Muster Drill Life Jackets

Jeter02

Yeah....I agree that the drills have gotten entirely too lax. You are asked to try on your life jacket in your stateroom and ask for assistance if needed. How often do yo suppose passengers really do that?

The phrase that springs to mind is "Evolution in action". :(

We were on the Crown in November & December last year and no life vests at Muster. I also noticed that the crew is approaching people on their phones, chatting, etc. to pay attention. The one thing I did not care for is the "Safety Song" they play now to the theme of the "Love Boat". Just seemed very tacky, IMHO.

I can vouch for the number of passengers who have put their lifejackets on incorrectly, to the point where the lifejacket, instead of turning an unconscious person face up in the water, will force a conscious person's face down into the water.

I drag a lifejacket to drill every week, 26 weeks a year, for 42 years. Even though we know we will never use it, because we take our immersion suits to drill as well, and the immersion suit gives a far better chance of survival than the lifejacket, but the lifejacket is required by law. However, our lifejackets are properly stowed with the straps tied off, in a manner that allows quick donning by anyone of any size. My professional opinion is that not taking lifejackets to drill by passengers is a mistake, and the drill should include everyone putting them on, and then being instructed in how to stow the jacket properly, and not letting anyone go from drill until their jacket is properly stowed to prevent the tripping hazard of dangling straps. But that would merely inflame 99% of cruisers, so it will never happen.

I think that is also an issue. I am amazed how many people let the straps drag and do not pay attention as they are walking. I see nothing wrong in bringing the life jacket to the muster station and refresh my memory on how to put it on. Guess I will be doing that afterwards.

We did not take vest on the Royal in Feb and I like that Yes we did try on in the cabin and adjust the straps. I also have a go bag with RX flashlight and whistle just in case. we sailed 2 days after the costa tragedy and that Muster lasted almost a hour.

we take the safety serious but I do love the new love boat song

I think that is also an issue. I am amazed how many people let the straps drag and do not pay attention as they are walking. I see nothing wrong in bringing the life jacket to the muster station and refresh my memory on how to put it on. Guess I will be doing that afterwards.

As a bit of a stickler for safety, I actually check to make sure we have vests in the room when we first enter.

As for the love bout theme, even if it is taky, anything to make it stick. If they are humming it on the way out, it did its job.

We did not take vest on the Royal in Feb and I like that Yes we did try on in the cabin and adjust the straps. I also have a go bag with RX flashlight and whistle just in case. we sailed 2 days after the costa tragedy and that Muster lasted almost a hour.

we take the safety serious but I do love the new love boat song

Go bag, good to see others doing this. We have a block of safety items (flashlight, first aid kit, etc) and electronic support items in our suit case when stored so it always goes with us. Hotels have problems also.

The cost to the cruise lines from "dragging the life jacket to muster" is expensive. .

Do you have a link to any statistics supporting this claim?

Other than on the Ectasy, I have never noticed any wear and tear on a life jacket that I brought to a muster drill.

Yeah....I agree that the drills have gotten entirely too lax. You are asked to try on your life jacket in your stateroom and ask for assistance if needed. How often do yo suppose passengers really do that?

I DO realize' date=' with 35+ cruises to date, that dragging the life vests to the drill and back is a bit of a pain. And in all those cruises, we've never had a situation where we were told report to the muster station for a real situation. But the drill needs to be taken seriously. It is time to shut mouths and listen to the instructions being given. And to know where the life vest is and how to put it on if necessary.

I see too much being a hoop that they must jump thru rather than a potentially life saving issue.[/quote']

Sorry to disagree but how about taking some responsibility for your own safety.

There's only 2 things to know. Where to go & how to put on your jacket and after a number of cruises listening to the same speech time after time gets monotonous.

If that presents a problem for some folks, they've got other problems that can't be solved by the cruise line instructions.