Never mind Happy Holidays

britsbest

Not sure how that correlates to wishing someone Merry Christmas??

But being you mentioned it, I DID participate in a Passover sedar dinner "celebration" in religion class in Catholic school. I always thought a celebration was a good thing? Your post makes it sound different?

Not sure how that correlates to wishing someone Merry Christmas??

But being you mentioned it, I DID participate in a Passover sedar dinner "celebration" in religion class in Catholic school. I always thought a celebration was a good thing? Your post makes it sound different?

Because for some reason, there seems to be so much hoopla this year about the political correctness of wishing someone Merry Christmas. It is really easy for someone who celebrates Christmas to not understand what the big deal is, mostly because so many others do as well.

But until you are in the shoes of a person who doesn't celebrate Christmas, it is impossible for you to understand. If the Jewish major holidays, or the Muslim holidays, or whatever other religious holidays were done up so much as Christmas, trust me, you would begin to feel uncomfortable when you can't go anywhere without being completely consumed. We do not live in a religious state, but it turns into one the last two months of the year.

??

Still don't get what you're trying to say.

I worked in a Jewish Grocery chain for 7 years as a highly visible employee. We were proud to carry a selection of fine kosher foods around both major holidays.

Over and over, I was always wished a Happy Passover, or happy new year, and all I took that as was an act of kindness. A sign of peace. A positive well wish.

And they always got a THANK you, without having felt the need to correct them. What do they really care what I am?

I guess it all comes down to how one feels about themselves.

??

Still don't get what you're trying to say.

I worked in a Jewish Grocery chain for 7 years as a highly visible employee. We were proud to carry a selection of fine kosher foods around both major holidays.

Over and over, I was always wished a Happy Passover, or happy new year, and all I took that as was an act of kindness. A sign of peace. A positive well wish.

And they always got a THANK you, without having felt the need to correct them. What do they really care what I am?

I guess it all comes down to how one feels about themselves.

Excellent point.

What the opposite side is saying is that the words "Merry Christmas" should never be spoken in public. How would they feel if Happy Passover was not to be mentioned in public?

Why not just be happy that everyone can celebrate their holiday as freely as they want?

So Happy Passover all! And Merry Christmas too!

"We do not live in a religious state, but it turns into one the last two months of the year"

I see months of shopping ads for Christmas that's true - I see very little that is actually outwardly religious - but I guess if just the word Christmas is offensive, then any celebration by any group would also have to be offensive (to someone).

I tend to say "Happy Holidays" to people I don't know because I'm aware not everyone celebrates Christmas, but if someone wishes me a Happy Passover I'm certainly not going to be offended by it.

I'm sure none of you would be happy if your kid came home from school telling you how he had to participate in a Jewish New Year celebration in class that day, would you?

Have to add a "huh?" to this one too. This thread is about something very simple about wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" on Christmas Day. (go fugure)

I didn't see anything on this thread about forcing people to learn other religions.

Happy Passover and Merry Christmas!

Excellent point.

What the opposite side is saying is that the words "Merry Christmas" should never be spoken in public. How would they feel if Happy Passover was not to be mentioned in public?

Why not just be happy that everyone can celebrate their holiday as freely as they want?

So Happy Passover all! And Merry Christmas too!

That is not what the 'opposite side' is saying. There is no opposite side, there are a multitude of sides.

The debate on this board is taking place within a larger context. The vast majority of people believe an individual should feel free to wish someone a Merry Christmas, just as the OP did. And many, including myself, choose to say Happy Holidays instead. IMHO, both are up to individual choice, and both are fine.

However, to label me as too "politically correct" really makes me angry. Such labels are an attempt to classify a person's choices (and therefore the person) as undesirable.

It in no way diminishes my Christian beliefs to acknoweldge that my unknown neighbor may not see the world the same way I do, and therefore I choose to give a more generic greeting.

Within the national context, there is a movement among some Christian groups to chastise employees and corporations that, in order to adapt to a diverse clientele, instruct greeters and clerks to wish customers "Happy Holidays." It's that movement by the Christian right that strikes me as highly offensive and self-righteous, not people like the OP who said what was in her heart on Christmas day. And that national debate has colored this local debate. Honestly, I'm tired of some Christian groups trying to define for me a single way of being a Christian.

If you individually want to wish every Jew, Muslim, athiest, agnostic, and Christian a Merry Christmas - please do so. I think it's terrific, especially if it's meant with love and a desire to share your personal excitment about the holiday you (and I) choose to celebrate. But don't pigeon hole me because I have a different view of the world and I make different choices. Don't try to isolate me as part of the "politically correct" and the "thought police." This debate loses its integrity when such labels are thrown about. Such an ad hominum argument is really the weakest of arguments, and it reflects poorly on those who use it.

I hope none of us are arguing that there is only one right way to greet each other in December. It's all up to individuals in the context of their personal life, and it's up to employers in the context of customer relations.

SeaTeacher:

You have it all wrong. It has been a decade of The "C" word being a dirty thing to say. It is wrong to eliminate the words "Merry Christmas" from the media, our schools, our communities and our department stores. Whoever started the politically correct "Happy Holidays" to the exclusion of Merry Christmas offends many of us. (Are we allowed to be offended--or is that just for those who don't celebrate Christmas?) I think I speak for almost all Christians when I say we embrace Hanukkah and Kwanza being enthusiastically acknowledged as well. But, you can't remove "Christmas" as if the word doesn't exist.

Cruisecritic police: Go ahead and erase this post. It's obvious your opinion differs from mine, and God forbid you give equal time to both sides of this issue. But, if you erase mine, please do the same to SeaTeacher's.

:mad: (SeaTeacher thows his hands up with disgust.)

Now I "have it all wrong." Nothing in my post you agree with, huh? Nothing of value?

Well, now I regret my small part in this debate. Through my participation I feel cheap. Serves me right. I'll try to learn a lesson from this thread. Getting drawn into this debate was definetely a newbie mistake.

SeaTeacher:

I think I speak for almost all Christians when I say we embrace Hanukkah and Kwanza being enthusiastically acknowledged as well. But, you can't remove "Christmas" as if the word doesn't exist.

...tell me what you know about Hanukkah. Why do you embrace Hanukkah, why did you pick that Jewish holiday over others?

That is not what the 'opposite side' is saying. There is no opposite side, there are a multitude of sides.

The debate on this board is taking place within a larger context. The vast majority of people believe an individual should feel free to wish someone a Merry Christmas, just as the OP did. And many, including myself, choose to say Happy Holidays instead. IMHO, both are up to individual choice, and both are fine.

However, to label me as too "politically correct" really makes me angry. Such labels are an attempt to classify a person's choices (and therefore the person) as undesirable.

It in no way diminishes my Christian beliefs to acknoweldge that my unknown neighbor may not see the world the same way I do, and therefore I choose to give a more generic greeting.

Within the national context, there is a movement among some Christian groups to chastise employees and corporations that, in order to adapt to a diverse clientele, instruct greeters and clerks to wish customers "Happy Holidays." It's that movement by the Christian right that strikes me as highly offensive and self-righteous, not people like the OP who said what was in her heart on Christmas day. And that national debate has colored this local debate. Honestly, I'm tired of some Christian groups trying to define for me a single way of being a Christian.

If you individually want to wish every Jew, Muslim, athiest, agnostic, and Christian a Merry Christmas - please do so. I think it's terrific, especially if it's meant with love and a desire to share your personal excitment about the holiday you (and I) choose to celebrate. But don't pigeon hole me because I have a different view of the world and I make different choices. Don't try to isolate me as part of the "politically correct" and the "thought police." This debate loses its integrity when such labels are thrown about. Such an ad hominum argument is really the weakest of arguments, and it reflects poorly on those who use it.

I hope none of us are arguing that there is only one right way to greet each other in December. It's all up to individuals in the context of their personal life, and it's up to employers in the context of customer relations.

It's this kind of defensive, sanitized, let's be tolerant to all except those we don't like response that has turned this world upside down. Don't you realize that this debate would not even be happening if so many would stop taking Christmas out of the season? This season would not be a season if it were not for Christmas! I appreciate the attempt to be all inclusive but let's get real here. Stores are not having a Kwanza blowout sale or a post Thanksgiving Hanukkah sale. In no way am I minimizing those holidays but I again stress that the "reason for the season" is Jesus and what He represents and thus the MAJORITY of US citizens celebrate Christmas. I don't think anyone has a problem with an individual expressing "Happy Holidays" or any other greeting. It's when it is force fed from their corporation that they CANNOT say Merry Christmas.

Why is it perfectly okay for you to call out the "Christian Right" as offensive and self righteous but if anyone disagrees with you then they are intolerant? I don't get it. You are saying that it is not two sided? You have to be kidding me. This has turned into a "let's be tolerant of all things sans Christianity -- or at least the brand that the majority subscribes to". My work is a perfect example of that. They explain each little holiday that comes and goes for just about every religion out there but when Christian holidays show up, we hear nothing.

I am the same way when it comes to a greeting from anyone else -- if it's heart felt "Happy Hanukkah" or any other holiday greeting, I will accept it warmly and ask that others do the same if I wish them a "Merry Christmas". Isn't it sad that there may be (or might be already) a day where someone can be fired for making such a warm greeting?

Forgive the "Christian Right" for getting upset with others trying to shut them up. It's a two way street. The squeaky wheel has been getting the grease for way too long now. Watch out cuz we're starting to squeak!

I am the same way when it comes to a greeting from anyone else -- if it's heart felt "Happy Hanukkah" or any other holiday greeting, I will accept it warmly and ask that others do the same if I wish them a "Merry Christmas". Isn't it sad that there may be (or might be already) a day where someone can be fired for making such a warm greeting?

...again, I have to ask, WHY does EVERYONE choose Hanukkah when comparing religious holidays to Christmas?

Someone please answer.

Sblahars, surely it is obvious why Chanukah is always bought up during this type of discussion, it's because it is at approximately the same time as Christmas, this year in fact we lit our first candle on the evening of December 25th.

I work in a front line position in a public library in a very multi-ethnic area. We all wish everyone EVERYTHING all year. I sit there with my star of David round my neck being wished all sorts of greetings, fine by me, but it is only at Christmas that we decorate the whole library, holly, stars, tree, the works and that is how it should be, we live in a Christian country. Just seems like common sense to me! On that happy note may I wish everyone a very happy and healthy New Year!:D

Sue

...again, I have to ask, WHY does EVERYONE choose Hanukkah when comparing religious holidays to Christmas?

Someone please answer.

I'll answer too. Because the topic is infered as to what to say this time of year. It would be silly to wish greetings of one of the religious Jewish Holidays.

And please don't say everyone. I earlier, comparing religious holidays, never mentioned Hanukkah.

Happy new year!

Someone please answer.

I'll answer my own question. The reason is that everyone just figures that Hanukkah is the most important Jewish holiday because it happens to be the same time as Christmas. In fact, alot of people think it IS Jewish Christmas.

What is offensive to me is WHY is that the ONLY Jewish holiday non-Jews wish me to have a happy holiday? It is almost as if they feel they need to "throw a bone" at me to shut me up or something when they really know nothing.

Archived