1st Time Cruise Alaska - Motion Sickness - Any Non Boat Land Excursions

janieg40

What options does a person have on a cruise to Alaska with limitations?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What options does a person have on a cruise to Alaska with limitations?

• Is staying in the Verandah Balcony on Holland American a bad idea if you have motion sickness?
    • Are there any land excursions that don't involve small boats or aircraft?
    • Are there any land excursions where you can see whales?
    • Do they have shuttle/bus excursions?

1st time post...

Our 1st time cruise for 25th Anniversary on HollandAmerica's Eurodam May 12-20.

I've done a lot of research on this website for 1st time cruisers and elsewhere. However, after original thought of a Baltic cruise or riverboat I felt that an ALASKAN cruise would be relaxed and scenic with not so much walking.

Nevertheless, I didn't take into consideration so many excursions would be on small boats and airplanes, as my husband gets motion sickness. In addition, a good friend suggested we get a balcony cabin in the very back for better views. Now I'm wondering if this was a very bad idea for the motion sickness as well.

So my question to anyone is do you know of any excursions in Alaska in the town's if Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and in Victoria, Cananada that would have land excursions...not involving small boats, aircraft or major hiking. I'd really love to see whales but guess you can't do that from shore. We're really good with shuttle and/or buss type tours and even staying on the big ship an extra day if we have to. I was even wondering about waiting until we get to each port to see about an excursion if I knew if what to ask for?🤔

ANY SUGGESTIONS and/or Help is greatly appreciated!!😊

Jane

Mendenhall Glacier is great. I did the Glacier/Garden tour that did include a buggy ride up a mountain, but it’s land based. I carry Bonine chewables and dose it as I need it. His seasickness kit can also include ginger candy and a little bottle of -I think- motion eze. It’s aromatherapy from Walmart. Lemon ginger tea bags are good. Green apples help. Staring at the horizon is very helpful. Sea bands help some. I was at the very front of the MSC Divina due to a room mix-up. I was fine there, and I get seasick just thinking about it. The Bonine is my true friend when I cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mendenhall Glacier is great. I did the Glacier/Garden tour that did include a buggy ride up a mountain, but it’s land based. I carry Bonine chewables and dose it as I need it. His seasickness kit can also include ginger candy and a little bottle of -I think- motion eze. It’s aromatherapy from Walmart. Lemon ginger tea bags are good. Green apples help. Staring at the horizon is very helpful. Sea bands help some. I was at the very front of the MSC Divina due to a room mix-up. I was fine there, and I get seasick just thinking about it. The Bonine is my true friend when I cruise.

Thank you for the speedy reply.

The buggy ride sounds fun. We both ride Harleys so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. The glacier and gardens sound really nice.

Thanks for the tips on motion sickness. Very helpful.

So I'm wondering if our room might be fine if he looks out onto the horizon from the back of the boat. Maybe it would be a good thing?!

Did you buy the Mendenhal Glacier from ship? That is an option.

I hope you aren't disappointed with the various opinions that you seem to be attached to. Ruling out small boat excursions or small plane excursions may severely limit the Alaskan experience.

Consider the following:

1. Except for your first and last day you will sail in protected waters....not unlike a farm pond.

2. Whale watching trips are often best in Juneau and they, too, are in protected waters.

3. You will see whales from the ship....but it will not be as awesome as taking an excursion.

4. Land trips are also great....in Ketchikan you can take a city bus to one of the Totem venues. Skagway, choose one of the offerings that include the White Pass Railway.

Thank you for the speedy reply.

The buggy ride sounds fun. We both ride Harleys so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. The glacier and gardens sound really nice.

Thanks for the tips on motion sickness. Very helpful.

So I'm wondering if our room might be fine if he looks out onto the horizon from the back of the boat. Maybe it would be a good thing?!

Did you buy the Mendenhal Glacier from ship? That is an option.

Yes. We bought the Glacier and gardens tour through Royal Caribbean. We were on the Radiance in July 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The large catamarans of Allen Marine (booked through cruiseline) will provide a nice stable experience for whale-watching out of Juneau. Almost certainly much less bouncy a ride than the ship itself will have on first & last day at sea. If his motion sickness is really a concern, consider changing cruise to a Vancouver RT...

Sitka is an absolute goldmine of land-based sights - historic buildings from when it was Russian (the archbishops residence is the key site), fortress of the bear, alaska raptor center, salmon hatchery.

Ketchikan also has tons of land options - just wandering around on foot you can easily spend the day in town (the Totem Heritage Center and SE Alaska Discovery Center are very interesting, the lumberjack show is cheesy but you might enjoy), Saxman Village and Totem Bight are easily visited by bus.

Victoria likewise - other than a whalewatch or if you chose to take the local watertaxis all your touring potential is on land, with Butchart Gardens the most well-known draw in the area. Unfortunately with your late arrival and short time in port, a cruiseline excursion will be the only viable way to see Butchart - and sunset will happen while you're at the gardens, reducing quality of the viewing experience. Unless you're never coming back I'd skip it, and instead just enjoy walking around downtown - some beautiful buildings are lit up at night, there are evening carriage rides if you want a romantic experience, and plenty of pubs if you just want to get liquored up at Canadian prices;-)

Even if you don't plan to come back, rather than see Butchart at night consider leaving the cruise early in Victoria and overnighting in a hotel, doing Butchart properly next day, and taking the Clipper back to Seattle or just flying home from Victoria (assuming you have more than just the birth cert & driving license that the current RT Seattle trip needs of course - a real passport/EDL/passport card/NEXUS would be needed depending how you cross the border).

I rented Green Jeep in Skagway. It was great, they have a Cd you listen to and we drove up to Emerald Lake at our leisure. We than drove around town just looking, picked up what we needed at stores than returned the Jeep. You can see the White Pass RR all the way up.

The large catamarans of Allen Marine (booked through cruiseline) will provide a nice stable experience for whale-watching out of Juneau. Almost certainly much less bouncy a ride than the ship itself will have on first & last day at sea. If his motion sickness is really a concern, consider changing cruise to a Vancouver RT...

Sitka is an absolute goldmine of land-based sights - historic buildings from when it was Russian (the archbishops residence is the key site), fortress of the bear, alaska raptor center, salmon hatchery.

Ketchikan also has tons of land options - just wandering around on foot you can easily spend the day in town (the Totem Heritage Center and SE Alaska Discovery Center are very interesting, the lumberjack show is cheesy but you might enjoy), Saxman Village and Totem Bight are easily visited by bus.

Victoria likewise - other than a whalewatch or if you chose to take the local watertaxis all your touring potential is on land, with Butchart Gardens the most well-known draw in the area. Unfortunately with your late arrival and short time in port, a cruiseline excursion will be the only viable way to see Butchart - and sunset will happen while you're at the gardens, reducing quality of the viewing experience. Unless you're never coming back I'd skip it, and instead just enjoy walking around downtown - some beautiful buildings are lit up at night, there are evening carriage rides if you want a romantic experience, and plenty of pubs if you just want to get liquored up at Canadian prices;-)

Even if you don't plan to come back, rather than see Butchart at night consider leaving the cruise early in Victoria and overnighting in a hotel, doing Butchart properly next day, and taking the Clipper back to Seattle or just flying home from Victoria (assuming you have more than just the birth cert & driving license that the current RT Seattle trip needs of course - a real passport/EDL/passport card/NEXUS would be needed depending how you cross the border).

Wow! MARTINCATH.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

ALL GREAT IDEAS. I might look into the stay in Victoria and fly from there.

Sounds like there is plenty to do in Sitka and Ketchikan as well.

I'm really looking forward to our trip now.

I have a much better feel now with having opinions from people having experienced it themselves.

😊😃

I sometimes get prone to motion sickness, so on my Alaska cruise, I would take Bonine at night. I started probably a week before (only because we did a DIY land vacation prior with excursions that I thought might get me a little motion sick) and never had a problem. Plus, even though it says "non-drowsy" I still get drowsy so it helped me sleep really well.

Because of it, I was able to go white water rafting, on an ATV excursion, ride a shuttle bus (think school bus) into Denali park, take a Kenai Fjords cruise, go flight seeing, and do a whale watch excursion on a boat that only holds 7 people max! If you anticipate a problem and stay ahead of it, you might not have to rule out a whale watching excursion.

Enjoy Alaska - it is absolutely gorgeous.

I get sea sick. And I love aft balconies. I use Sea Bands - acupressure bracelets- and bonine when the ocean is getting rough or when I know I'm going to be on a small boat.

Just plan for it, and your husband can have a fantastic time without being sick.

I get sea sick. And I love aft balconies. I use Sea Bands - acupressure bracelets- and bonine when the ocean is getting rough or when I know I'm going to be on a small boat.

Just plan for it' date=' and your husband can have a fantastic time without being sick.[/quote']

Thanks so much!

I sometimes get prone to motion sickness, so on my Alaska cruise, I would take Bonine at night. I started probably a week before (only because we did a DIY land vacation prior with excursions that I thought might get me a little motion sick) and never had a problem. Plus, even though it says "non-drowsy" I still get drowsy so it helped me sleep really well.

Because of it, I was able to go white water rafting, on an ATV excursion, ride a shuttle bus (think school bus) into Denali park, take a Kenai Fjords cruise, go flight seeing, and do a whale watch excursion on a boat that only holds 7 people max! If you anticipate a problem and stay ahead of it, you might not have to rule out a whale watching excursion.

Enjoy Alaska - it is absolutely gorgeous.

That's a really good idea to try it a week ahead of time and help with sleep is always good. If he could take it each night and get it into his system, perhaps during the day he won't be tired but it will still be effective. And I'm gonna check into the bracelets as well.

Thanks a lot.

I too am looking forward to the AFT cabin.

I'm so grateful for your helpful suggestions!!:D😃

That's a really good idea to try it a week ahead of time and help with sleep is always good. If he could take it each night and get it into his system, perhaps during the day he won't be tired but it will still be effective. And I'm gonna check into the bracelets as well.

Thanks a lot.

I too am looking forward to the AFT cabin.

I'm so grateful for your helpful suggestions!!:D😃

Once it was in my system, daytime was normal with no drowsy side effects for me but no motion sickness either. Our cabin was more midship, but I'll have my first aft in Sept. 2019 so I can't wait to see if that helps too.

Once it was in my system, daytime was normal with no drowsy side effects for me but no motion sickness either. Our cabin was more midship, but I'll have my first aft in Sept. 2019 so I can't wait to see if that helps too.

Thanks for confirming that. Was wondering if you felt good during the day after taking at night.

Yes. Hoping AFT will be enjoyable!!

Looking forward to nice views during day on boat while looking a glaciers!!

I never start Bonine ahead of the cruise. I have it with me and take a half of one with dinner the first night. On sea days I take half each morning. Then I add as necessary. Too much does make me drowsy. I took 2 whole tabs on a Fjord tour through the Gulf of Alaska.

Thanks for confirming that. Was wondering if you felt good during the day after taking at night.

Yes. Hoping AFT will be enjoyable!!

Looking forward to nice views during day on boat while looking a glaciers!!

Have your husband just experiment. What worked for me (female) might not work for him. If he can start before the cruise and then adjust as necessary while on the cruise or before if he can.

1st time post...

Our 1st time cruise for 25th Anniversary on HollandAmerica's Eurodam May 12-20.

I've done a lot of research on this website for 1st time cruisers and elsewhere. However, after original thought of a Baltic cruise or riverboat I felt that an ALASKAN cruise would be relaxed and scenic with not so much walking.

Nevertheless, I didn't take into consideration so many excursions would be on small boats and airplanes, as my husband gets motion sickness. In addition, a good friend suggested we get a balcony cabin in the very back for better views. Now I'm wondering if this was a very bad idea for the motion sickness as well.

So my question to anyone is do you know of any excursions in Alaska in the town's if Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and in Victoria, Cananada that would have land excursions...not involving small boats, aircraft or major hiking. I'd really love to see whales but guess you can't do that from shore. We're really good with shuttle and/or buss type tours and even staying on the big ship an extra day if we have to. I was even wondering about waiting until we get to each port to see about an excursion if I knew if what to ask for?[emoji848]

ANY SUGGESTIONS and/or Help is greatly appreciated!![emoji4]

Jane

Lots of great ideas here. In Victoria, if your time is limited there is much to see just in and around the port area. Parliament buildings, and grounds as well as the Empress Hotel. It’s a look back into history. Very regal. Lovely afternoon tea if you’re in port long enough. It’s bookable (is that even a word?) online.

If you use Dramamine, there are 3 different types: Regular is Benadryl. Less Drowsy is Bonine/meclizine. Non-Drowsy is ginger.

Thanks for letting me know if the different types . I did not know that. Very helpful. Thanks so much!!😊