Splendour of St Peterburg vs Simply St Petersburg Tours with P&O

Swindonpete

We did the small group Simply St Petersburg which was brilliant in a minibus group of 12. We loved the underground experience plus the visit to the food market etc and shopping and vodka tasting as well as seeing the big spendours like the Hermitage and the Palaces and the churches and the parks and gardens etc.. We also did the boat trip plus the hydrofoil and we feel we really covered it on this tour including the holiday house Putin was having built. Had a fantastic guide too.

This tour was so good that we are having a hard time deciding what to do as a Returner next year. :)

But I don't know what your other excursion covers of course, to be able to compare...

We did the small group Simply St Petersburg which was brilliant in a minibus group of 12. We loved the underground experience plus the visit to the food market etc and shopping and vodka tasting as well as seeing the big spendours like the Hermitage and the Palaces and the churches and the parks and gardens etc.. We also did the boat trip plus the hydrofoil and we feel we really covered it on this tour including the holiday house Putin was having built. Had a fantastic guide too.

This tour was so good that we are having a hard time deciding what to do as a Returner next year. :)

But I don't know what your other excursion covers of course, to be able to compare...

Thanks very much - sounds like a good option and your thoughts have reassured us (must be a nice place as you are returning). Thanks again, happy cruising.

The private tour companies in SPB are excellent. We did the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla Tours. There were only two other people from our ship booked on it, so virtually a private tour.

Look on the Northern Europe forums for lots of very good recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would suggest that you book with an independent company who will be . Much cheaper & more intimate in that they are smaller groups and entrance to all locations are quicker. The local knowledge and all visa's are organised by them as well.

The P&O Simply St Petersburg tour discussed in an earlier post is also a small group tour and I agree small group tours are much nicer than large coaches.

In reality all those minibuses trek around St P almost in convoy - it's comical really as they all profess to have this 'exclusive' entry to places before the general public and you watch them all lining up vying for position and taking their turns.:D:D

Our P&O tour was actually not that much more expensive than the independant ones.

The P&O Simply St Petersburg tour discussed in an earlier post is also a small group tour and I agree small group tours are much nicer than large coaches.

In reality all those minibuses trek around St P almost in convoy - it's comical really as they all profess to have this 'exclusive' entry to places before the general public and you watch them all lining up vying for position and taking their turns.:D:D

Our P&O tour was actually not that much more expensive than the independant ones.

Thanks for this insight - we’d certainly prefer a small group tour to a large coach group, so helpful info. Thanks v much.

I would suggest that you book with an independent company who will be . Much cheaper & more intimate in that they are smaller groups and entrance to all locations are quicker. The local knowledge and all visa's are organised by them as well.

Thanks for the information - very helpful.

Swindonpete - two local companies Alla and SPB have very good reputations and whereas we haven't used them, we have not heard anything but good about them.

HOWEVER - I have heard that from this year the independent tours will have to wait until the ship's tours have all gone before they can leave. Apparently these are new regulations from the new port managers.

BUT I can only say I have 'heard' this, so it could be fake news lol

Swindonpete - two local companies Alla and SPB have very good reputations and whereas we haven't used them, we have not heard anything but good about them.

HOWEVER - I have heard that from this year the independent tours will have to wait until the ship's tours have all gone before they can leave. Apparently these are new regulations from the new port managers.

Thanks for this information- very helpful as still undecided as to pay a little extra for the P& O tour or go independent!

Have just booked two day St Petersburg small group tour for our Arcadia cruise in August it was showing limited availability so booked it. Very much looking forward to our Baltic Cruise and first trip on Arcadia.

Info is from official port website. However this rule only applies to day 1 of a visit as the passport and visa checks take longer.

Once on the system everything is much quicker.

No doubt once the first ships have visited this year whether the rule is being apllied will become clear. -20 degrees in St Pete’s at the mo, so not many ships in port!

Info is from official port website. However this rule only applies to day 1 of a visit as the passport and visa checks take longer.

Once on the system everything is much quicker.

No doubt once the first ships have visited this year whether the rule is being apllied will become clear. -20 degrees in St Pete’s at the mo, so not many ships in port!

Thanks for clarifying :)

Have just booked two day St Petersburg small group tour for our Arcadia cruise in August it was showing limited availability so booked it. Very much looking forward to our Baltic Cruise and first trip on Arcadia.

Good move, we are looking to the same and book soon. Our first time to the Baltic too.

Which ship you on Swindonpete? Seems strange to book trips before we have paid final balance. My sister did this trip last year with p&o and said it was worth every penny[/quote

Hi sorry to invade your post - I have been researching all the Baltic cruise ports as we are on Britannia in June and as we have never been to any of these destinations I like to get some idea of what "not to miss". I have contacted SPB tours and booked for the 2 full days excursion as recommended on other travel site.

Which ship you on Swindonpete? Seems strange to book trips before we have paid final balance. My sister did this trip last year with p&o and said it was worth every penny

Those 2 day small group tours by P&O were fantastic when we did the Simply St P one the other year. It was full on mind you and we were shattered afterwards, but oh so worth it. And it shows now when we are planning a return and realise just how much we covered!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all - we are off to StPetersburg with P&O this year and wonder if anyone could help us with which of the above 2 tours would be best for us first time in “St Peterburgers” tour choice wise. Thanks for any help /. Guidance you can give.

I recommend www. redsun-tours...The young lady who started it was our guide when we were there, she is superb, sorts visas, entry to all venues (Hermitage /gardens etc) tailors the tour around what you want, EXTREMELY good prices (half the ships), can also do the Ballet and /or Folklore show in the evenings if wanted. I also have her private email address if you want a private tour ie car or minibus. just message me if you want it.

I'd recommend choosing a tour that takes you inside the Church on the Spilled Blood. The outside is impressive enough, but the inside is simply mind-blowing.

Thanks - it's on our list and incl in a tour we've booked. Many thanks

I recommend www. redsun-tours...The young lady who started it was our guide when we were there, she is superb, sorts visas, entry to all venues (Hermitage /gardens etc) tailors the tour around what you want, EXTREMELY good prices (half the ships), can also do the Ballet and /or Folklore show in the evenings if wanted. I also have her private email address if you want a private tour ie car or minibus. just message me if you want it.

Thanks for this info. We will look at our options but will get back to you if we decide to go independent as what you did sounds v good.