Booking cancellation schedule

Rec'd from my TA that my 09/26/2006 sailing imposes this penalties:

151 days or before, NIL

150-120 days, $500pp

119-90 days, 50% of full fare

89-60 days, 75% of full fare

59 days or less, 100% of full fare

The final payment date is still 90 days prior to sailing, meaning Jun.28, 2006 in my case.

Is this always like this? And how Oceania gets the 50% penalty before the full payment days?

Is this on Oceania letterhead?

Online and in their brochure it is as follows

Cancellation and Refunds

A full refund of payments received will be made when Oceania Cruises receives notice of cancellation at least 91 days prior to the scheduled sailing date. Cancellation notices must be received by Oceania Cruises in writing. Guests who cancel within 90 days of sailing are subject to the following per person cancellation fees:

90-60 Days Prior: Deposit Amount

59-30 Days Prior: 50% of fare

29-15 Days Prior: 75% of fare

14-0 Days Prior: 100% of fare

A 100% cancellation penalty will be imposed for non-appearance or the absence of written notice. Fare is defined as the cost of any cruise, land or air element purchased from Oceania Cruises.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_MainContentPage.aspx?pageuid=3c9edb37-c49f-4074-9be6-584a9d210663

Fax I have from Oceania, on their letterhead, via my TA, for 11-06 cruise, and dated 9-21-05:

Cancellation:

120 days or more 0%

120-91 days prior $500.00pp

90-60 days prior 50%

59-30 days prior 75%

29 days or less prior 100%

I think it has to do with the length of the cruise. We are signed up for a 24 day cruise on the Nautica next February and the penalties start at 150 - 120 days at $500pp. Then 119 -90 at 50% of fare etc. This is on Oceania stationary.

Seems the shorter cruises start at 120 days where the longer cruises start at 150 days.

First of all the cruise company can't collect more than the $500 deposit that you have paid if you cancel before final..I know the policies on the longer trips I believe 21 days and over have new deposit and penalty policies..Oceania is closed until Tuesday I will get the new info for you at that time..

Jan

One of my agents had the new policy in writing..so I am posting it part of it..anyone that would like a copy of the whole page I will be happy to send it to you..

Cancellation Policy: All cancellations must be in writing. The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to

the scheduled time of departure. For all air-inclusive cruise or cruisetour packages cancelled after receipt of the airline ticket, refunds will only be processed after the

return of the airline ticket. The following charges will apply to cancellations received as follows:

Holiday Cruises and Cruises 20 Days or longer

150-120 Deposit Amount

119-91 50% of fare

90-60 75% of fare

59-30 100% of fare

29-15 100% of fare

14-0 100% of fare

Full payment is due 150 days prior to departure!!

Jan

Jan

I just don't know.

You have one "official" policy, yet they are sending out at least one other version on their letterhead, when confirming bookings.

It is these little frustrations that drive some of us bonkers. Make a policy, stick with it, and disseminate proper information!

I am not a lawyer but it would seem to me that the Contract I enter into at the time of booking is that which prevails. If therefore when I book the cancellation policy is say 180 days for a full refund, then that is what I would expect. Otherwise Oceania or any Company could suddenly say that there is NO REFUND and FULL PAYMENT REQUIRED at any time.

Brian

This is a new policy and does NOT apply to bookings deposited, I believe before November..it ONLY applies to Holiday cruises and cruises over 20 days..what was in force at the time of YOUR booking..as Brian said, that is what your contract is..no one can change the rules on your trip after you have deposited..

Hope this clears up any questions..

Jan

Noted new cancellation policy for longer cruises and requiring full payment 5 months prior to departure. Is this now standard in the industry?

Oceania has shown they like others can change itinaries, cancell scheduled cruises on which deposits have been made as well as ports of call.

This is a classy line although small. Should Oceania not be providing some form of compensation for making these changes when they have our money? Some of us have made reservations well in advance and planning trips etc has been on going to coincide with cruises.

We have three trips planned on which deposits have been made, one now cancelled and another in process of having itinary changed. All now seem to be in question. We have completed two cruises with Oceania and are now concerned about their loyalty for future business.

Any comments?

Archived