a cc if you get spend happy.

NCL isn't my kids babysitter, I don't care how old they are.

Bar bills can't be run up by minors so not a good comparison

The point is the arcade users were minors.

Ncl will lose they know that and yes ncl should monitor or as you say babysit your kids in this particular use of the card especially since charges can get out of hand in seconds as ncl uses rip off arcade pricing and knows it

I know you are trying to say the minors are responsible for their actions and while I tend to agree here....I also recognize that arcade usage...is not the same as a movie theater overcharging your 13 yo for popcorn...

Just for arguments sake...you are an adult correct?

So if you mistakenly THOUGHT you logged off your onboard internet account but in reality didn't ...would you expect to pay $8000 for wasted wifi time? No you wouldn't or least I hope you wouldn't pay and if course plead your case to guest services. However this makes an excellent point for using a credit card with a very low credit limit for check in. Lol

Arcade usage by minors is the same thing....they just don't have the capacity to realize the error if their ways. A 13 yo see $1 a play...and could easily think that means for as long as he is at that game....not $1 for every button he pushes. Sorry the kid nor his parents can be faulted for this.

Ncl is at fault for this as they are perpetrating a rip off environment and would be wiser in the long run to say charge $25 an hour for unlimited use of the arcade. And then shut the card down after the paid for arcade time. Period.

For those who are unaware....pax must sign in and then log off every time they they use wifi....but it's not as simple to do this as it should be and even the computer savvy can think they logged off when in fact they didn't

But I'm guessing that ncl would automatically log you out after a certain time of non logged out non usage. Or they should as this is easy for them to do....oh an a smart business practice for ncl as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

My kids get a specific amount they are allowed to spend, and if they go over, they are told they will pay me back, and to expect a punishment. It they are old enough to be unsupervised, they are old enough to understand this concept. They’ve been on 4 cruises, plus other vacations with charging privileges, and have never gone over. Obviously I can check the account at any time.

Even if it was small and in the kids club where the parents never go?

Tbey don’t sell anything in the kids club, they are supervising the kids. If a parent is ok with their kids not being supervised, they have to be confident that the kids are mature enough not to make bad decisions.