Maybe I am jinked on Celebrity, I sure hope not

kcgirl

Sigh....A very long while back we booked the Summit out of San Juan for Jan 13 2018. It was a great deal about $1,000 for a balcony with a $350 room credit and drink package. The best part and why we booked was the itinerary. So the big hurricane came thru messed up San Juan and some of the islands so we decided to push it to Feb of 2019.. Same deal which was great. Ok so Friday we get an email that Summit is being taken out of service for several weeks and our sailing in Feb 2019 is one of them. We can choose a few sailings in December, one in late March and 2 in April. They will give another $200 room credit on top of all we have. THey will not just let us pick another 7 day Celebrity sailing and keep the deal we have. I have looked at all the Jan/Feb 2019 Caribbean sailings and are are more money with no perks. I really booked to get out of the Midwest winter and so I am sad. I have moved it to the April 13 2019 sailing but not 100% I will keep that. WE can also get a full refund too. There is lots of time to see if something else on Celebrity will pop up but wanted everyone's thoughts on this mess and what would you do.

Are they also offering you a 50% future cruise credit? If yes, maybe you can cancel, get a refund, and select a different ship at a similar time so you still escape the winter and apply the cruise credit to the new sailing - not sure if pricing will end up being too high....

Do they not let you keep the same original perks on your new sailing (since they cancelled)?

It sucks when things change. Celebrity seems like they offer a lot more when they cancel a cruise. I switched to Celebrity from NCL when they cancelled our cruise. We were offered two options, one which they knew wasn't available (Pearl was chartered). The other was their newest ship and cost more than double in price and they offered no price breaks nor would they transfer any of the perks I had on the other ship they cancelled (same itinerary just one day later). Not only that they didn't have any oceanview staterooms so I would have paid more than double to go down to an inside on a larger ship. No deal, I jumped ship and found Celebrity.

I hope Celebrity will work with you to find a comparable cruise.

If you cancel, you don't get the extra OBC. So, if you know you're going to take a Celebrity cruise at some point, it's better to book something and get that extra now. It should travel with your reservation if you re-book to a different itinerary. You'll also be able to keep an eye on price drops and apply those if they happen before final payment.

I was also cancelled for February 2019, and I cannot go in December or April for those replacement dates that were offered. So, I moved it to an Equinox sailing in February instead. I had to pay a higher price but it is a different ship class and a different itinerary and is in line with what I've spent for a similar cruise in the past. My plan B was to re-book Summit for 2020, which I could have done for about the same price as the 2019 trip that was cancelled.

Edited by bEwAbG