Opinions please! Hampton Inn Ybor with kids/grandparents 1 night pre-cruise?

Hello all!

I've spent a solid hour perusing the Tampa hotel threads and Tripadvisor, and I'm still a little confused... :p

We've never sailed out of Tampa, but I need two rooms for one night for our spring break sailing (coming up in a few weeks)!

So far, I'm leaning towards the Hampton Inn Ybor City. I'd love your opinion on whether or not this is a good choice? So far I'm leaning towards this because:

*Excellent Tripadvisor reviews

*Budget-friendly

*Free Breakfast

*Free shuttle to cruise port

How about the area? Is it safe to walk around at night and find a family-friendly restaurant for dinner? And perhaps a store to pick up some wine to take onboard?

I also considered the Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport/Westshore, but the Tripadvisor reviews are much lower, they were really rude when I called to ask a couple of questions, and despite some of the reviews on here, they don't provide a port shuttle...

If there's somewhere else I should consider, I'd appreciate your input! Ideally trying to stay under $150/night.

Thank you!

***Also considering attempting to Priceline a 4* and keep my fingers crossed for somewhere like the Le Meridien? Any input on this? Thanks!

With kids and grandparents I would look at hotels in the Rocky Point area - most include shuttles to the airport and port. We enjoyed Chase Suites, but there are several others including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

With kids and grandparents I would look at hotels in the Rocky Point area - most include shuttles to the airport and port. We enjoyed Chase Suites, but there are several others including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

Thank you! The hotels in Rocky Point are pricing out about $100 more! Worth it?! Is Ybor city dangerous?

After dark Ybor is not very kid friendly. It’s mostly bars and night clubs. If you are only planning on an early dinner, or may be ok. I recommend looking to see if Amy pub crawls or event weekends are planned. If so, steer clear. The hotel will be overrun by drinking. I live close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After dark Ybor is not very kid friendly. It’s mostly bars and night clubs. If you are only planning on an early dinner' date=' or may be ok. I recommend looking to see if Amy pub crawls or event weekends are planned. If so, steer clear. The hotel will be overrun by drinking. I live close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

Thanks so much, this is good to know! I couldn't find any planned for the weekend we are there...But I'm also considering the Courtyard by Marriot downtown (near the river walk). The reviews on Tripadvisor are much lower, but perhaps this would be a better location?

We stay at the Hampton in Ybor city 2-3 times each year. I agree that the areas can get a bit "adult" in the evening As noted, an early dinner will be fine. There is small but nice pool . They have a nice breakfast, and a free shuttle to the port. Staff is friendly . They have a shuttle van that may be able to take you to the channel side area for free. You can spend time there the evening prior to the cruise .

Enjoy

M