Flying to FLL for cruise from Port of Miami - get wine on the way?

mentor1000

I have read all the posts that search found on this subject but didn't find an answer.

We are going on a quick 4 day Bahamas cruise and unfortunately, we have to fly in the same morning of the cruise because DH works the night before. We arrive at 8 AM to FLL and then need to get to port of Miami. I am trying to figure out how we can get some wine to take on board on the way.

I understand that shuttles will not stop anywhere. We've rented cars at FLL to POM before but it sounds like an overkill. I see many people suggesting Uber and Lyft. Are they open to stopping at a grocery store on the way? I've never used either so I have no idea how they work.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks :D

Uber or Lyft will stop while you shop - not sure about the fee while they are waiting. Taxi will do the same (for more $$). Let your driver know what you want -- lots of wine choices at most Publix grocery stores and even CVS/Walgreens drug stores have an okay selection of national brands. For anything special/exotic I would pre-order through Total Wine - they have locations in both FLL, Miami and Miami Beach although they might be out of the way resulting in a higher fare.

Good luck! :)

Uber will stop, but the price you're quoted when you first request the car will no longer be honored. It's not horrible, but you'll be charged for the mileage off the original route as well as the wait time while you go into the store:

UberX: $.23/minute wait

UberXL: $.30/minute wait

UberLux: $.40/minute wait

UberLux $.80/minute wait

The only problem with Total Wine is that there is no location right on the way to POM, unlike PE where you can go to the one on 17th St.

There is a store called Wine by the Bay on Biscayne Blvd. a couple blocks north of the port. I have never been there but it looks decent from the website. That might be your best bet. Enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...