Rotterdam ?

whatcruiseisnext

Each cruise line does their own thing and most will have some kind of shuttle service (for a price). But its only a short distance from the Port to the nearest subway station where you can grab a subway to any of the local stops or over to the train station.

Hank

Princess docks in town so you just walk out of the terminal, and you’re in the center of town. It’s a quick walk to the train station, and there are plenty of cabs. Sailing into Rotterdam is a great experience; it takes a long time, but there is so much to see.

Princess docks in town so you just walk out of the terminal, and you’re in the center of town. It’s a quick walk to the train station, and there are plenty of cabs. Sailing into Rotterdam is a great experience; it takes a long time, but there is so much to see.

I would not say one is in the center of town at the terminal. The latter is across the river from the main part of the city. It's about 1.2 miles from the terminal to MarktHal, a popular destination, and about 2 miles from the terminal to the train station (Rotterdam Centraal). Every time we've docked in Rotterdam Princess has offered a free (I think) shuttle, which makes several stops (MarktHal, near the train station, etc.). I usually do a lot of walking at any port, but I do use the shuttle to at least get me to the MarktHal.

When we were there in the fall of 2016 on the Regal or Royal, and we docked right by the bridge, and we didn't walk far to the train station. We're not walkers, and we couldn't have walked a mile. Are there different cruise ports?

From the website of the terminal we used, <<Cruise Terminal The terminal is located right in the heart of downtown Rotterdam. The terminal was build late 4’ties and was and still is unique in its lay out of almost 5000 m2 open space.>>

When we were there in the fall of 2016 on the Regal or Royal, and we docked right by the bridge, and we didn't walk far to the train station. We're not walkers, and we couldn't have walked a mile. Are there different cruise ports?

From the website of the terminal we used, <<Cruise Terminal The terminal is located right in the heart of downtown Rotterdam. The terminal was build late 4’ties and was and still is unique in its lay out of almost 5000 m2 open space.>>

Perhaps you mean a tram station, which is very close to the port. I think their website has an expansive view of what constitutes downtown. There are virtually no tourist sites near the terminal--they are all across the river. For example, the Markthal (a wonderful indoor food market) is a 30-min walk away (per google maps) and the railroad station (if you want to go to Amsterdam on your own) is a 40-min walk. Museumpark, where there's a good art museum is a 30-min walk. Course there are taxis, trams, etc. that would be quicker. But my point is that the port is on the "edge" (and across the river) of downtown, not in the middle of it. That's why Princess offers a free shuttle to get you closer to the main tourist sites.