Need some quick advice NCL Breakaway or NCL Star transatlantic Copenhagen to NYC

goodluckman66

I have about 2 hours to decide and pay the non-refundable deposit.Here are my concerns:

weather in Oct - Breakaway - Copenhagen to NYC

weather in Dec -Star - Barcelona to Tampa, FL

Will one month be much colder than than other?

Is the ocean very violent in these months?

On a transatlantic do they still give good service like on a vacation cruise?

Any help will be appreciated

A northern Transatlantic can be cold, damp and rough even in the middle of summer--as mine from Southampton to NYC in August was. To many regulars that is the attraction of it.

I have taken the Southern route from Venice to Ft Lauderdale in December and while not sunny it was still mild and relatively pleasant.

I also took an eastbound TA (Miami to Dover) on the very same Norwegian Star. It was very sedate, outdoor activities far fewer than on a tropical cruise. Transatlantics are for seasoned cruisers who are equally content with either the regular indoor cruise entertainment or many hours and days of entertaining themselves. Without knowing your cruise history (have you sailed only megaships? or any cruises on relatively small by today's standards ships such as the Star? other lines besides NCL?) it is hard to analyze what I presume to be your first TA in the context of your previous experience.

To be more specific to your question about "good service" know that there is usually high crew turnover right before and after a repo cruise. A large number of new crew just boarding, an equal number of crew whose contract finishes at the end of the TA. With a captive audience due to six or seven (or more) consecutive sea days you will notice higher demand for dining, shows and other services/activities at peak times. Your cabin steward also has to work around everyone's breakfast and dinner times rather than have port days when most cabins will be empty much of the day. I am not saying the crew will not do their usual best, just that you should understand they are working maximum allowable hours for a week and a half straight--no port days with a few hours off.

Thank you so much for bringing into reality!

My cruising experience is very limited just 2 short cruises 3 and 5 days and I was responsible for 2 people which did not give me much time to relax. The weather and the ocean is a concern as I live in Thailand and it's pretty warm here even in the rainy season.

My attraction to a 14 day redepositing cruise was the price obviously and just time to relax and read and do whatever I want! With the very long flying time from Bangkok to Copenhagen or Barcelona a 7 day cruise would not be long enough. Flight to these cities with Norwegian Air are very reasonable. But from Miami or New York it can be very costly. It looks to me with limited knowledge that the real deals are from Florida and maybe a back to back cruise might work?

I am just trying to learn how to buy a cruise like a pro.

I really appreciate your advice now I know what to do.

Thank you

This is good to know. I see you like RC. Do you have a favorite ship> I am going on Voyager of the seas in Sept. 5 days Singapore and back, we live in Thailand. I wish flying was not so hard and expensive to Florida as I see some great deals on cruises there.

Thanks for your reply really enjoying the

comradery

from everyone