How to best plan a family cruise (drink packages...)?

Muerz

We have a small family cruise coming up and we have a small problem as to how to best book cabins in order not to overpay for packages we won't use. There's a total of 6 people traveling and out of these six we have two that strictly don't drink. Problem is that they won't share a cabin.

Cabin 1: Grandpa and Grandma (grandma doesn't drink)

Cabin 2: Daughter and Husband (daughter doesn't drink)

Cabin 3: Son and Girlfriend (they all drink)

Considering these two don't drink, we would be much better off booking a guarantee room for them and buy a dining package separately for them and saving more than 500$ at the same time.

How would we best do this? Simply book two cabins with package, one without and swap the passengers aboard? Ask for supplementary cabin keys and do the change without their knowledge?

Thanks in advance for your help!

That's what I would do. Just book it the way that gets you the drinks package for those that drink, and then switch stateroom cards around once checked in. It might only be an issue if someone wants to buy something on board, and when entering and leaving the ship LOL, as their photo will show on security screen.

Will be a major pain.

Alternatively, you can get drinks package even on those who don't drink and ask to use their card on board at the bars.

This might be the better option. Much easier than first way of doing it.

Good luck, Major PITA.

That's what I would do. Just book it the way that gets you the drinks package for those that drink, and then switch stateroom cards around once checked in. It might only be an issue if someone wants to buy something on board, and when entering and leaving the ship LOL, as their photo will show on security screen.

Will be a major pain.

Alternatively, you can get drinks package even on those who don't drink and ask to use their card on board at the bars.

This might be the better option. Much easier than first way of doing it.

Good luck, Major PITA.

I would be curious to know if, when the bartender swipes your card with the drink package, your photo shows up. If it does, trading cards could result in a very bad situation like being asked to leave the ship at the next port. I can't believe that using someone elses card isn't something that NCL has not prepared for.

I would be curious to know if, when the bartender swipes your card with the drink package, your photo shows up. If it does, trading cards could result in a very bad situation like being asked to leave the ship at the next port. I can't believe that using someone elses card isn't something that NCL has not prepared for.

Yes, don't switch cards! Instead, ask for extra room keys for the 2 rooms, and one person from each room (the ones who are not sleeping in the cabin they are booked in) will need to carry 2 cards -- one as their room key and one to use for charging, getting on/off ship, etc.

If you are booking people into cabins they won't actually be staying in, keep in mind that all purchases made on board will be charged to that cabin. So, for example, Grandma's spa or gift shop charges would go on the bill of the cabin she's actually registered in and not the one she is sharing with grandpa. It can end up being a huge hassle.

I'd just keep people where they go, even if you can't benefit 100% from the promos. Not everyone always can.