Need input on Princess Southeast Asia cruise

Jadeone

I am looking at a 20 day cruise in November/December on Princess Sapphire called Southeast Asia grand adventure.

Anyone recommend it? Hate it? The reviews I've read talk mostly about the ship. Did you feel the ports and itinerary were worthwhile? Excursions? And if you traveled in the winter, what was it like?

TIA, Jadeone

Good point. Here is the itinerary:

Singapore

Bali (Benoa), Indonesia

Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia

Penang, Malaysia

Phuket, Thailand

Singapore

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My), Vietnam

Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

Ko Samui, Thailand

Singapore

Good point. Here it is.

Singapore

Bali (Benoa), Indonesia

Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia

Penang, Malaysia

Phuket, Thailand

Singapore

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Nha Trang, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City (Phu My), Vietnam

Bangkok (Laem Chabang), Thailand

Ko Samui, Thailand

Singapore

I am looking at a 20 day cruise in November/December on Princess Sapphire called Southeast Asia grand adventure.

Anyone recommend it? Hate it? The reviews I've read talk mostly about the ship. Did you feel the ports and itinerary were worthwhile? Excursions? And if you traveled in the winter, what was it like?

TIA, Jadeone

You will get more responses if you post this on the Princess board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197.

Cannot comment on Bali since we have not been there. In Thailand Phuket and Koh Samui are very touristy. We have spent four winters in Thailand and we avoid both. Arrange some boat tours out to the islands and caves in both locales. In town it is the usual trash, trinkets, bars, etc. You will dock about 2 hours outside of Bangkok. In the ship is overnighting get a hotel in Bangkok for the night.

Penang is a great stop. Very interesting. Same for KL and Singapore. Easier transport into KL

Viet Nam is another matter. You really need to understand where you are docking vs where the sights that you want to visit are. Road travel is SLOW. You might spent half of your time in transit. Best way to see Vietnam is by land.

This winter we started in Singapore in mid Jan. We are currently in southern Thailand. Weather has been perfect, just as it was during our other Jan-March trips. Northern Vietnamcan be cooler so better to work south to north if you are going in January. Also, this is not the best time to visit Halong Bay. Our host on Ko Lanta, an island south of Phuket told us that this past early Jan was rainier than usual and that this has been the trend over the past few years. We have always missed it.

Bottom line for us? We like cruising but think Thailand and Vietnam is much better done by land. hence in four years we have never bothered with a cruise. This should be viewed with the understanding that we do a fair amount of independent travel and are quite used to making, and changing midstream when necessary, our travel arrangements.

Edited by iancal