Tentative Plan for Rome

StanleyandGus

I have never been to Rome. I am travelling with my husband, brother and 3 adult children, plus a boyfriend. I guess they trust me, because every time I ask what people want to do, the answer is that they will do what I do!

I am turning to my Cruise Critic friends for advice!

We have 4 days in Rome before the cruise.

Day 1: our flight lands at 11:00. We are staying at Albergo Abruzzi, next to the Pantheon. I thought for that day, we could explore outside- Trevi fountain, Piazza Navona, the outside of the Vatican etc.

Day 2: possibly the Galleria Borghese (09:00 to 11:00) with a picnic outside after. At 13:45 we have a Walks of Rome tour of the Coliseum, which should last until 18:00.

Day 3: my husband and I think we will come back to Rome, and we will visit the Vatican museum and St Peter’s then. The kids may want to visit the Vatican.

I really want to see the Appian Way. My tentative plan is to take the metro for a picnic in Aqueduct Park, go see the tomb of Caecilia Metella, the Appian Way ( this will be on Friday, and I know it’s in use as a road),

the Domine quo Vadis Church, the Museum of the Walls, and the Baths of Caracalla. I’m not sure about catacombs. There will be buses involved, I think.

Is this realistic?

Day 4: hopefully, the Domus Aurea, as well as anything we didn’t get a good look at in the Forum area.

Any advice or comments are welcome! This is for September, so I’ll have time to change things around.

I think you are the first person I have ever seen on CC suggesting visit to Villa Borghese. I spent a summer 40 years ago at the British School in Rome which is close. Loved the gardens. But my comment is that having spent 5 weeks in Rome with a professor as a guide I still did not see everything I should have. Your plan sounds like a good balance of seeing the highlights plus stuff like picnics to make the stay memorable. Hope you have a great time.

I think your plan sounds lovely! I'm anticipating our trip in July -- I haven't been back for almost 10 years. But the Borghese Gallery was a highlight of our last trip -- I definitely recommend it.

And your plan to walk around outside to get some natural light and acclimatize to the time zone is a good one, although I would definitely plan out a route before you go. (Occasionally we've gotten a little over-ambitious on our first day walks and realized, at the end, that we have to walk *back*. You may find the Vatican a bit of a stroll, for example.)

I don't think you'll have any difficulty with transit. I found the buses and trains very easy to use, especially with Google Maps helping with schedules. Even Ostia Antica (which I recommend) was easy by train.

If your kids want to see the Vatican, but you don't want it to consume your day, you could consider booking an early-entry highlights tour of the museum/Sistine Chapel followed by a visit to the basilica? We're actually going on one the day of embarkation: we meet our guide at 7:30 am and we should be transferring to Civitavecchia before noon.

If you're looking for things to see in the Colosseum on the 4th day, you might be interested in St. Clement's Basilica, which was built on earlier structures, including a temple to Mithras? I haven't visited myself yet, but it's on my list for this trip. Every time we visit, we see something new (to us, at least, LOL)!

I agree you have the basics of a good plan in place.

I also would map out a route for your walk -- you might want to include (instead of walking as far as the Vatican) a stroll by the tomb of Augustus and a brief visit to the Ara Pacis museum across the street (it is wonderful and takes little time). And Castel Sant'Angelo isn't too far either.

Question -- is your Colosseum tour really from 1:45 (13:45) to 6:00 pm? Seems long -- are they including anything else?

Regarding the Appian Way, the old portion starting from just past the Tomb of Cecilia Metella is not in regular use, so you should still be able to enjoy it. Aqueduct Park is absolutely fantastic, a beautiful place. If you need some input putting together a good plan for the day, I have done bits and pieces of it several times. Don't plan on walking every bit, buses can help with some stretches (e.g., the part of the Appian Way still in use, from Domine Quo Vadis to the Tomb of C.M. which is still in use and not very interesting....)

Rome is hard, because everything sounds like it’s worth a look!

That’s a really good point about having a plan for the first day. I’m trying not to be too dictatorial, but then we waste opportunities. I’ll embrace my inner Julius!

I think we have to look at Saint Clement’s; thank you, trosebery!

Cruisemom, our tour is the Colosseum (including the ground floor), but it ventures into the Forum and Palantine Hill. I can’t imagine 4 hours being enough time to see everything, but I’m looking forward to finding out! I’m feeling more confident about my park and picnic day, and we will definitely use buses. I suspected CM’s tomb might be dull, but it’s all about the road. My brother is an engineer, so we shall make ourselves comfortable while he expounds!

Thank you for the help!

I’m feeling more confident about my park and picnic day, and we will definitely use buses. I suspected CM’s tomb might be dull, but it’s all about the road. My brother is an engineer, so we shall make ourselves comfortable while he expounds!

Thank you for the help!

Oops, just re-read what I posted earlier. I didn't mean to imply that the tomb of Cecilia Metella is boring, not at all. Merely that the stretch of road between that point and the Quo Vadis church isn't very scenic and it would be fine to take a bus along that portion.... Sorry for the poorly worded response.

Agree with the Appian Way; I just was there this Monday, you will not see anything from the acient street between the City wall and CM's Tomb; it's further out. But you can take a bus almost to the furthest catacomb CM's Tomb (I think it's Bus 118, which leaves from Piazza Venezia or the Colliseum) and start Walking from there.

I highly recommend also Ostia Antica, where you really get the feeling of a Roman City. Also try to climb the Dome of St.Peter's;

it's amazing.

I have always wanted to see Ostia Antica, but it may require another trip! Not that that’s a problem....:D

If only the Domus Aurea opened on weekdays. I think I’ll offer the option of Ostia Antica or the Domus Aurea. Maybe the group will split for that day, which is fine.

I’m glad I’m asking what to see... everyone is being very generous with sharing their experiences.

Can’t see everything, can’t see everything.....but I want to!