For US Passengers..... Credit Card Pin Controversy

lcpagejr

When the Seaside first set sail...I recalling reading several posts stating the Kiosk would also ask for a pin# when setting up your onboard credit card account. In the US... we use a pin# to access cash...not as part of purchase.

As I have not seen any recent mention of this...I have to assume its no longer a issue for US passengers. However it did draw my curiousity and I contact one of my Credit Card companies and received the following response to my question about the potential need of a pin# for use on our upcoming cruise...

"Many European merchants have Chip-and-PIN-enabled Point-of-Transaction Terminals whereby customers using a new PIN-preferred chip card are to enter their Personal Identification Number (PIN) when making transactions. However, international visitors to Europe who do not have the PIN-preferred chip card are unaffected by merchants using the new PIN-preferred terminals."

I know we have similar technology for debit cards.... but its not widespread for Credit Card use/purchases. Looks like this will not be a issue for US passengers

We use chip and pin extensively in Canada. If you have a pin for your card you should be able to use it if asked by the terminal. It should not be considered as a cash advance. If this does not work then swipe your card. If that does not work then customer service will help.

Thank you