Planning First Transatlantic

Johnsy81

DH and I are planning our first transat on QE2 for April 2007. Have been on several cruises, including QM2 but never on QE2 or crossing the Big Pond. We plan on flying from NYC to London, spending 2-3 days seeing the sights, then sailing back to NYC from Southhampton. Am pouring over QE2 deckplans (and trying to figure out the budget for this trip). I would love to book an outside cabin and may yet be able to do that. However, for now, I'm looking at M4 cabins on deck 4. It looks like some cabins only have stall showers and the square footage can be quite small on some of them. The cabins I'm interested in are 4172 or 4173. Any input you have on these would be appreciated. Also, am trying to get a handle on what clothing to bring. I know that there are 4 formal nights, and we will plan accordingly. My question is more around our "daytime" wardrobe both in London and on the crossing. I imagine that late April in London is cool...and that crossing the Atlantic will be downright cold. For those of you who are veteran "crossers," would appreciate guidance as to what cold weather clothing would best be suited for this trip. Also, any hotel suggestions in London (Kensington area preferred) would be appreciated. Don't hesitate to throw any words of wisdom my way regarding what we can expect on a crossing.

On a side note, I love reading these message boards and we learned a tremendous amount when preparing for our QM2 Caribbean in November '04. Thanks to everyone, and enjoy your holidays!

Most cabins on QE2 are small, shockingly small, perhaps, if you are used to more modern ships with larger cookie-cutter cabins. That category may also have bunk beds.

However, I have stayed in a 78 sq ft inside single and wouldn't hesitate to stay in it again as it was very cozy and comfortable. Although I have not stayed in the back half of the ship, be aware that some people complain about vibration from the screws back there, but the cabins you mention should be far enough forward.

On a transatlantic crossing, even in May or September, it can be very cool and even cold on deck, so plan on spending most of your time indoors. QE2 has two decks with long corridors on either side that have comfortable chairs and tables along the windows and they are a great place to watch the ocean go by, so being indoors isn't a bad place to be. There is also much more to do indoors than on your typical cruise ship, so you will not be bored. There are also many historical places to investigate on the ship and lots of nooks and crannies to discover.

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but I recommend a warm coat, even a winter coat. Or at least a medium weight jacket you can layer over a sweater or sweatshirt. You will want a warm hat as well. I have photos of coming into NY harbor at 6:00 am on Oct 7 and everyone bundled up on deck in all the warm clothing they could muster. Remember also that because the ship is fast, there will always be w brisk breeze on deck, but there are places you can sit out of the wind if the weather is sunny.

Anyway, it is a great, old ship, so enjoy!

My experience with QE2--December 2003 westbound crossing

FLAVOR:

I both love and hate the QE2 and Cunard at the same time. What they do well they do beautifully like no other. What they do badly the screw up royally.

CUNARD SCREW UPS:

Problems began with getting me my tickets only 6 days before my flight out, and this required 3 phone calls and a promise to post the idiocy on all the message boards. The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. I do have to say the food was tasty, especially the desserts. The cuisine however was not very imaginative.

Ships HVAC had 2 settings: 90^f and 30^ f with no in between.

THE SHIP:

She is a nautical Jaguar. QE2 is full of both wonderful features and maddening quirks at the same time. Her exterior design is beautiful. The forms and surfaces are like the Loveboats and the RVL trio albeit enlarged. Her original interiors were done in 1966 London Mod. Over time, the mod got toned down to an interior theme which is a visual happy meal. Decor is neither innovative nor offensive. The only distinctive room is the Queens Lounge with the 1966 London Mod white fluted columns and coffered ceiling.

Going between decks is another story. She has 9 stairtowers of which 8 of them go to only some decks, skip over a few, change configuration to become a habitrail so when you exit you do not know if you are going forward or aft in a hallway. It has the complexity of the New York City subway system. With 6 sea days I could figure them out if not interested in other activities. Ship had space age décor with 1920’s space planning.

She really shines like no other with her incredibly stable ride. I0’ white caps and 20 knot winds gives the gentlest of motion that helps me sleep. For 2 days we had 20’ swells where the waves would crash over the bow [saw from bridge cam, forward observation deck closed off.] the ship would gently heave, but no sound was heard. The sensation is more of pitching than rolling, like a porpoise. Unsecured closet doors would swing open and shut. I walked holding the rails, by the next day I was used to the motion and walking regularly. From the dining room to the other side, I could see the ship rock, first all sea, moving horizon, then all sky and back again, but did not feel it. The SSNorway had the same ride motions, but with more amplitude and faster frequency.

Her connection to the sea is magnificent. Every public area has an ocean view. There is no traditional enclosed promenade, but I did not miss it since that space is opened to the rest of the ship and plenty of comfortable chairs next to the windows to look out of. Most of her public rooms are smallish hideaways unlike the SSNorway and Pacific Princess which are a succession of grand spaces.

The buffet area has a line that zigzag’s in the wrong direction. There is a fence to keep you in the cattle chute, and you cannot see what is ahead to skip over food you do not want to eat. Since the dining rooms have great picture windows I did not use the buffet area. On many ships where the dining room is a windowless cavern below decks, I use the buffet simply because I like to watch the ocean while eating.

QE2 has a great sense of intimacy that I did not think could be found on a big ship. The SSNorway only 10% bigger has little sense of intimacy. Intimacy to me is a function of passenger density, not size of the ship. Regal Empress is 1/3 the size and stuffed with 1100 passengers offers none at all.

PEOPLE AND CRUISE FORMAT:

This was the BEST group of passengers I ever have been with. Crossers and cruisers are different breeds. Winter time crossers tend to be eccentric and adventurous. To want to cross the North Atlantic in the winter you have to be [me included]. Not everybody on board was wealthy, however most were well educated. Many were QE2 repeat passengers which created a sense of camaraderie and an institutional memory. All knew how to have fun. There were lots of liner loonies too. Noted travel writer Ted Scull was on board, and Stephen Card: noted maritime artist.

Some complained the weather was too calm and wanted 50 knot gales and 50’ waves. We sailed between 2 storms. The outdoor temp was 50^f most of the time and people were using the outdoor pools. The gym was crowded every morning with many seniors doing serious work outs. This ship did not have the typical red-neck, blue hair, big butt, big gut, glutton gambler cruise passenger stereotype.

Everybody on board was very friendly. If tables at tea were near full, it was OK to ask to join, and if people ask to join me I always obliged. The result was great Left Bank conversation. Pomposity and standoffishness are looked down upon.

I had been recognized as Desirod by 2 people; not by what I look like, but by certain maritime clothing and ship conversation. Internet is a small place.

Passenger complement was

1000 Americans

400 British

90 German

40 French

30 Canadian

rest from all over.

The Pied Piper partial gay and lesbian charter was 25 people. I counted 100 gay people overall. We all seemed to find each other. Ages were 20-80. It was nice since we had our own section of the dining room guaranteeing good table mates. Overall it was a very low key atmosphere and everybody blended with all and not one inch of intolerance. If you told someone you were gay: "yea, there was a Tuesday last week" and continued conversation

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages. I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversationally. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

One was a businessman/philosopher my age. We ate breakfast every morning together and were the last to leave the dining room. British were reserved unless drunk. I ate lunch regularly with a spunky septuagenarian Glaswegian couple who were fascinating people.

The Germans traveling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle. I did befriend a young lawyer. There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

A priest and a rabbi were on board. QE2 does have a synagogue. Church services were in the Theatre. One activity was a joint lecture by the priest and rabbi on people of different faiths coming together.

CAPTAIN’S PARTY AND FORMAL DRESS:

I though I would hate it, but I really don’t mind. On the QE2 there were several passengers in Scottish Kilts, one Napoleon uniform and several other vintage military outfits. If I realized I could have been creative Hmmmmmm;-) The Captains party was like a Fellini movie where the Munsters and the Addams family would blend in: taking place in the space age Queens Lounge, the bordello velour furniture, and the vintage costumes was a strange confluence.

ACTIVITIES:

The cruise format was made for me-SUPERLATIVE. Again what the QE2 does well is superlative and what it does badly is horrid. The library and book shop are second to none. It has many maritime books, and did not get a chance to finish all I wanted to read. Crossing had a Science Fiction theme which had several lectures on the Cosmic Watergate-coverups of aliens visiting Earth. Ted Scull gave two interesting lectures. Other speakers were Seth Stoshak, Max Arthur, Herbert Appleman, and Stanton Friedman. There was a classical music concert, and loved the afternoon teas with the harpist.

Overall I truly enjoyed myself. It is great to come home refreshed, showered, wearing clean clothes and not jetlagged and would definitely cross again. I can forgive the ship’s quirks, but not Cunard for simple shortcomings so easily rectified by other cruiselines.

David,

Thank you for your marvelous review.

Strigihtforward, and your complaints were firm, not the least bit whiny! You spoke it just the way you felt it, without embellishment!

It makes me truly jeaolus.

I will get on the old girl one day, But for now, the QM2 shall be my home away from home for 12 days in just over a week!

Karie- Anxious, can't wait- But 8 days is simply not enough to pack in! And I've had clothes on my bed for three days trying to chose (move them to the chair at night, then back to the bed in hopes of winnowing down the choices!)

Marc will pack in ten minutes the day we set sail!

To JBailey and Desirod: very helpful information...thank you. From the deck plans of QE2, I surmised that the cabins are not what one would find on today's megaships. We definitely do not want bunk beds so I think I will call Cunard to get a sense of what inside cabins have 2 lower berths. We live in the northeast US so are used to cold weather and have the clothing on hand that would be needed to cross the Atlantic. We are looking for a classic experience...not into rock climbing, ice skating, discos. We are excited about meeting people from around the world and looking forward to the lectures and activities provided on a crossing. Will keep you posted on what we end of doing but wanted to say thank you for the info. While I've never been on QE2, I love her already and get teary eyed when I read some of the comments posted by CCers who are as entranced with her as I am!

I have a recommendation for a great hotel in the Kensington area. It's Millennium Bailey's Hotel London Kensington. It's across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station, very convenient to shops and stores, and in a very pretty residential part of town, easy walking distance to Royal Albert Hall, Victoria & Albert Museum, parks, etc. The rates were reasonable when we went in Sept., off tourist season. I would imagine your dates in April would also be off tourist season. We did exactly what you're doing, spending a few days in London and taking the QE2 back. It was a great trip. Check the hotel out and see if that's what you're looking for. Good luck!

All M4 cabins have two lower beds. Upper/lower berths are in M6 and M7 only.

4172 and 4173 are not especially good cabins at only 125 sq ft. You would probably be better off with 4061/4062 at 151 sq ft, 4192/4193 at 145 ft, or 5106/5109/5110/5113 at 145 sq ft... Those are the largest cabins in the M4 category.

Personally I would choose 4192/4193 for location and size. I have a scan of a deck plan (I don't want to post it as it's not mine) that includes layouts of these cabins along with 4172/4173 and 4192/4193 are much larger and better laid-out. I don't have scans of 4061/4062 or the five deck cabins but I am sure someone could help you out with that.

Also, any hotel suggestions in London (Kensington area preferred) would be appreciated.

We stayed in Country Inns and Suites in the Kensington area (Cromwell Road)and found it to be comfortable with decent-sized rooms; and the staff were friendly and accomodating. And, for London, it was very reasonable. One of the reasons we booked it was that it had a parking garage, where we left our car during our entire London stay. However, that was almost four years ago, so I don't know what it's like now, or even whether it's still the same hotel.

We were in an M2 cabin, number 5036, with just a porthole. That kept the expense down a bit but still let us look out and know that we were at sea. It was actually quite exciting, that far down in the ship -- we could watch the sea pounding against the porthole as the ship made its way. Yes, the cabin was small, compared to what we've come to expect on cruise ships, but there was plenty of storage space (and we had a lot of luggage, having spent a couple of weeks driving around England, Ireland, and France). It was a weird shape, too, but somehow it worked for us -- enough room to move around, sit, and get dressed.

The shipboard experience was wonderful -- always some interesting activities, such as ship-related lectures and tours of the ship highlighting her historial artifacts. And free champagne to toast the queen's birthday.

Have a wonderful crossing!

I highly recommend 4192. I lucked in to that cabin on my first crossing and it was the best of all the M class cabins I've sailed in. The layout leaves plenty of room for two people and there is a lot of closet space. I don't remember any noise in that cabin and the lack of windows does make it easy to sleep in!

Julia

I still have a copy of the thread about things to do on the QE2 if you will post your email. It is too long to put in a message. Mostly it covers many of the interesting, historical, and quirky things to see and do on this ship if you want to experience everything.

I still have a copy of the thread about things to do on the QE2 if you will post your email. It is too long to put in a message. Mostly it covers many of the interesting, historical, and quirky things to see and do on this ship if you want to experience everything.

JBailey: would love to learn more!. Email address is jrx2@optonline.net.

Also, thanks to everyone esp. Doug for the cabin suggestions and hotel recommendations in London. Will consider all advice when planning this trip.

One more question for my fellow CCers: right now, Cunard is not offering one-way air for the 2007 crossings. TA said there's always a chance that this will change. Have any of you used the Cunard air program? We are eligible for a free companion coach ticket but was told by TA that it's not worth using our miles for a one-way ticket. In your opinions, and based on past Cunard history, is it likely that they will offer free one-way air for 2007 crossings?

Not offering air to or from the ship for crossings is a new ploy that Cunard Princess is trying begining in 2007. My guess is that Princess wants to bring Cunard more in line with its pricing and yield management, so I think that we'll be seeing the lowest crossing fares in years. The down side is that air will not be included and become a revenue source for Cunard.

Archived